BAL X-Chocks - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #81

Trailer: 2014 19'
I read the instructions and with X chocks and you are supposed to level the trailer before installing them. Seems like you would need another set of chocks to keep the trailer from rolling away on slopes.

These work great for me and you can raise/lower your tongue no problem. I start hand tight and add a few turns after the trailer is all set. They come with a plate to set under them in soft sand/mud etc.

STANDARD TIRE LOCKING CHOCK
Model 28000A

Placed on the ground between tires, it locks wheels by applying force to both tires. Aids in trailer stabilizing and stops tire shifts.
  • Extends from 15-1/4" to 23-1/8".
  • Lightweight; easy to store.
  • Rust-inhibiting coating for long life.
  • Additional pressure can be applied by using the included tension bar.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Would never have thought to use Bal-X-chocks as a substitute. I like these very much from Etrailer; $13/ea.

Thanks Ross. Off the top of your head, about how tall are these? They look studier than what I have (and less likely to blow away).
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #83
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I read the instructions and with X chocks and you are supposed to level the trailer before installing them. Seems like you would need another set of chocks to keep the trailer from rolling away on slopes.
An excellent point, Klem. There's not supposed to be any rolling force when you apply the x-chocks. If there is, and they're not really tight, there will be some 'settling' and the chocks can come loose. It doesn't really come into play unless there's a pronounced slope to the site, but I block the wheels on the downhill side, level, then tighten up the x-chocks. Work well for us.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #84
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
The X chocks fit perfectly on our 2010
19. I put them in each time we camp. As others have noted they really eliminate any movement. Course I had to tear off my bumper sticker that said "if this coach is rockin' don't bother knockin'." Cause I know it ain't. And it's not a personal problem.
With the x chocks, stabilizer pads, wheel chocks (2) and front jack stand there's 9 stabilizing points when I'm set up. Rock solid with no rocks.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:56 PM   #85

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
We've had a few issues with our BAL X-chocks, so I did a little crawling around on the web and was somewhat dismayed by what I discovered... I thought I'd post on this thread to pass on the knowledge.

These so-called chocks are not suitable as stand-alone chocks at all.

If you go to the manufacturers website and watch their promotional video, they quite clearly state that you must unhitch and level your trailer before tightening the x-chocks. And you have to remove the x-chocks before hitching back up again.

There's no way I'm going to have my trailer unhitched with no chocks, no matter how level I think the ground may be. That means I need to have an additional set of chocks along, at least for the setup and takedown period.

The x-chocks do add a lot of stability to the trailer. I like them for that. But I'm annoyed that they aren't sufficient in themselves. I'll continue to use them, but now I'll have to add a regular set of chocks to my kit.

The issues we have had? We were concerned about the force they applied outwards on the axles, in a way the axles aren't designed to be forced, so were hesitant to crank down too hard on the x-chocks. We overcame that concern when the trailer rolled off the leveling blocks even though the x-chocks were (we thought) tightly engaged. And, in a bit of chaos during takedown on one trip, I managed to forget to remove one of the x-chocks before pulling the trailer off the leveling blocks. I didn't even notice -- the trailer pulled fine even with the x-chock in place.

We received a notice with the X-chocks that they are not to be used in place of actual chocks. The X-chocks are misnamed as they are simply stabilizers for when inside the trailer and, yes, you need your actual chocks down before using the Xs, and then remove the Xs first when leaving. They can also damage tires and have done so according to some reports from owners. We only use them when sitting for a few days as we don't usually want to bother with them.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:57 PM   #86

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Thanks Ross. Off the top of your head, about how tall are these? They look studier than what I have (and less likely to blow away).
Mike,
I got the identical type at Harbor Freight for about $8.
4" wide; 6-3/4" long (along the base); and 6"- high.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:44 AM   #87

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
I really like the bal x chocks.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #88

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
These is my observations from near six years of use with the X-chocks. It seems to differ from what others have observed.

For starters, we love how they stabilize the trailer. We even notice when we do the quick stop, and are still hooked to the tow, that there is more movement than when they are used with the tow detached.

I have very rarely used wedge type chocks now since owning the X-chocks, and routinely set up on sloped ground, not using campsite pads very often, and have never had an issue. I don't even carry wedge chocks.

They work great as chocks. There was no documentation that came with mine that indicated wedge type must be used too, nor can I find anything on their site. Does anyone have a copy of that? I wouldn't mind seeing it.

There is absolutely no sign of wear on my tires from the X-chocks, and I still have the original tires on, which have now seen more than 6 years of using them. I can't see how they would possibly damage a tire compared to the abuse the tires take from regular usage. Just hitting a couple potholes or rocks likely does more damage than a year of use from the X-chocks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #89

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

They work great as chocks. There was no documentation that came with mine that indicated wedge type must be used too, nor can I find anything on their site. Does anyone have a copy of that? I wouldn't mind seeing it
Check out the video. 'After you disconnect and level the trailer' you install the Xchock.

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

And take the Xchock off "before" connecting to the vehicle.

Obviously in the video there is no chock on the ground .. but the spot is level. That's why I like this one:
Model 28000A
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #90

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Check out the video. 'After you disconnect and level the trailer' you install the Xchock.

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

And take the Xchock off "before" connecting to the vehicle.

Obviously in the video there is no chock on the ground .. but the spot is level. That's why I like this one:
Model 28000A
I did watch that, and they are definitely on very level ground, something that is a rarity. My point though, was that I never saw them chock the trailer, or even make a suggestion of it, nor did I find anything on a search. Someone mentioned documentation that came with the X-chocks said to use wedge chocks too, but I have never seen that, and was wondering if anyone had a copy.

If on a slope, I first level the tires, adding Lynx levellers under the low tires, as well as levelling side to side. I then put in the X-chock, and then uncouple. As we discussed previously, seeing my trailer has a torsion axle, it certainly should be able to handle a bit of torque, as what I am additionally applying is way less that the axle takes just sitting with the weight of the trailer on it.

As I mentioned, 6 years with the same tires, and no signs of any problems doing it this way at all. This all comes down to the fact I like to keep things simple, yet effective.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #91

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
First I level the trailer with the back bubble, then I place a 2x6 before and after one wheel, then I unhitch. After leveling with the door side bubble I drop the corner braces and then I insert and tighten up my homeboy X-chocks. Everything stays put.
Attached Thumbnails
Levelng2A.jpg