BAL X-Chocks - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We've had a few issues with our BAL X-chocks, so I did a little crawling around on the web and was somewhat dismayed by what I discovered... I thought I'd post on this thread to pass on the knowledge.

These so-called chocks are not suitable as stand-alone chocks at all.

If you go to the manufacturers website and watch their promotional video, they quite clearly state that you must unhitch and level your trailer before tightening the x-chocks. And you have to remove the x-chocks before hitching back up again.

There's no way I'm going to have my trailer unhitched with no chocks, no matter how level I think the ground may be. That means I need to have an additional set of chocks along, at least for the setup and takedown period.

The x-chocks do add a lot of stability to the trailer. I like them for that. But I'm annoyed that they aren't sufficient in themselves. I'll continue to use them, but now I'll have to add a regular set of chocks to my kit.

The issues we have had? We were concerned about the force they applied outwards on the axles, in a way the axles aren't designed to be forced, so were hesitant to crank down too hard on the x-chocks. We overcame that concern when the trailer rolled off the leveling blocks even though the x-chocks were (we thought) tightly engaged. And, in a bit of chaos during takedown on one trip, I managed to forget to remove one of the x-chocks before pulling the trailer off the leveling blocks. I didn't even notice -- the trailer pulled fine even with the x-chock in place.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #72

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My favorite chocks. (Won't leave home without 'em.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chocks.jpg (54.6 KB, 7 views)

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #73

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
The Bal-X chocks and other commercially available systems for chocking between tandem wheels are intended to help decrease the amount of trailer movement that occurs while parked, and should be used in combination with conventional wedge type chocks on either side of the wheels. Even the home-built system mentioned earlier in this thread should be used in conjunction with wedge chocks. When I use my wheel chocks in combination with the Bal-X type chocks, the trailer is very solid with very little movement from people inside the trailer. I find the most critical time for needing the wedge chocks is when hitching or unhitching, before the Bal-X chocks are in place. One of the things you need to watch out for with the Bal-X type chocks that brace between the tandem wheels is that if placed when the tires are still hot from driving, they can loosen up when the tires cool down. I have noticed this myself and will often check them a couple hours after installed to make sure they are still tight.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #74

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Yup, what Dave said. They definitely make the trailer more stable, but they aren't sufficient of themselves as chocks.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I mostly just use the X-Chocks alone, and have had no issues. If I have to crank the hitch up or down a lot, I do release any twisting pressure on them though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:00 PM   #76

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I wish I had read this thread earlier. I just had an incident with my X-Chocks. I was using it in place of wedge chocks, not in addition to them. I came inside my trailer and soon heard a groaning sound and felt the trailer lurch forward. I went outside and saw the X-Chock on the ground. My truck was parked crossways just in front of the trailer hitch. I hurriedly put wedge chocks under the tires, moved the truck out of the way, and put the X-chock back in place, ratcheting down as tight as it would go. I'm on a slight forward slope but I think everything is stable now. The truck is out of the way now, which is the main thing. I can't believe I was dumb enough to park it in front of the trailer on a downhill slope.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #77

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Mike, I have had a vehicle parked in front of my trailer, with a good slope one the drive for 6 1/2 years now. No wedge chocks, only the BAL X-Chocks. No issues either, though I do ensure they are well tightened.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:12 PM   #78

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Would never have thought to use Bal-X-chocks as a substitute. I like these very much from Etrailer; $13/ea.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:23 PM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
This is the second time the X-Chocks have popped out from between my tires. On the first occasion I had just bought them and forgot to remove them when I pulled away. I felt nothing-- no resistance like when a parking brake is left on, or anything odd. Miles later I realized what I had done, turned around, and sheepishly went back to my campground to retrieve the X-Chocks from the campground owner. They had just popped out from between the tires when I pulled away.

I bought the X-Chocks because I discovered that our trailers are light enough that the wind will push them around when they are parked. It will push one way, loosening wedge chocks, then shift direction and blow the wedge chocks out from beneath the tires. This happened to me in New Mexico. Conceivably the wind could shift direction a second time and blow a trailer downhill into a lake or something.

From now on I'm using both the wedge chocks and the X-Chocks in combination, until something better comes along. And I'm not parking my TV downhill from the trailer.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:35 PM   #80

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Yeah, slopes can be tricky. Had my tongue jack slide sideways off the prop- which was one item on top of another. At home with an upslope I have a chunk of broken concrete triangle a foot wide from point to point and it does the job.

When unhooking downslope I sometimes keep a chain left on the TV(uncross it for added length) until am satisfied all is stable. Usually in that situation the leveling after unhook takes care of it.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote