Block Foam for insulation for underneath trailer? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Block Foam for insulation for underneath trailer?

Hi all,
Just wondering...has anyone insulated the underneath of their Escape trailer with block foam insulation such as 2 inch thick R-Tech used in houses? I am looking at ordering a 17B for 2017 and thought I'd look for insulation options under the trailer other than the spray foam. That stuff is hard as heck to get off if you ever need to access anything under it. Thanks!
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've looked at mine with the same idea in mind. A good percentage of the underside (at least on the 19) is smooth and flat and it would be really easy to attach foam in those areas. That area is also conveniently under the area inside that you walk on. Haven't had to need for it yet but if I was considering using it in the winter or really cold weather I'd put it on in a flash.

I'd use foam adhesive but also run a couple of fore and aft metal metal straps as backup for the adhesive. I know, belt and braces, but that's just me.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #3

My thought was to use one inch wide Velcro strips glued to the fiberglass and foam. I do see on some of the RV blogs that temps will often get below freezing in Arizona, etc. So I thought the extra insulation would come in handy until it got below freezing for days on end. Hopefully by then I could move to a warmer environment or just drain the tanks.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
My thought was to use one inch wide Velcro strips glued to the fiberglass and foam. I do see on some of the RV blogs that temps will often get below freezing in Arizona, etc. So I thought the extra insulation would come in handy until it got below freezing for days on end. Hopefully by then I could move to a warmer environment or just drain the tanks.
Arizona is unusual in that the northern part may get over 100 inches of snow but the southern end may be very hot. RVers there in winter are at the southern end, or should be, and should not have much of a problem with freezing. Anyone who stays in a spot a long time with freezing temps will skirt the trailer. That can keep out cold air much better and probably easier than trying to cover the bottom.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
If adhesives securing a solar panel roof rail can break loose, any adhesive can fail. Why take a chance using it at the undercarriage, where it be subject to stressful pounding and wear due to vibration, road gravel, wet-accelerated road weather? Seems to me a common sense tipping point favors a cup of tea, and a nice rug.
Attached Thumbnails
rug1.jpg  
Old 11-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
How about using some interlocking polyurethane floor tiles inside the trailer with a carpet cut to fit for the wintertime? Then when summer rolls around you can pull it out and stow it.

Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set 4 Pc

This scheme gets used on boats sometimes by people who live aboard boats during the winter.

Regards.

Matt
Old 11-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
If adhesives securing a solar panel roof rail can break loose, any adhesive can fail. Why take a chance using it at the undercarriage, where it be subject to stressful pounding and wear due to vibration, road gravel, wet-accelerated road weather? Seems to me a common sense tipping point favors a cup of tea, and a nice rug.
The cross pieces of the frame lend themselves to attaching some metal bands running fore and aft. If the adhesive failed the metal straps, much like the water tank straps, would still hold the foam on.

Nice rug

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by memobug View Post
How about using some interlocking polyurethane floor tiles inside the trailer with a carpet cut to fit for the wintertime? Then when summer rolls around you can pull it out and stow it.

This scheme gets used on boats sometimes by people who live aboard boats during the winter.

Regards.

Matt
We carpeted with Flor tiles which are insulating. They did as much as the insulation underneath. As to the discussion about Velcro underneath...Velcro is extremely difficult to "glue" even with 3M's high strength adhesive. Just adhering strips to the window frames has been a challenge.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
3/8" of cork on the floor sure added to the warmth and comfort.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #10

My main concern is the water tank being exposed. I'd like to at least get that covered in block foam or something similar for cold weather. And the carpet, mats and cork floor ideas for keeping the floor warm/insulated are certainly worthy of consideration. Anything IN the trailer and on the floor would have to be durable and cleanable due to traveling with a dog. He hasn't quite caught on to wiping his paws before coming inside.

By the way, that's a nice rug.

Rick
Old 11-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
...Anything IN the trailer and on the floor would have to be durable and cleanable due to traveling with a dog. He hasn't quite caught on to wiping his paws before coming inside...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=9YWSI4LgC9Q

A little more training and your dog could also learn to wipe his feet when entering your Escape.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That's the beauty of a rug: easy to do, cheap, easy to clean or replace. Plus, you don't have to get under the trailer and work upside down on your back. I'd also put a cork on it.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Any surface finished with a good urethane will handle dogs. Our dog had zero effect on the finish of our cork in 3 years. We never removed our footwear coming inside, unless it was very dirty, instead opting to just do a 60 second sweep once a day, or as needed.

I am still undecided as to the actual benefits of the foam, for the cost. Unless I really wanted to do winter camping, I don't see great benefit in it. Lots of ways to keep the floors cozy, and I doubt I would ever save enough energy to pay for it.

We do lots of bump-outs and cantilevers on homes, and even though the floors are well sealed and insulated, they always feel colder than the rest of the house. This is due to the fact that there is nothing warming them up, like having a heated space below would do. The floor won't really absorb much heat from the air. This is why having a good insulation layer directly under your feet is the best for comfort, something like cork or a fabric mat would provide.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by memobug View Post

Regards.

Matt
This is actually what I'm doing here in Bozeman, Montana. I'm stationary for the winter up into the southern foothills. I'm doing a combo of Reflectix laid down on the floor / bottom of cabinets, and then cut-to-fit portions of the interlocking foam mats, which can be had pretty cheap from places like HFT (as Matt linked) and sometimes at Costco (bigger pack, a bit cheaper per sq. ft. for the same mats). Run some duct tape over the interlock areas, and then put down rugs over all of that.

Even with just with partial coverage with foam mats and rugs, it's comfortable to walk on barefoot with temps in the high 20s outside. We'll see how things go as I get deeper into winter...
philostechedon is offline   Reply With Quote