BAL X-Chocks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: BAL X-Chocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by memobug
I'll put a red bulb in the porch light!
I swapped out the white porch light for a yellow on the theory that insects aren't attracted to the yellow.
Now I know why they aren't attracted. They can't see the light cause it's so dim or at least that spectrum provides little visibility.

Basically, I know where the door is because I can see that the light is on. I just can't see anything in the area. No way you could sit outside under the awning and read by it.

baglo
Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #22

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Has anybody tried using an X-type chock on just one side of the camper? Pros and cons to this? --Liz
Old 09-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19

We use one on only one side of our 19' and it works great. It is almost mandatory if you have to level the trailer on one side using wood or the stackable blocks, because the chocks will not provide enough support if the wheels are lifted. Also, you can lock it, which provides just that much more security while you are gone.
2005 yellow lab
slomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape

Thanks for the info on X-Chocks. I ordered some from Camping World and received them yesterday. They make the trailer feel remarkably solid. I think it is a much better solution for 19' dual axle trailers than trying to upgrade the stabilizer jacks. Not that there is a problem with the standard set up, but my wife had commented a few times this summer about trailer movement.
robinwstebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #25

I'm glad to hear you like the x-chocks. Hubby would like to buy just one, mostly because he wants only one to install and remove all the time. We have been doing pop-up camping for many years and it leaves us weary of all the work it takes to collapse the camper and move on. Therefore, hubby wants the least number of steps with our new Escape, including just one x-chock. I just don't want to regret buying only one. I wrote to the x-chock company with the basic specs of the Escape 19, and their response was noncommittal about one vs. two. Alas, it's just one of those personal preference things apparently.

Robin, if you ever think of it, could you report the difference in stability when you put on the first x-chock vs. when you add the second one? Thanks! --Liz
Old 09-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Liz, it takes me about a minute to install two X-chocks, and 30 seconds to pull them both out. They are very fast and easy to use. They are one of my favourite purchases for our trailer. Would highly recommend them. I would imagine just using one would work fairly well too, but for the extra $40, I would definitely want to use two.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #27

Any thoughts on locking chocks, would be a good way to prevent an authorized tow - any brands offer that feature.
Solar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #28

The BAL X-Chocks can be locked with a padlock. I only tighten them to the point they are snugged and won't allow the tires to rotate. If I wanted, I could force them out relatively easy, with a bar or hammer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #29

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape

Liz - You made me curious. I removed the X-Chock on the door side, and could definitely see a difference. When I rocked back and forth there was noticable trailer movement, although not as much as with none installed. I weighed the unit at 5.2 pounds. I don't think my wfe would have been happy with only one.
robinwstebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I just bought a pair of these for my new 19. I'm pleased with them.

But the OP was right to be concerned about the fit. BAL provides a convenient little 3/4" ratcheting wrench with the chocks. The fiberglass V between the wheels of the 19 dips low enough, and the adjustment nut on the x-chock is high enough, that there isn't room between the chock and the fiberglass for the wrench.

So, they're great as long as you don't mind replacing the ratchet with an open-end wrench. But once you've adjusted them to fit your wheels, it only takes a few turns between locked and released, so not having a ratchet isn't a big deal.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #31

Do you think two are needed or could you get by with just one.
Jrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We don't usually bother with ours either because we don't want to or we forget we have them. If sitting for a while, we may use them.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #33

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post

But the OP was right to be concerned about the fit. BAL provides a convenient little 3/4" ratcheting wrench with the chocks. The fiberglass V between the wheels of the 19 dips low enough, and the adjustment nut on the x-chock is high enough, that there isn't room between the chock and the fiberglass for the wrench.

So, they're great as long as you don't mind replacing the ratchet with an open-end wrench. But once you've adjusted them to fit your wheels, it only takes a few turns between locked and released, so not having a ratchet isn't a big deal.
Mine works fine. I leave the ratcheting wrench in the chock and don`t need to remove it until I leave camp.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #34

Quote:

I have been using them for a few years now, and really like them too. WAY less movement when walking inside.

We use the wrench that comes with it with no issue. It clears the skirt on the wheels just fine for us. Could there be something different with our trailers?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
Do you think two are needed or could you get by with just one.
We've gone back and forth over whether two are preferable over one, and right now we think one is enough. Like Jim, we have no trouble with the wrench fit.

--Liz
Old 06-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #36

I have never tried just one. I bought a set and loved the effect on stability they had, and just keep using both. I would imagine it helps a bit, though one would definitely make a huge difference on its own.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #37

Quote:

I saw a video demonstration where they turned it upside down and tightened it with the ratchet from below.
Jrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #38

I think one would work fine for the purpose of preventing the trailer from rolling away on you, but I think two make for better stability (though I don't know that -- I'd want to test).

DIdn't occur to me to leave the ratchet in place -- that works if you only use one, but not if you use two (unless you've got 2 ratchets... The pair only came with one wrench).

Jim: 2009 Escape 19 vs. 2013 Escape 19. Likely some minor change in the trailer (frame or axles, I would guess) has shaved off a little bit of clearance.

Jrn56: Looking at them, I'd have thought the threaded rod extends out the opposite side of the chock further than the nut sticks out, so flipping them around would make them worse. Another thing to test, I guess.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #39

OK, testing done. I went out and pulled off one of the chocks and tried to flip it around. As I thought, there's less clearance with the adjustment nut down than there is with it up.

While I had the one chock off, I got into the trailer and bounced around a little. Put the chock back on and did it again. The difference in stability between 1 and 2 chocks is detectable, but not significant. If money were tight, one chock would be adequate.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #40

I thought the idea of upside down was a good one, and don't see why it wouldn't work. What would get in the way then? The skirt would not go down that far. Got any photos, Doug?