Build Sheet Decisions for Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Build Sheet Decisions for Escape 19

Hi guys, We are submitting these questions to ETI, but would appreciate any insight you have also. We've only seen and been in an Escape for 15 minutes, so it is hard to visualize what options we should choose. We are really excited though and have read and reread the comments on this forum.
Questions:
1. How tall is the Escape with the AC and Jack antenna? Our garage door is just a little over 9'6".
2. Do reinforced walls add much weight? What is the cost? Which walls would you recommend reinforcing?
3. The Honda Pilot book says NOT to add the weight distribution hitch, so we should get the Equalizer Hitch with the sway bar right?
4. We don't really understand the inverter option. Our Casita had an inverter already. Do we need it to run the refrigerator while we are driving? We usually are hooked up to shore power when camped.
5. What battery option should we choose? Again we are rarely without electricity except for an occasional one or two days.
6. Where do most people install counter extensions? Is there a good place to put them by the bed to hold books, tissues, etc.?
7. What wattage is the available microwave? We considered a convection microwave, but that seems to be discouraged in the forum comments.
8. What is the advantage of the frameless windows?
9. Should we opt to get prewired for solar in case we find we need it later?
10. Is the closet long enough to have a shelf and drawer and still hang a shirt?
11. Does the u-shaped dinette give you more storage?
12. Does the bed lift up to access the storage underneath?
13. Do the warming pads run off of AC or batteries? Are they needed to keep the pipes and holding tanks from freezing if we find ourselves in a spot where the temps drop to freezing?
Thanks in advance for your help. This is so much fun!
Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
2. Do reinforced walls add much weight? Reinforced adds a 3/4 inch thick piece of plywood between the pretty wood. What is the cost? Which walls would you recommend reinforcing? Wherever you want to add something a bit heavy, like a television. We also did the wall next to the stove to hold up knife rack, etc.

4. We don't really understand the inverter option. Our Casita had an inverter already. Do we need it to run the refrigerator while we are driving? Most run the fridge on propane while underway. Using an inverter for AC power would probably deplete your battery fast.

5. What battery option should we choose? We went with a single big 12V.

9. Should we opt to get prewired for solar in case we find we need it later? Yes
We have a 21 so couldn't answer them all.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
5. What battery option should we choose? Again we are rarely without electricity except for an occasional one or two days.
You're not boondockers, so I'd just get the standard battery.

6. Where do most people install counter extensions? Is there a good place to put them by the bed to hold books, tissues, etc.?
We added one on the drivers side of the bed on the refrigerator wall and had them cut it down some. It is awesome for holding phones, glasses, drinks, etc. That is our foot of bed location and we also added a 12v/usb outlet right above for charging phones on the extension table and plugging in 12v tv.

9. Should we opt to get prewired for solar in case we find we need it later?
Definitely.

11. Does the u-shaped dinette give you more storage?
Probably a bit more with the bench across taking some of the utilities. I'd highly recommend the cabinet door on the end of the passenger side dinette bench.

12. Does the bed lift up to access the storage underneath?
It does, but very difficult with the full queen mattress to use that. We're outfitting ours with long drawers that slide out and then the outside access hatch for the space on the passenger side.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
We have a 21 so couldn't answer them all.
Jim I believe the plywood is 3/8 in not 3/4 , unless Escape changed . I would get frig wall , dinette wall and kitchen wall with plywood . It does not go down all the way , doesn't cost much and will give you lots of places to hang things as needed . I don't think it is very heavy . We did all those walls in our 19 . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #5

I forgot to ask about the high lift axel. What makes it necessary? Does it raise the sewer valve any?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Congrats on your new Escape. My input in bold.

Quote:
1. How tall is the Escape with the AC and Jack antenna? Our garage door is just a little over 9'6". The height of my 2015 may not be the same as your 2017. Ask Escape to be safe.
2. Do reinforced walls add much weight? What is the cost? Which walls would you recommend reinforcing? They do add weight, but not a lot. Reinforce walls where you anticipate hanging something heavy - like a TV mount. Otherwise, not needed.
3. The Honda Pilot book says NOT to add the weight distribution hitch, so we should get the Equalizer Hitch with the sway bar right? "Equalizer" is a brand name for several kinds of hitches - including a weight distribution hitch. The term is used interchangeably with Weight Distribution Hitch by a lot of people. The "Equalizer" on the Escape options list is a WDH, but it's not the Equalizer brand. If your manual doesn't recommend a WDH, don't get the option. You can tow with just a ball.
4. We don't really understand the inverter option. Our Casita had an inverter already. Do we need it to run the refrigerator while we are driving? We usually are hooked up to shore power when camped. I think you might be talking about a CONVERTER and not an inverter. Two different things. A converter is included in an Escape's electrical system just like it was included in your Casita. It converts AC power (when you're connected to shore power) to DC in order to run the 12v items in the trailer, like your light fixtures. An INVERTER on the other hand changes DC power to AC. It allows you to use standard AC outlets when you are not connected to shore power. If you want to be able to use AC outlets when boondocking, an inverter makes sense, otherwise, you don't need it.
5. What battery option should we choose? Again we are rarely without electricity except for an occasional one or two days. Standard Group 31 12v battery should work fine. You don't need the extra amp hours provided by another setup.
6. Where do most people install counter extensions? Is there a good place to put them by the bed to hold books, tissues, etc.? One fold down extension is included on the end of the kitchen counter by the entry. We added two skinny ones at the head and foot of the bed. Others have added them elsewhere. Up to you. Think of where they'd be the most handy.
7. What wattage is the available microwave? We considered a convection microwave, but that seems to be discouraged in the forum comments. A convection microwave is a convection oven with a heating element, that also has a microwave feature. As such, the exterior of the oven cabinet gets hot and needs to vent. It's not designed for an enclosed space like a microwave is.
8. What is the advantage of the frameless windows? Thats a new feature, and I can't speak to it. They do look nice.
9. Should we opt to get prewired for solar in case we find we need it later? Prewiring is smart if you intend to add it later, as it will save some work. Note however that the prewiring assumes a roof mounted panel.
10. Is the closet long enough to have a shelf and drawer and still hang a shirt? No, not really, unless they're changing the cabinet dimensions on the 2017 model. We decided we needed a pantry more than a closet, so we added shelves. Your choice.
11. Does the u-shaped dinette give you more storage? Since there's more bench, there's more under bench storage. It's not a compelling reason however to get the U-shaped dinette. Escapes have ample storage. Get the dinette layout you like best.
12. Does the bed lift up to access the storage underneath?Yes, but it's unweildy because you have to hold up a queen mattress to access it.
13. Do the warming pads run off of AC or batteries? Are they needed to keep the pipes and holding tanks from freezing if we find ourselves in a spot where the temps drop to freezing?We don't have the heat pads, so I can't speak to them. Finding yourself in a spot where the overnight trips drop to freezing isn't a problem. Just remember to disconnect the water hose if you're hooked up. For sustained cold weather camping, the spray foam insulation underneath the trailer helps.
Thanks in advance for your help. This is so much fun!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:51 PM   #7

This is so helpful. Thank you. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
I forgot to ask about the high lift axel. What makes it necessary? Does it raise the sewer valve any?
The high lift raises the ground clearance by a couple of inches. Might be useful if you intend to camp in remote areas with rutted or high centered roads where a little more clearance is beneficial. Otherwise, don't bother. Since it raises everything up a bit, that includes the sewer connection, and the entry step as well. It also raises the effective hitch height.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Not like a Casita; regular axle is fine unless an off-roader

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 04-06-2016, 12:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Standard Group 31 12v battery should work fine.
Unless it has changed, without a website update...
  • the standard battery is of the Group 27 size (Interstate SRM-27),
  • there is a single Group 29 option (Interstate SRM-29),
  • and there is a dual GC2 option (two Interstate GC2-XHD).
BCI battery size codes are not proportional to size, but Group 31 is larger than Group 29, and Group 29 is larger than Group 27.

Robert, do you mean that the standard battery - Group 27 - is typically sufficient?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
I would still get those 3 walls with ply . Go to a Home Depot and pick up a 4x 8 sheet of 3/8 ply and you will see it is not very heavy and considering those 3 walls do not even add up to a full sheet of 4x8 it is not something I would worry about . But it is there for what ever you need and strengthened those walls . Otherwise unless you hit the framing , walls are not very strong . I also want to caution Escape adds wiring along framing in many places . Your decision . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I also want to caution Escape adds wiring along framing in many places . Your decision . Pat
Good point.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Robert, do you mean that the standard battery - Group 27 - is typically sufficient?

Yes. For some reason I thought it was a group 31. Maybe I read a thread where someone had a group 31 and I thought that was stock. We have the dual 6v.

Thanks for the correction.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had the single group 29 battery with solar, I'd recommend getting solar and you will not have to worry about plugging in. The inverter option however will draw a lot of battery, if you do get it, then go with the dual 6 volts. Here is a link explaining 12 volts The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
The 12v pads also draw a lot from your batteries and can only be used while you are plugged in, but if you are plugged in, then you will have electric heat plus/or your furnace. I did not get the pads on my other Escapes.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #15

Trailer: 19 ft. Feb 21 2017
with the high lift axle option on the 19ft, is this new for the 2017 or did we just miss it as an option in previous years? somehow I had in my head that high lift was only for 17ft.....
flatlandreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #16
Commercial Member

I went with the larger 12V (grp 31) as Escape put that in the same battery box size that's used with dual 6V should I want to change to those later.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 04-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Good point; that's exactly what we ended up doing. $75 for the Group 29 upgrade makes it easy to add the dual 6'ers later.

BTW- I have a good Group 29 battery if anyone needs one cheap!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
On the trailer height issue, the specs show the 19 at 8' 6" and the 21 at 8" 7". Our 21 with the Jack antenna and the air conditioner measured out at 9' 3". If the new trailer heights stay the same, you will be fine. But if you get the higher axles, you might be right there. Storing your trailer inside is the best thing that you can do for it. Loren.
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote