Back-up cameras. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0
Back-up cameras.

Does anyone on the forum use one? I'm seriously considering getting one. I love to know whats going on behind me.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
do you mean the ETI installed wireless camera on the rear of the Escape?

We have it and we love it.

Not only for backing up, but when we are driving on the freeway, it is a high angle viewpoint, and it makes it very very clear if we are safe to change lanes....

My wife and I both find it a bit difficult, sometimes, to judge, when using just the tow vehicle mirrors, (including the add on ones we have) if we are clear of a vehicle when doing a lane change, especially at night or in heavy rain....

the ETI installed wireless camera on the rear of the Escape is high up, and works very well, and makes it so easy to see a nice wide angle to see all 3 lanes behind!!!

highly recommended.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #3

I didn't know that had one it must be a recent addition to their options I' m going to the site to check this out.
Thanks for the input Al.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

I'm afraid I can't find this on their web site? Did you just have it installed by them?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I made a few comments about cameras in my thread "ultimate backup camera".

Depends on how much and how far back you want to see. I wouldn't be without one.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #6

Thanks for your input Ron. Was your installed by ETI?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Lots of threads on cameras. Here is my addition to one thread with a picture of ours. Just back from two week trip and still going strong.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...html#post24858
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
I'm afraid I can't find this on their web site? Did you just have it installed by them?
yes. it was on the option list / build sheet that they provided.

the model they use is a

Rear View Safety RVS-2CAM Wireless Backup Camera System with Dual Screen Monitor and Cigarette Lighter Adaptor

you can see it here

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014728I4Q

Note - many of the negative reviews don't relate to us, as those negative reviews are with metal trailers / Airstreams.

I find it works quite well..

Make sure the antenna is connected to the receiver on the dash......

and

in areas with lots of RF floating around, the picture will sometimes black out momentarily.

for example driving right past LAX airports, right past the runways, the picture blinks on and off..... a lot

but on an average CA freeway the receiver picture will go out momentarily about once every 5 minutes or every 15 minutes. ...

but
we love it.

it makes lane changing so much easier. as well as backing into a campsite

john
Old 04-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I originally had a Rear View System that I returned as they utilize the Blue Tooth communication method. I found it too susceptible to interference from other Blue Tooth items (every time my phone rang on the road the camera went wacko) so I returned it and had ETI put in a TADI system that runs on a different RF frequency. Dunno why ETI switched over to Rear View, unless it was a cost factor.

Also, by design, the Blue Tooth communication method is designed for 30 ft or less range. Could be stretching that with a larger trailer and a big truck. I have my transmitter mounted at the very front of the trailer over the bed and the receiver taped with VHB on my rear window, so my transmission distance is maybe 15 ft at most.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I originally had a Rear View System that I returned as they utilize the Blue Tooth communication method. I found it too susceptible to interference from other Blue Tooth items (every time my phone rang on the road the camera went wacko) so I returned it and had ETI put in a TADI system that runs on a different RF frequency. Dunno why ETI switched over to Rear View, unless it was a cost factor.

Also, by design, the Blue Tooth communication method is designed for 30 ft or less range. Could be stretching that with a larger trailer and a big truck. I have my transmitter mounted at the very front of the trailer over the bed and the receiver taped with VHB on my rear window, so my transmission distance is maybe 15 ft at most.
Hi Charlie

I just read the spec sheet, off the manufacturers website, plus the other manual, and could not find reference to bluetooth anywhere.

I don't think it is bluetooth, but i could be wrong

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/media...cam_lowres.pdf

and

the current spec for bluetooth says the range is longer than 30 feet. I myself have used current bluetooth devices longer than 30 feet.

Sorry to hear that your cell phone interfered with the Rear View Safety rig. Bummer.

ETI told me that they found the Rear View Safety rig to work quite a bit better, overall, than what they used before.

Sorry it didnt work for you.

john
Old 04-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
I'm in the process of installing a Rear View Safety wired system on our Airstream. I tried a wireless system on our Scamp, but the foil/bubble wrap insulation shielded the reception. I also installed a wireless system on my service body work truck which didn't work. The wired system is harder to install, but should prove to be worth the effort. Neither wireless system I tried was manufactured by Rear View Safety, so not comparing apples.
The system I am now installing is three cameras, all trailer mounted, a left and right mounted down low near the rear of the trailer to aid in parking, and a higher mounted center rear for overall viewing. The monitor is a quad screen, as they didn't offer a tri screen. A button on the screen toggles the views from the various divisions the monitor offers. The individual cameras will each have an exciter switch to make that camera be the viewed one if viewing a single screen full size image. The wiring loom has the trigger wires for the cameras so the installer just has to supply the switches, panel and voltage source. The kit supplies the wiring harness for truck, trailer, and slinky between. The receptacles look like mini trailer wiring connectors with weather flaps.
We leave Monday for a 3 day campout, so may not have the system wired for this trip, but will post how it works when I can.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:54 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Hi Charlie

I just read the spec sheet, off the manufacturers website, plus the other manual, and could not find reference to bluetooth anywhere.

I don't think it is bluetooth, but i could be wrong

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/media...cam_lowres.pdf

and

the current spec for bluetooth says the range is longer than 30 feet. I myself have used current bluetooth devices longer than 30 feet.

Sorry to hear that your cell phone interfered with the Rear View Safety rig. Bummer.

ETI told me that they found the Rear View Safety rig to work quite a bit better, overall, than what they used before.

Sorry it didnt work for you.

john
Bluetooth operates at frequencies between 2402-2480 or 2400-2483.5 MHz and the unit I had needed to be "paired", so since the RVS system operates at that frequency I called their techs and they advised it could be phone interference.

Returned that and switched to the TADI system (they started using a new frequency slot sometime in 2013) and haven't had any dropout or interference problems with this system. Didn't need to "pair" anything with it. Reace initially standardized on TADI at first but later changed to RVS.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
I'm in the process of installing a Rear View Safety wired system on our Airstream. The wired system is harder to install, but should prove to be worth the effort.
Russ
I'm a fan of hard wired systems. You're right, a little harder to install but no big deal. Once installed there're pretty much trouble free and not affected by what's around them.

Thought I might be going a little overboard thinking of putting an A-B switch on my original and my ultimate cameras but if you have 3 cameras......

I'll be interested to hear if your top camera shows objects at a distance more clearly than the side cameras do.

Ron
Old 04-24-2017, 01:07 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'll be interested to hear if your top camera shows objects at a distance more clearly than the side cameras do.

Ron
Have you thought of having a camera pointing forward, at the oncoming traffic?
Old 04-24-2017, 01:38 AM   #15

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Glen
The Rear View Safety hardwire harness has a pigtail for a forward camera. They are usually used to record driving histories with a DVR. I don't think I'll use one.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
Does anyone on the forum use one? I'm seriously considering getting one. I love to know whats going on behind me.

We got one and found out we didn't use it. Now sitting in a box in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Connie and John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #17

We ordered one from ETI. Worked good but found out we didn't use it at all. Now sitting in a box in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Connie and John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Umm, I already have one of those.

Ron
Old 04-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I got the Escape Rearview Camera option on my new E21. I picked up my E21 in Sumas, WA, on Friday, Apr 21, and so far, in my drive back to the east coast - over 1000 miles so far - it has worked flawlessly. I have a bike rack and my bicycle is on the back of the camper and with the camera I can see from the handle bars of my bicycle up to the horizon. It's so nice to be able to see what is directly behind me, whether for changing lanes, making turns, or just if anyone is there and if perhaps I'm slowing them down. Also I can be comforted that my bicycle is still there. I am really glad I got it and I recommend it.

John
johnp271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp271 View Post
I got the Escape Rearview Camera option on my new E21. I picked up my E21 in Sumas, WA, on Friday, Apr 21, and so far, in my drive back to the east coast - over 1000 miles so far - it has worked flawlessly. I have a bike rack and my bicycle is on the back of the camper and with the camera I can see from the handle bars of my bicycle up to the horizon. It's so nice to be able to see what is directly behind me, whether for changing lanes, making turns, or just if anyone is there and if perhaps I'm slowing them down. Also I can be comforted that my bicycle is still there. I am really glad I got it and I recommend it.

John
Hi John - i assume you have the Rear View Safety RVS-2CAM Wireless Backup Camera System? (meaning ETI are still using that model) - ?

For us it occasionally has the screen go black for 2-8 seconds.

but in areas of tons a radiowaves, such as driving right past an LAX runway, the screen is constantly going on and off....

does you do this?

otherwise we are very happy with it.

john