Bubble level - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Bubble level

thinking of adding a bubble level to my E21 visible from my truck mirror.

My E21 has the front window with the lid, so I'm thinking I can drill the lid and bolt this level to it using fender washers...

are there better levels for this application, and any reason not to bolt it to my lid, assuming I get it level first
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While a visible level would probably be more accurate, I've found that it doesn't take much practice before you can get it level looking at the belly band in the mirror. I can live with one hop out and check the Escape supplied level on the back of the trailer...
Old 08-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While a visible level would probably be more accurate, I've found that it doesn't take much practice before you can get it level looking at the belly band in the mirror. I can live with one hop out and check the Escape supplied level on the back of the trailer...
not so easy if my truck is also on a slope
Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Drilling into the front window lid? I like it--may do that.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 5ota
look at the level mate pro. I use it and am very happy. easy to use and no bubble levels
garyfaulkner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 19'
How about using VHB tape to avoid drilling.

Ken
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfaulkner00 View Post
look at the level mate pro. I use it and am very happy. easy to use and no bubble levels
this one uses a ball bearing rather than a bubble. and its over $100 cheaper. and no batteries

I tried using RV Level Remote, which uses two android devices, one in the trailer, and the other in the cab, and talks wirelessly, but my truck is so long, and so much steel, that the signal was sketchy.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee08802 View Post
How about using VHB tape to avoid drilling.
on this particular unit there's not much surface area on the back, just the metal tabs on each side.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Before drilling holes, I'd probably try command hooks to see if I like it and if it works as expected. Take it down obviously during travel.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
John, you may be able to drill one small hole for each side in the metal frame around the window cover. That would give you a more secure mounting.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I too have looked at that particular level with the same dea. I think I might attach the level to a piece of aluminum strap maybe an eighth of an inch thick with countersunk screws from the strap side and then use Tape to install it
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I too have looked at that particular level with the same dea. I think I might attach the level to a piece of aluminum strap maybe an eighth of an inch thick with countersunk screws from the strap side and then use Tape to install it
Also have looked at that level and great idea on your idea for install ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I use one with the ball bearing on my 19. I open the front window a crack, and then temporarily attach with a couple spring clamps. Works well for me.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
This thread makes me ask this question I've always wondered about our Escape, we bought our used and it had a level mounted to body at door and on the back of the trailer is this done at the factory? If so then I do not understand why the one on the back is not mounted on the front, is their a reason?

More curious then anything.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:52 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
This thread makes me ask this question I've always wondered about our Escape, we bought our used and it had a level mounted to body at door and on the back of the trailer is this done at the factory? If so then I do not understand why the one on the back is not mounted on the front, is their a reason?

More curious then anything.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
When we back into a spot my wife ground guides me from behind, using small FRS radios. Once we're in position the next thing she does is check the side to side level using the level on the back, so it's helpful to us. On the 5.0TA the level on the side is near the front jack controls so you can see it as you're adjusting those.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Read the reviews on the level. Several years ago I bought one in spite of some reviews that said the damping fluid leaks out. When I open the box, the inside of the box was wet from the damping fluid. Good thing it leaked before I mounted it. I returned it to Amazon.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
on this particular unit there's not much surface area on the back, just the metal tabs on each side.
A thin aluminum backing plate could be bolted to the level and the backing plate stuck to the trailer. I had looked at this level before and figured this would be a way to do this without drilling any holes in the trailer. It's a great level but a little big and sticks out from the trailer.

I ended up going with the Hopkins 08526 Never Fade Two Way Graduated Level just to see if it would work out. I have been satisfied with it and can see the level through the rear window of the truck fine. The second level that comes with it makes setting the trailer level front to back easier than the Escape supplied one.

The Level Master is 12" long and the Hopkins is 7" long - the Hopkins ia a smaller level but still very visible from a distance. The Hopkins, vs the Level Master, mounts with double sided tape easily and is more flush with the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
level.jpg  
Old 08-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I sort of like the stock ones mounted, the factory uses VHB tape. My better half tells me when the green bubble is within the lines. I then look at it and if it needs minor adjustment, I just move the level, works every time!
Old 08-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I sort of like the stock ones mounted, the factory uses VHB tape. My better half tells me when the green bubble is within the lines. I then look at it and if it needs minor adjustment, I just move the level, works every time!
Jim, you're a funny guy. I never thought of moving the level rather than leveling the trailer!
Old 08-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #20
Site Team

my 'better half' is terrible at directions, geometry, if I tried to let her guide me into a space, it would take hours while she tried to figure it out. I find it faster to do it myself, even though it involves dozens of hops out of the truck and back in.

re: opening the window flap and clamping it on temporarily, my front window is *really* hard to open, the seal is stiff. I really wish we didn't even have the front window, I'd rather have the shelf across the top of the bed.

btw, this, https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25563-A.../dp/B000EDUTOA and https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Masters.../dp/B000V55NB0 look nearly identical, except the cheaper Camco one has more marks. supposedly the marks on the Level Master represent 1" steps for a standard width RV (assuming thats 8' vs our 7' wide escapes).