Bunk Bed in 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonFan View Post
This is helpful, Jim! Good idea!
So, I compared the heights of the side windows of the 5.0TA to the 19. (see pics below along with the 21) The heights look very close to the same from the exterior. If Escape can put a bunk in the 19 and still have an accessible emergency window, then it seems a bunk would fit below the window in the 5.0TA as you suggest.

If anyone ventures into their 5.0TA or 19 anytime soon, please measure for me the vertical distance from top of dinette cushions to bottom of emergency window.

This represents the vertical distance that can be occupied by those sleeping on the dinette and by the DIY bunk.

Also, just curious here - which window is the emergency window? It seems the emergency window would be the REAR window so that when that tornado rolls your trailer on it's side, you can get out regardless of which side.
Back drivers side is the emergency window on the 5.0 TA Scott

Scott, Lori & a Schnauzer named Fritz
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
Back drivers side is the emergency window on the 5.0 TA Scott

Scott, Lori & a Schnauzer named Fritz
Yes, same as on the 21' because from door back is a 21'. It is a big awning that pushes out in the middle with an arm to hold it open.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We have the 19, just picked up, and the dinette slept our two kids (15&12) head to toe with no problems. We haven't even heard any whining about it in 9 nights of camping so far. Isn't the 5.0 Dinette even larger dimension than our 19?
In our previous 17B I built bunk beds out of PVC Pipe. This was so easy and can be built to any configuration. Took me 5 minutes to remove them when it was time to sell with no screw holes or damage to the woodwork.
PVC Pipe Bunk Bed | Scamp Owners International
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We have the 19, just picked up, and the dinette slept our two kids (15&12) head to toe with no problems. We haven't even heard any whining about it in 9 nights of camping so far. Isn't the 5.0 Dinette even larger dimension than our 19?
The body of the 5.0TA (and 21') is 10 cm (4") wider than the 19', so the dinette areas (which are in opposite end of the these trailers, but that shouldn't matter) will have the same difference in width (across the trailer), which becomes bed length. I don't know how they compare in the other direction.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sleeping arrangements

Quote:
In our previous 17B I built bunk beds out of PVC Pipe. This was so easy and can be built to any configuration. Took me 5 minutes to remove them when it was time to sell with no screw holes or damage to the woodwork.
Nine nights and no whining. You've go some great kids. I always found the harder you run them during the day, the less problems at bed time.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Nine nights and no whining. You've go some great kids. I always found the harder you run them during the day, the less problems at bed time.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Works for me too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #27

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
beds

Greg has great kids!!!!! We'll see them again in Feb.
Jack and Nancy
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #28

Thanks Jack! The Quartzsite kids are legend at the February gathering and folks have watched them grow up kinda like time lapse photography.....

Dave & Alf, I totally would agree with the running them idea, but my son just earned his Varsity letter as a Sophomore in HS on the fall Cross Country team. My daughter started 6th at her first cross country meet for her Jr High and finished the season moving up to 3rd on the team. Not going to tire them out running them, need another strategy!
Old 12-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Greg, put them to work washing and waxing Seventy Degrees. Every... single...time... you go camping
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Our grandkids love to camp with us. They sleep head to toe in the dinette and love it, plenty of room. This coming year they will be 11 and 12 and are thinking they might like to sleep in a tent, they haven't decided but I'm pretty sure that by next year that will be the scenario. So, I guess what I'm suggesting is use the dinette as is until they are old enough to be out in a tent.
Kathie

PS Merry Christmas!
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:39 PM   #31

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Quote:
Hi, I saw your post that you linked to, this looks interesting, what a great design. How did it work out longer term? I am assuming this is something you left up and didn't take down in the daytime? We are looking at an older 17B that doesn't have the bunks and we need them.
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:15 PM   #32

The PVC bunks worked out extremely well for two years, when we changed to our current 19. Our two kids were jr high age when we used this setup. It was a semi-permanent setup, not something you can take up and down.
When I prepared the trailer to sell, only took about 20 min to remove and you never knew it had been there. Amazing what you can build with PVC pipe and connectors.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:31 PM   #33

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Quote:
The PVC bunks worked out extremely well for two years, when we changed to our current 19. Our two kids were jr high age when we used this setup. It was a semi-permanent setup, not something you can take up and down.
When I prepared the trailer to sell, only took about 20 min to remove and you never knew it had been there. Amazing what you can build with PVC pipe and connectors.
Thanks for all that info! It is a cool design. Did you come across other types of designs along the way for bunks in the 17B?
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote