Bathroom Medicine Cabinet Retrofit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Bathroom Medicine Cabinet Retrofit

Decided that the bathroom needs some better storage. Really like that Escape now offers a medicine cabinet in newer units with a newly molded bathroom to allow it to be recessed. I would like to recess one as well to not encroach on the bathroom space. Found a lightweight plastic mirrored medicine cabinet at Lowe's that I think is perfect. My plan is to recess it into the rear wall on the 19 which puts a few inches of it into the wardrobe. I added 4 additional magnetic closers to keep it securely closed during travel and take stress off the hinges. Snuck in a GFI weatherproof outlet within the cabinet for hair dryer use, etc. Will most likely power this off the dedicated circuit that is now free from the removal of the overhead A/C unit (in favor of our mini-split that is powered off another breaker I added). Any thoughts before I cut a ~17"x13" hole?

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Sour...binet/50036876
Attached Thumbnails
medcab1.jpg   medcab2.jpg   medcab3.jpg   medcab4.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #2

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Any thoughts before I cut a ~17"x13" hole?
..let us pray...
interesting project especially with vac in wet bath.....there are some very creative craftsman with Escapes!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Decided that the bathroom needs some better storage. Really like that Escape now offers a medicine cabinet in newer units with a newly molded bathroom to allow it to be recessed. I would like to recess one as well to not encroach on the bathroom space. Found a lightweight plastic mirrored medicine cabinet at Lowe's that I think is perfect. My plan is to recess it into the rear wall on the 19 which puts a few inches of it into the wardrobe. I added 4 additional magnetic closers to keep it securely closed during travel and take stress off the hinges. Snuck in a GFI weatherproof outlet within the cabinet for hair dryer use, etc. Will most likely power this off the dedicated circuit that is now free from the removal of the overhead A/C unit (in favor of our mini-split that is powered off another breaker I added). Any thoughts before I cut a ~17"x13" hole?
Looks like a good project. I would consider adding some sort of lip or retainer bar to the shelves so that when you open the cabinet all the items don't all of a sudden slide out.

How are you planning on attaching the cabinet to the bath wall? Of course it will need to be sealed.

Interested in seeing how this works out . . . I have a 19 also.
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
..let us pray...
interesting project..there are some very handy craftsman with Escapes!
The whole I cut through the shower and outer trailer wall to add the bath window made me a little nervous! This is easy.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
The whole I cut through the shower and outer trailer wall to add the bath window made me a little nervous! This is easy.
Hi: rubicon327... You still have to "Measure twice and cut once". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 15A
I assume the mirror is glass?
Any concerns with the glass breaking and being in the shower?
The ETI supplied mirror in our trailer closet door is plastic, unbreakable (not in a bathroom).
I'm looking for a replacement mirror that makes me look younger so I can continue to justify doing things I shouldn't still be doing!!
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oh man! I NEED this in Ten Forward. I have an assortment of baskets hanging off the walls. And while they work, THIS is a clean and neat solution. I wouldn't mind the encroachment into the wardrobe. It doesn't look like much space is lost.

I'm going to follow this mod carefully. Please post lots of pics as you go along.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Does that make the mirror over the toilet?
Old 03-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Caution: Do not cut the hole on the exterior wall for this retrofit. Just sayin'......

I had always planned to do something like this in my 19. Glad to see someone doing it. My first thought was a surface mount over the toilet where it is out of the way, but this might be better.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I like a toiletries bag. You can take it to the campground shower or use it in the trailer. Just hang it on a hook.
No worries about the aspirin bottle falling out of a cabinet into the toilet.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I like a toiletries bag. You can take it to the campground shower or use it in the trailer. Just hang it on a hook.
What makes you think it would be for you anyway?

Heck, I don't even need a bag for a toothbrush, razor and deodorant, the extent of my kit. Okay, a bar of soap too, but that does not go in the medicine cabinet anyway. Lisa on the other hand........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Does that make the mirror over the toilet?
Quote:
On the new 19's the stock medicine cabinet is over the toilet. My proposed location is towards the back of the trailer which puts this up above and next to the sink.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

I'm going to follow this mod carefully. Please post lots of pics as you go along.
Yup, hurry up and get it done, there's probably a lot of folks who'd like this mod once they see how it works out.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: rubicon327... You still have to "Measure twice and cut once". Alf
I think that's "measure once, cut twice." At least, that's my motto (from lots of experience)
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
How are you planning on attaching the cabinet to the bath wall? Of course it will need to be sealed.
I haven't entirely figured this out yet. I was thinking a tight fit within the two wall layers, some screws through the surrounding flange into the fiberglass wall liner (the mirror front sits off the flange a bit when closed enough to clear screw heads) and caulk around the perimeter. The wardrobe had shelving from the factory so maybe there is some reinforcement I can leverage? Haven't investigated the wall very closely yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: rubicon327... You still have to "Measure twice and cut once".
For this install I will likely go through each layer individually so I guess my motto is going to be "Measure four times and cut twice"!
Old 03-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #16

Quote:
I haven't entirely figured this out yet. I was thinking a tight fit within the two wall layers, some screws through the surrounding flange into the fiberglass wall liner (the mirror front sits off the flange a bit when closed enough to clear screw heads) and caulk around the perimeter. The wardrobe had shelving from the factory so maybe there is some reinforcement I can leverage? Haven't investigated the wall very closely yet.
What about attaching some blocking (could be 2x2 or something smaller) in the closet, glued and screwed from the bathroom side with the screw heads ending up under the flange? Then screw the cabinet in place from the inside of the cabinet into the blocking using a couple screws per side. Then caulk around the perimeter as planned. This will be very solid with no fasteners showing on the outside of the unit.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: gbaglo... But if that happens it would cure your PITA!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What about attaching some blocking (could be 2x2 or something smaller) in the closet, glued and screwed from the bathroom side with the screw heads ending up under the flange? Then screw the cabinet in place from the inside of the cabinet into the blocking using a couple screws per side. Then caulk around the perimeter as planned. This will be very solid with no fasteners showing on the outside of the unit.
I really like this. Thanks Jim. With the hollow void likely between the two walls I may need to sandwich some blocking within as well so the walls aren't drawn together creating a warped surface and a flange unable to lay flat.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #19

Quote:
I really like this. Thanks Jim. With the hollow void likely between the two walls I may need to sandwich some blocking within as well so the walls aren't drawn together creating a warped surface and a flange unable to lay flat.
If the void is big enough you may be able to use what you sandwich in it as the blocking.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If the void is big enough you may be able to use what you sandwich in it as the blocking.
True. Probably only about an inch or so though. I fed a wire through the wardrobe wall into the bath behind the light when I did the bath fan upgrade and don't remember it being much.