Blind Replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Blind Replacement

We would like to replace the stock beige blinds in our 2017 21' with a color more to our liking. We don't mind the design and engineering of the stock blinds - just the color. Does anyone know where we can order replacement blinds in a different color. We have not bugged ETI about this.

Thanks,
Charlie & Kiko
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I just did a quick google search for "replacement rv blinds" and got tons of hits. Get out your measuring tape!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Google - what a concept

Thanks
Charlie
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanzan View Post
Google - what a concept

Thanks
Charlie
I know, it's quite an amazing concept. You start typing in words in the search box and it thinks it knows what you're gonna finish typing. Many times it's correct. (And the guy that came up with that feature recently died, I believe.) And it might spell better than the typist.

I think it's been around for a few years. Maybe a bit more than that.

Seriously, good luck with your color choice. Hopefully there's more out there than just the icky tans and browns I usually see.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
ETI tells me they get their blinds from United Shade. United Shades tell me they can/will supply different material for ETI's shade.
AnnHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaAnn View Post
ETI tells me they get their blinds from United Shade. United Shades tell me they can/will supply different material for ETI's shade.
Has anyone been able to customize their blinds this way? Meaning ETI installs the alternate colored blinds from UnitedShade?
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
They have an optional No Cord EZ-lift system, might be nice to not have the lower spool to bang your head into.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:34 AM   #8

Blind replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Has anyone been able to customize their blinds this way? Meaning ETI installs the alternate colored blinds from UnitedShade?
Mike, I asked several times, hoping that eventually I would get a different (positive) answer. I was always told that ETI will install ONLY those default blinds, no options. United Shade told me they have tried to convince ETI to offer options, but ETI cordially declines. I suppose it's another thing that ETI would have to keep track of, but I would have been happy to pay extra to have the material of my choice installed by ETI ... rather than pay even more to buy new blinds from another retailer and then simply toss the ones in the garbage that I got (and paid for) from ETI. Maybe there's a good reason for ETI's decision not to provide options. United Shade rep told me that the material ETI orders is called "day blind" shades and does not provide privacy at night, nor heat/cold retention, nor blackout, much less a coordinating color. I sure wish ETI would re-think this. As it stands, I get to pay twice for one set of blinds ... one from ETI and one from another retailer. ETI did say they would leave the blinds off, but would not give me a credit for that, so I still end up paying twice. Does anyone have any information about a way around this?
Old 05-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaAnn View Post
Mike, I asked several times, hoping that eventually I would get a different (positive) answer. I was always told that ETI will install ONLY those default blinds, no options. United Shade told me they have tried to convince ETI to offer options, but ETI cordially declines. I suppose it's another thing that ETI would have to keep track of, but I would have been happy to pay extra to have the material of my choice installed by ETI ... rather than pay even more to buy new blinds from another retailer and then simply toss the ones in the garbage that I got (and paid for) from ETI. Maybe there's a good reason for ETI's decision not to provide options. United Shade rep told me that the material ETI orders is called "day blind" shades and does not provide privacy at night, nor heat/cold retention, nor blackout, much less a coordinating color. I sure wish ETI would re-think this. As it stands, I get to pay twice for one set of blinds ... one from ETI and one from another retailer. ETI did say they would leave the blinds off, but would not give me a credit for that, so I still end up paying twice. Does anyone have any information about a way around this?
Thanks for the follow up Ann. I was hoping for a different answer, and I think I will also ask as part of my build sheet.

Did you end up getting your replacement shades from United Shade? I'm wonder if that would be the easiest "bolt on" replacement. I would think I would be able to use the same hardware ETI used even if I replaced them with the day/night version.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Blinds? I don't even see them. When I'm awake, they're in the up position. When I'm asleep, they're in the down position and so are my eye lids. Eventually they'll fail and then I'll look into replacing them with a night shade.... maybe.

I can see why ETI doesn't want to deal with choice. Who's choice and how many colors should they offer? Zero is a better choice for them. So far I've read where folks would like them to offer different wall coverings, types of wood in the cabinetry, now blinds. IF they did, I wouldn't be able to afford the trailer....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Blinds? I don't even see them. When I'm awake, they're in the up position. When I'm asleep, they're in the down position and so are my eye lids. Eventually they'll fail and then I'll look into replacing them with a night shade.... maybe.

I can see why ETI doesn't want to deal with choice. Who's choice and how many colors should they offer? Zero is a better choice for them. So far I've read where folks would like them to offer different wall coverings, types of wood in the cabinetry, now blinds. IF they did, I wouldn't be able to afford the trailer....
They don't need to offer multiple choices, they could simply say "we get our blinds from xxx, if you want a different color have them send us the color and we will install those blinds in your trailer." That is what I plan to ask. It would be less work for them to put up the exact same style blind as normal (but a different color supplied by the customer) than it would be to get a customer supplied sink that has a different footprint than stock, which they seem to be willing to do.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Hopefully there's more out there than just the icky tans and browns I usually see.
So, does it make you feel good to slam the choices of others? Wanting an option is fine, but to put down other's choices. Some folks just like warm tones.
Quote:

This is us most of the time too. The only exception is early morning, or possibly in the evening, and mostly when the sun is down and there is no view anyway. Besides, I think they blend in well to the decor. I would not want my blinds to jump out at me colour wise, to me that is what decorating with accessories is for.

Yes, where would Escape stop. Accommodate one customer, then how many more? They already backed themselves into a corner with some of the modifications they have allowed in the past.

I am curious here, how many other manufacturers allow you to spec your own window coverings, or even offer options with them?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #13

Blind replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Thanks for the follow up Ann. I was hoping for a different answer, and I think I will also ask as part of my build sheet.

Did you end up getting your replacement shades from United Shade? I'm wonder if that would be the easiest "bolt on" replacement. I would think I would be able to use the same hardware ETI used even if I replaced them with the day/night version.
I pick up my trailer next month so I'll figure the replacements then. I suspect it will be an easy "bolt on" like you say. Hoping so.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #14

Blind replacement

Since ETI offers customization of so many things in the trailer, not just accessories, but also non-accessories like upholstery, flooring, counter tops, even the sink and faucets, including the valances above the blinds, it just seems to make sense that they would offer options on the blinds themselves. It seems odd that that's the one item with color (even if it is tan) that ETI won't offer options on. Especially since United Blind will provide the blinds "made to order", at least that's what UB told me. I'm particularly concerned about security/privacy at night ... and would like blackout blinds when I'm in a well-lit campground. I don't even care that much about color, the tan would be ok, but I'd sure like a "night" shade rather than a "day" shade. Have seen other similar comments here and have talked with current owners who wished they could have had those options. Just thinking and asking whether other folks have found an option other than buying a whole new set of blinds. Just asking .....
Old 05-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21NE
https://www.stevesblindsandwallpaper...%20day%20night

I'd vote for these day/night shades...privacy by day, light blocking by night, or all open. Not cheap, but...
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:

All The Above, Donna!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Understandable ETI doesn't want to offer different colors just like they don't want to offer different vinyl flooring. From what was stated by someone with a pending order (TacomaAnn-"I was always told that ETI will install ONLY those default blinds, no options. ") the difference here is that apparently ETI won't even install different blinds from the same Vendor- even for a fee. At first glance this seems unreasonable, yet United Shade(Dicor) has different styles with possibly different installation requirements.

I remember wanting better cabinet hinges and thought it would be no big deal to send up better ones. The reply was that they would leave all the doors off if I wanted.

ETI built their brand around a few positive competitive advantages; among them:

1. Smaller/lighter trailers for smaller vehicles, which was very important ten years ago when gas prices were going up up up(and will again). This advantage is becoming somewhat diluted IMO as the trailers have all gotten heavier and more people are using full-size vehicles now than ever before, so this advantage is not as important as it used to be.

2. Competitive price for small production trailer that holds its value much better than the Lance/Forest River/etc. trailers.

3. Willing to customize the trailers to individual tastes, which was pretty open-ended in the beginning until they realized there had to be some limits. They do charge a fee- up to $200 for custom Formica for example, so the extra mile is probably cost neutral at least for them.

To me the #3 advantage above is their most important. The Mid-Size vehicle advantage is not what it used to be and price is not the most important consideration in a consumer's decision to buy(Consumer Behavior 101). My hope is that ETI stays true to what made them successful in the beginning and view customer requests as an opportunity and not an inconvenience.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I can definitely see the logistical nightmare of stocking multiple colors of shades. However, if ETI is allowing customers to send in custom fabrics, pick custom Formica, custom vinyl flooring where the install processes are no different on their end, I fail to see why this would be any different. Customer calls United, just like we currently call Pioneer for flooring, and United gives you the options for the ETI specified blind. You pay way more for it, they ship it, ETI charges an up charge to install the same blind in blue, and everyone all around is happy.
We definitely would have ordered custom night shade material just like we did for Formica, flooring, and fabric if it had been available.
The other one I’ve never figured out is the matching snap cap colors not being available . Tan snap caps don’t go with the dark color Formica’s and I immediately had to order $1.50 of black snap caps and swap them out the first night in Lynden. Just a small detail item that could be addressed. That shouldn’t add anything to the bottom line as they can be ordered in volume in three or four base colors just like the the t-mounding counter trim they offer in white, black or tan.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Every convenience for you is a potential inconvenience for customers that follow your build. Need to get your trailer out the door so they can build the next one.
It is illogical to say because ETI does one thing, they should do other things. If we were all so smart about building trailers, we would build our own.
Hey, there's a thought.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That's right Baglo- in no way should anyone ever infer that ETI isn't perfect, otherwise we just have these horrible images of you banging your head on the wall.