Bed lift on a 21'? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 725
Red face Bed lift on a 21'?

I was looking at the bed platform in my 21' today and thinking that it is so awkward to open. I am thinking about moving the hinges so that it lifts from back instead of the side. Has anyone done this? Also thinking of putting gas shocks on it to assist the lift and hold it open. Has anyone put lifts on the bed platform?

Interested in any comments, how to size shocks etc. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150417_100221285.jpg (139.2 KB, 44 views)
__________________

__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,357
Haven't needed access that way with the extra door inside & standard outside hatch.
__________________

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
paulw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Marysville, Washington
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Posts: 632
Dave&Kathie have the set up you're considering. Dave posted about it about a year ago.
Favourite Escape option, aftermarket accessory, prewire, and mod
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Dave&Kathie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Portland, OR, Oregon
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Posts: 416
We did add a bed lift. Our 21 was #8 off the line and the hatch is oriented the other way so it opens from the bottom. Here's the link to the discussion Favourite Escape option, aftermarket accessory, prewire, and mod

Sorry about the pics, they aren't oriented very well but you get the idea. We ordered the small hatch lifts. They come in a pair. Dave had to do some tweaking - moving the extra board he installed but the hatch wouldn't close with two lifts so he took one out and tweaked the other again. Works great. It will hold the mattress up but not with the bedding, so I throw the bedding back off the corner when I use it.

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 725
Thanks so much. I vaguely remembered seeing this post but was having trouble finding it. I am sure it will save a lot of trial and error.
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
TAfraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Auburn, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Posts: 383
Ours was the third off the assembly line and it was hinged forward like you're considering. A friend took delivery of his 21 a year later with your orientation. We changed his to the forward hinges along with drilling a new hole at the end of the plywood, and he's much happier.

Instead of using a gas shock, I used a permanently installed 1"X2" stick, like in most newer cars. It's hinged at the end of the bed for easy reach. I rounded the ends of the stick and attached Velcro to both the contact end of the stick and bottom of the opening plywood so it wouldn't slip. There's also a wooden catch at the other end of the pivot point so the stick won't fall behind the drawer that's now installed in that space. Works like a champ and it won't wear out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_4577.jpg (274.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_4571.jpg (261.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_4595.jpg (200.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_4599.jpg (227.2 KB, 56 views)
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I was looking at the bed platform in my 21' today and thinking that it is so awkward to open. I am thinking about moving the hinges so that it lifts from back instead of the side. Has anyone done this? Also thinking of putting gas shocks on it to assist the lift and hold it open. Has anyone put lifts on the bed platform?

Interested in any comments, how to size shocks etc. Thanks!
If you look at the side and forward hinged versions, the parting line between the two plywood pieces has moved. Dave and Kathies has the hinges beyond the bathroom, while the side hinged version has the break behind the edge of the bathroom. I suspect ETI changed their bed framing, and relocated the hinges to the side so the access panel will clear the corner of the bathroom when it is raised.

I also considered relocating the hinges, but since that area is now full of drawers, decided not to do so.
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 725
I switched the hinges yesterday to hinge at the front. I had to take a 1/4" off the front of the plywood panel to give it room for the hinge barrels. Also I needed to take an additional nibble out of the front right hand corner to clear the trim on the corner of the bath. It works well. I still need to add a new finger hole to allow grasping the panel to start to lift it.

Bedlifts are next. I am wondering if the Bedlift Kit - X Small would allow both gas springs to be used? Apparently both cylinders of the "Small" are too much and the bed won't stay closed.
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #9
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I switched the hinges yesterday to hinge at the front. I had to take a 1/4" off the front of the plywood panel to give it room for the hinge barrels. Also I needed to take an additional nibble out of the front right hand corner to clear the trim on the corner of the bath. It works well. I still need to add a new finger hole to allow grasping the panel to start to lift it.

Bedlifts are next. I am wondering if the Bedlift Kit - X Small would allow both gas springs to be used? Apparently both cylinders of the "Small" are too much and the bed won't stay closed.
Might be able to futz with the placement of the lower end to make using both sides workable. They get softer at end-of-travel.
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:25 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Might be able to futz with the placement of the lower end to make using both sides workable. They get softer at end-of-travel.
That's what I'm thinking...
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 725
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
We did add a bed lift. Our 21 was #8 off the line and the hatch is oriented the other way so it opens from the bottom. Here's the link to the discussion Favourite Escape option, aftermarket accessory, prewire, and mod

Sorry about the pics, they aren't oriented very well but you get the idea. We ordered the small hatch lifts. They come in a pair. Dave had to do some tweaking - moving the extra board he installed but the hatch wouldn't close with two lifts so he took one out and tweaked the other again. Works great. It will hold the mattress up but not with the bedding, so I throw the bedding back off the corner when I use it.

Kathie
Kathie (or Dave)

When you had the two lifts did the bed come up on its own? You had to go to a single so it would not pop up by itself? You say you have to pull bedding off to let it stay up by itself with only a single lift. Would moving the bottom out slightly let it stay up? I don't want to throw covers back, so I am trying to figure out whether to order the extra small kit and make that work buy adjusting the mounting locations. Thanks so much.
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Dave&Kathie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Portland, OR, Oregon
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Posts: 416
You might be able to tweak the one to hold the mattress and covers up. Dave had already moved it twice and was done I think. I will ask him when he gets home. With two it would pop up on its own, it wouldn't stay closed. No big deal throwing the covers back - remember it's just the corner.

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 725
My Bedlift arrived yesterday. I decide to go with the small and do only one side. If I installed one on the right side, the bracket would have hung down in the storage access door. Despite multiple attempts I could not find a location that held up the panel and also closed properly. The left rear corner wanted to ride up about an inch. I ended up mounting 3 magnetic catches that keep the panel snugged in the full closed position. I also had to adjust the hinge screws to keep the panel snugged forward as the lift wants to force the panel towards the back of the trailer. Now all is working well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150430_210712843.jpg (176.2 KB, 95 views)
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #14
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,392
Nice job, that heater and timer look familiar.....
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Despite multiple attempts I could not find a location that held up the panel and also closed properly. The left rear corner wanted to ride up about an inch.
Carl, did you adjust the moving and fixed ends separately, or did you move them as a set? If you adjusted them separately, did you move the fixed end vertically (such as down that bit of framing), horizontally (along the opening frame), or both?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Carl, did you adjust the moving and fixed ends separately, or did you move them as a set? If you adjusted them separately, did you move the fixed end vertically (such as down that bit of framing), horizontally (along the opening frame), or both?
I moved it every which way but loose! I had an additional piece of framing and was moving it up down and sideways.
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I moved it every which way but loose! I had an additional piece of framing and was moving it up down and sideways.
I think part of the issue is doing all the lifting from one side. Extra small lifts might work. Actually the bracket on the right hand side would not block the storage opening hardly any at all. I already had the small lifts and had wiring in the road from my heater mod. Extra small still might be too much. Anyway its working now for me.
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #18
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,392
So what size lift did you use and source? Thanks
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So what size lift did you use and source? Thanks
I went with the small at Hatchlift.com. X-small might work if you use both. I did add a small piece of wood at the bottom end to screw into. As I mention, the one corner wanted to ride up and magnetic catches took care of that. With the small you have two in the kit, so you have a spare.

Bedlift Kit - Small

__________________

__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×