Best WiFi and Cell Equipment currently (9/2017) Available? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 2018
Best WiFi and Cell Equipment currently (9/2017) Available?

Hey. I like the sound of the wifiRanger: enhanced park wifi reception with mifi tethering, (cellular hotspot for web and phone access) thru the same antenna, (Is the mifi amplified?) But it sounds like maybe it doesn't work all that well and Escape wont install it. Any advice on this?
Thanks.
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
Hey. I like the sound of the wifiRanger: enhanced park wifi reception with mifi tethering, (cellular hotspot for web and phone access) thru the same antenna, (Is the mifi amplified?) But it sounds like maybe it doesn't work all that well and Escape wont install it. Any advice on this?
Thanks.
I had the WiFi Ranger Mini on my 17, and wasn't all that impressed, although I believe they have replaced it with a stronger system.

While it is a bit more work to make the initial set up, this system described at Outside Our Bubble works much better. The inside WiFi unit is 120V powered, but you can order this power supply to run it on 12V.

As to cellular, I've been using a Wilson Sleek for a number of years. It often makes the difference between barely connecting & a usable signal. I've read many reviews of whole trailer cell amplifiers (as opposed to the cradle type like the Sleek & some of the newer WeBoost versions that only amplify one device placed in the cradle), and the Maximum Signal systems are usually rated as the best. The RV model won't work well with our smaller trailers - it is difficult to get enough separation between the outside & inside antennas. They suggest the Maximum Amp Mobile. Not inexpensive, but it seems to cover a wider area of the trailer than the Wilson equivalents.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Thanks, I've seen your other posts on this subject and appreciate the update. So you're not a fan of the wifiRanger SkyPro pack?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks, I've seen your other posts on this subject and appreciate the update. So you're not a fan of the wifiRanger SkyPro pack?
I have (somewhere on a shelf) the original WiFi Ranger router. In it's day, it was a useful device since it one of the few that allowed a cell modem to directly plug into it. I did not (and still don't) like their software. I don't know about the SkyPro version, but my Mini took anywhere from 10 - 20 minutes to go through the process of locking on to a WiFi network, and you couldn't hurry it up manually. The Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M2 & Ubiquiti AirGateway combination only takes a minute or two to connect to a campground system (although you have to do it manually). It also finds far more WiFi transmitters (again, I'm comparing it to the Mini, not the SkyPro).
Old 08-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #5

Hey, so the system described at, "Outside our bubble" sounds interesting. Do I understand correctly that whenever you move to a new location you'll need to turn the wifi off in your laptop and then reconfigure?
Old 08-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Hey, so the system described at, "Outside our bubble" sounds interesting. Do I understand correctly that whenever you move to a new location you'll need to turn the wifi off in your laptop and then reconfigure?
We have the same setup. You do not have to do the whole configuration again. You just need to connect to your own wifi, login to the device and select a different wifi.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #7

Ok, so Lets say we go with the Max Amp Mobile and a Verizon Jetpack hotSpot. We should have 8 hookups at the jetpack with the best cell reception possible: we think the Max Amp Mobile has the best (widest) range within the trailer available?
Thank you.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #8

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
wifi

I just bought the Super USB WiFi Antenna 3 by C.Crane .I haven't tried it yet but hopefully this week . It's supposed to enhance the wifi ? It was on sale at camping world for $54.I hope it works maybe bounce off Xfinity ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
The WifiRanger seems nice, but has two major limitations:

1. The campground's internet probably sucks. You can get a phenomenal connection back to their access point and router, but it's still going to suck from there out.

2. It's a higher-gain omnidirectional antenna, but it's still omnidirectional. I think the Sky2 (the one that seems to be in the mini pack) is 5dBi. It has a strong transmitter, but that doesn't help if the park's transmitter is weak. The Ubiquiti's higher-gain 8.5dBi directional antenna will definitely help in this case.

Ubiquiti makes some great gear, but I wish they'd make an all-in-one 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz version of the Nanostation.

I hadn't seen the AirGateway before. I think it's exactly what I'm looking for to run the in-trailer part of the wifi (with either Ubiquiti or Mikrotik gear on the outside)

Looks like the C.Crane is a 4.5dBi gain antenna. That plus the ability to place it better will probably help some vs on-laptop wifi at least, if not as much as the WifiRanger or Ubiquiti gear.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Picked up our new 17B on 8/14, toured Revelstoke, Banff, Glacier and Yellowstone staying only in wifi-equipped parks for this break-in run.
1. the Ubiquiti Nonostation M2 (runs only on 2.4 but that's what parks almost exclusively have at present--no 5 gig) combined with their AirGateway router has been solid. As you (Defenstrator) said, biggest limiting factor was the park's own bandwidth. The Nanostation is very powerful. (Ubiquiti is a business standard with mission critical setups like hospitals; solid stuff but a bit geeky.) When I set up, I climb up on the rear driver side bumper, strap the nanostation onto the antenna with a velcro, aim it at the park's admin building (or nearest booster access point), attach the CAT 5 cable and logon to it. It will search for the best park wifi signal, I lock to that, then change the settings to the chosen access, and apply. Good to go.
Only one caveat: although it was working fine, when I got home I updated its firmware, and I nuked it (can't access it anymore even though I went through a reset process). So I bought another one arriving today. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
2. We bought a family AT&T unlimited cell package (for 3 devices) before leaving which worked well for us on the whole trip. When our cell signal was good I would stream news to an ipad and Airplay to our Vizio 21 TV (using a JBL sound bar mounted on the passenger side rear corner under the overhead cabinet for speaker)
3. Overall, it's looking to me that cell is the way to bring in the internet dependably at this time. Too many parks (and I'm including 'standards' like KOA), with their low bandwidth, include warnings that they'll throttle or ban residents who stream video.
4. Reace installed a Wilson trucker antenna for me (separate from the stub pipe antenna mount for the Ubiquiti nanostation) coupled to a WeBoost amplifier I self-installed inside the microwave cabinet. I am till now quite underwhelmed with any improvement from this unit and suspect that's due to the above-mentioned proximity of the external and internal antennae. I'm going to contact Wilson to see what the recommended distance between these two antennae is and will post what they say.
5. Several months ago I bought a Mobley hot spot (works with AT&T) but didn't start it on this trip. What I yearn for is a small RV router (like the Ubiquiti AirGateway) which could manage the rig's network but would allow users to choose between wifi or cell access points as signal/bandwidth varies. Gonna monkey with the Mobley next!
Best, Jonathan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
you can now update your avatar, drjp
Old 09-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
I'm still a Luddite when it comes to cell phone boosters. Can someone explain why some systems need a ground plane for the antenna, such Max Amp Mobile, and others [weBoost] do not?

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Simplest answer is that they all need one, but some already have one built-in and some don't bother because they expect to be installed on a car (which will provide the ground plain unless it's a fiberglass car)
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
I'm still a Luddite when it comes to cell phone boosters. Can someone explain why some systems need a ground plane for the antenna, such Max Amp Mobile, and others [weBoost] do not?
It depends on the design of the antenna. Almost all vertical antennas require a ground plane as do most patch antennas. There are many other designs that don't. For example, a Yagi, Log-periodic antenna, Dipole, corner reflector, etc do not require one.

The majority of antennas that come with cell phone boosters that have magnetic bases do require one, although at the frequencies used by the towers, a 4" - 6" diameter is plenty.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
All antennas for devices like cell phone boosters and other radios (yes, they are radios) are basically dipoles. That is, there are two wires (the cable has two conductors in it) going to the antenna, and the antenna has two sides, or elements. Each side is about 1/4 wavelength. At cell phone frequencies, 1/4 wavelength is not very long at all. If the antenna is horizontal, like the rabbit ear antennas, you can see the two sides. If the antenna is vertical, like the typical cell phone booster, or wifi booster, or CB or ham radio, then you still need the two sides. Often, one side is what you see and it points up. The other side is connected to the ground or to a ground plane, and that side basically makes the equivalent of the second pole of the dipole. In some designs, the antenna is longer than 1/4 wavelength, and the second pole is designed in to the vertical components. This antenna design can provide the full 1/2 wavelength needed but through some extra antenna elements that may or may not be obvious as you look at the antenna. You might see some short horizontal elements which provide the ground plane, in which case, no ground plane like a metal surface is needed, and the horizontal elements provide the "ground plane." It depends on how the antenna designer has implemented the required two elements or their equivalents.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #16

Jon, is this problem (ground plane) solved with your NG marine cell antenna?
Old 09-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Jon, is this problem (ground plane) solved with your NG marine cell antenna?
The base of the WirEng Boat Antenna forms a metal ground plane, so no additional one is needed.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #18

Hey Jon Have you seen this antenna: WirEng Uniant Lite? Sounds like it might solve the having two antennas too close issue,