before the construction... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
before the construction...

... there's a certain amount of deconstruction.

Got the winterizing done this weekend, along with a bunch of prep for projects I have planned for the winter.

The bed is taken completely apart (mattress and platform removed). I did this originally to make fixing the city water check valve easier, but it's still in this condition in order to give access to the power cord. We'll be implementing Techfan's (Tim's) storage bag for the power cord (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post25893).

The under-bed cabinet doors are removed, in preparation for building drawers.

And I removed the range hood, in preparation for a shelf for storing coffee cups and other commonly used kitchen items. (Anybody want a barely-used range hood?)

One other planned project, not requiring any deconstruction: install a music system over the dinette.

Still lots of design work to do on these things. One big drawer or two smaller ones? How will I leave access to the water pump once the drawers are in? That sort of thing.

Lots of fun winter projects.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1815-reduced.jpg   IMG_1816-reduced.jpg  

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If you put in one large wide drawer, I think accessing the stuff would make a long stretch, kinda awkward. I like Bret's solution: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post20365
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Still lots of design work to do on these things. One big drawer or two smaller ones? How will I leave access to the water pump once the drawers are in? That sort of thing.
I am facing the same dilema.

One drawer would be simpler, weight less, cost less (though this really is not a condition for me), have more usable space (due to the loss in the middle for additional slides and drawer boxes), and it would be easier to adjust how things are stored.

The only advantage of the double drawers is a bit better accessibility.

Some time ago, I bought a set of the heavy slides at 36". I am still leaning towards the one drawer, but am now considering 30" slides.

For access to the pump or water tank, I plan to have the sides only 4" tall at the most as for the most part it will all be compartmentalized with bins and baskets. Another thing I was thinking was to make the piece of OSB over the pump and heater hinged too, for better access from above.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you put in one large wide drawer, I think accessing the stuff would make a long stretch, kinda awkward. I like Bret's solution: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post20365
Yup, that's one of the tradeoffs. On the other hand, two separate drawers means space lost to the drawer sides and divider mechanism between them.

These tradeoffs, and many others, all need to be resolved one way or the other.

This is a part of the exercise I enjoy. Envisioning every option, putting them together (in my mind) in all the myriad ways, trying to trade off one benefit or issue against another.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Some time ago, I bought a set of the heavy slides at 36". I am still leaning towards the one drawer, but am now considering 30" slides.
I'm going less depth -- I still want room at the back of the trailer for chairs and tables and bug tents and such. I'm figuring on making the drawer about 22" deep. That specific depth is important, because that's the depth after which it runs into the handle for the cabinet under the fridge. (The nearer handle for the bottom cabinets in front of the sink is closer to the bed, but it's not in the path of a full-width drawer, so not a concern.)

A smaller front-to-back dimension makes reaching into the back of the drawer a little less awkward. But, yeah, to get into the back corner is still going to be a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For access to the pump or water tank, I plan to have the sides only 4" tall at the most as for the most part it will all be compartmentalized with bins and baskets. Another thing I was thinking was to make the piece of OSB over the pump and heater hinged too, for better access from above.
OSB? Mine is plywood. I'm happy that way -- really don't like OSB.

I was thinking of hinging it as well. Or simply leave it in place without screws so it can be lifted out easily -- I think that would work, since it is held in place under the mattress.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

Trailer: None
Weight of the single drawer might also be a consideration. With four large bins, it could get pretty heavy.

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #7

Two design possibilities I'm working with right now: either drawer slides on the sides, or ball bearing rollers under the drawer.

It's easy to find slides rated for 75lbs each. With more money thrown at the problem, they could be rated as high as 300lbs each.

Rollers under the drawer can be as numerous, and thus carry as much weight, as required.

So weight isn't really a problem, so much as simply a factor to be worked into the design. Make sure the slide mechanism can handle the weight, and the latching mechanism can handle the mass.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

btw, one thing I like very much about Chet's solution is the fact that the separate bins makes it possible and easy to load the bins while in the house and carry them out to the trailer preloaded.

I'm envisioning using these bins for clothes and personal items rather than for stuff that lives in the trailer year 'round, so easy loading for each trip is a consideration.

Not to mention separate bins makes it harder for the wife to claim all the space...

Old 10-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #9

Trailer: None
As much as 300 lbs.? Maybe the mechanism can handle the weight but can your wife? A single large, deep, heavy drawer would be difficult for me, I know.

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #10

A 300lb drawer on good slides moves quite easily.

And my wife can deadlift more than I can... (&#@(* knees...)

Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The problem with a single drawer is you cannot stand beside it and reach items easily. You have to REACH to pick up things at the back. My surgery fixed back would not like that, if the items are even a bit heavy. YMMV It's all about your needs now and in the future....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #12

Understood. At the moment I'm still thinking clothes and other light objects in this storage area. But heavy objects at the back would certainly be awkward.

And while I'm leaning towards a single drawer at the moment, I haven't stopped thinking about alternatives. The design is still in progress, and likely will be for a while. I'll implement the other, more straight forward projects first. The game's not over 'till it's over.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
As an ex- 19' owner I survived without under bed drawers. All my clothes were topside. Underneath was for my outside chairs, chocks,grills, mats all through the exterior hatch cover. I stowed some emergency only items around the water heater (compressor and tire repair) in a box to protect the heater. I also installed a lip to prevent items from getting into the pump area.
I covered the floor with some carpet to eliminate the frame bolt protrusion. Things easily slide on the carpet. Access under the bed interior was for dirty clothes, shoes, computers any any souvenirs we may have purchased. These went into 4x $general bins and 2 collapsible auto trunk organizers.
Adding heavy wooden drawers and metal slides take up too much room and weight. IMHO.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
OSB? Mine is plywood. I'm happy that way -- really don't like OSB.
Are they using plywood for the seat and bed platforms now? I have no issue with OSB at all, but that is because we use tons of it for construction, and it is preferred over plywood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamstress View Post
Weight of the single drawer might also be a consideration. With four large bins, it could get pretty heavy.
We would not be loading ours up with much weight. Our dirty clothes, and a few other items get stored under the bed. They roll so easily too, that anyone could slide them.

There is about 5' from the under bed doors to the back of the trailer under the bed. Our longer items that we store from the outside can easily fit along the back two feet, thus my thought of a 36" drawer. I tried a test with my wife to see how far she could quite comfortable reach back to grab something, and she could reach 24" quite well, and would likely want to brace one had on the bed to reach back further. It still is easier than getting on the hands and knees to reach further underneath. For a reference, your pot drawers in the kitchen are close to 24" deep.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
An option that I've been considering for maximizing both the versatility of this storage capacity is to install two, 36" sliding platforms (no sides) using 1/4" plywood. Then, epoxy strips of heavy-duty Velcro (one side to the plywood, the other to plastic storage containers) to hold various sized storage boxes. Would give me the most options (including nothing at all) with a minimal increase in weight.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote