Bathroom shevling - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Bathroom shevling

Josie has been after me to come up with an extension for the sink and a shelf over the commode. So here is the protype a simple system using command hooks and removable shelf. This will be an extended trial period since we are now on route to Osoyoos and other adventures and will be on the road for 6 to 7 months.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0196.JPG   image1.JPG   image2.JPG  

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Nicely done. Is that a cedar fence? I may have to do that.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I like the concept and could see it used in several places in the trailer as well as the bathroom.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Very interesting idea. I will be curious to see how well the 3M Command hooks hold up with that, please keep us posted.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
So here is the protype a simple system using command hooks and removable shelf.
Good luck on it being a prototype. I do that sometimes and often it ends up being there for the long term.

Nice idea. Would be very handy to have a little counter space beside the sink.

Myron, I think you should make one of those sink units entirely out of your purple heart look-alike wood.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:14 PM   #6

The wood on the longer shelf is cedar cabinet liner. We had some left over from other projects.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
Old 05-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #7

I had looked at several different command hooks this one filled the bill by carrying ten pounds per hook and being aprox. 1\2" wide.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:53 PM   #8

Heard that, Ron. So I'm looking at maybe adding shelves on the sink wall. It could be done without drilling any holes. Maybe unscrew a couple of them screws attaching the sink to the wall and inserting straps that go straight up, and serving as an attachment point for two shelves.

Note my wood grab bar which I made for the shower head I will never use. (It is there for others.) The shelf straps would connect to it. It is screwed into the wall using the same hole the original holder used, but my screws go through to the closet so it will never get pulled off. Think this is better than grabbing a suction cup.
Attached Thumbnails
shower1.jpg  
Old 05-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
maybe adding shelves on the sink wall. It could be done without drilling any holes. Maybe unscrew a couple of them screws attaching the sink to the wall and inserting straps that go straight up,
I have that design constraint on my projects. My wife cringes if I mention that a mod involves drilling holes in the trailer. I was also looking at those screws that hold the sink. Pretty strong attachment point.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #10

My build requirements did not include any reinforcement in any walls. Seems to be enough cross framing inside at key areas to serve. So far I've found them all.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
I had looked at several different command hooks this one filled the bill by carrying ten pounds per hook and being aprox. 1\2" wide.
Hopefully they will hold up after long term use.....keep us posted.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 17B
Hi, I was just looking at this old thread. I'd be curious to hear how the shelf has held up. Thanks!
Jon & Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #13

2 1/2 years later the shelves have held up very well. The shelf next to the sink has been invaluable we use it all the time. The shelf on the front wall holds a variety of items that we need handy. We have become complacent with them to the point we typically we’ll travel with the front shelf loaded with out much falling off if any. The command hooks have not moved or come off . We travel with both shelves in place, the first several trips we would remove the shelves an store them on the bed, now they travel in place. As expected The only thing that has not held up was the lacquer finish. At this point we’re only 1/2 way through the testing phase so in another 2 1/2 years when testing has been completed we’ll let you know how they have preformed.