Cabinetry Work In My 5.0TA - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Good luck on your project! With your nice 5.0 TA, you'll have a place to stay during construction!
It might get a bit cold in the middle of winter.

We are going to live there while we completely remodel and do one or two additions. Crazy folk, we are.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It might get a bit cold in the middle of winter.

We are going to live there while we completely remodel and do one or two additions. Crazy folk, we are.
Hi: Jim Bennett... Can you remodel for an income property w/deduct ability... then move in down the road, and reverse the process? Just thinkin'. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... Can you remodel for an income property w/deduct ability... then move in down the road, and reverse the process? Just thinkin'. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I will remodel this place as my prime residence, then sell it when done. Living there as my primary residence, there are no taxes on profits, but the costs that go into it are not deductible like they are for revenue properties.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Not too much hunting Alf, when the house is right next door. It will be strange living next door to our old house.
LOL, you'll have to really screen your buyers since they will be your close neighbor. Oh yes, not only do you have to qualify for the mortgage, but you'll need to pass our interview and social screening.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
LOL, you'll have to really screen your buyers since they will be your close neighbor. Oh yes, not only do you have to qualify for the mortgage, but you'll need to pass our interview and social screening.

"So... you drink scotch?" Might be question one.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Here is a bit of a detail showing how I did the countertop and table edges. I did not want to mitre the corners, nor did I want a large radius. I settled on a 1 1/2" radius. I had to cut out the barb on the inside of the curve. This shot shows it cut first with a saw. What is not shown is that I used my die grinder to take it right down to nothing. This resulted in a nice smooth bend.

The tiles I used are a ceramic tile with a stainless steel wrap. To mount them to the outside wall I used a 1/2" wide tile edge rabetted into the back of a strip of 1/4" Baltic Birch, and screwed on with lots of screws terrible into the backer Escape epoxies to the shell. On the side gable, I used a 5/16" tile edge and added a strip of laminate to keep things flush. The tile was attached using PL Premium.

IMG]https://photos.smugmug.com/Projects/2017-Escape-50TA/i-53gvC4z/0/26f68921/XL/DSC00105-2-XL.jpg[/IMG]

A couple other wee mods was adding lighting in all the upper cabinets, as well as the door cabinet. I plan to do more lighting under the stairs, and inside outside hatches.

I also did a quick and easy shower floor for now, using tiles made up of synthetic decking material. I plan to do a teak on later, but first many other things to still do, as well as get more camping in.

Wow, these posts took a while. Time to have a nightcap and head to bed.
Exceptional work Jim ! Love you used up a lot of wasted space and I bet , Lisa loves her oven ! After this last camping trip may go ahead and upgrade to th Sam-1 fan upgrade now .
Interested in more on your solar install too ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #67

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Hi Jim , we won't be home for another week yet - but just saw your photos . ...wow it really is fabulous - so beautifully though out and built ! Wish I could have had a second look on the Sat ......Wolf left me with our visitors ....while he had another good look .........
Old 06-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Exceptional work Jim ! Love you used up a lot of wasted space and I bet , Lisa loves her oven ! After this last camping trip may go ahead and upgrade to th Sam-1 fan upgrade now .
Interested in more on your solar install too ? Pat
Thanks, Pat. Not too much wasted space left, at least that is easy to develop. And Lisa most certainly loves her oven, and I love her using it. I can't say enough about the SAM-1, it makes you more than willing to use the range hood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Hi Jim , we won't be home for another week yet - but just saw your photos . ...wow it really is fabulous - so beautifully though out and built ! Wish I could have had a second look on the Sat ......Wolf left me with our visitors ....while he had another good look .........
You certainly could have had a second look any time you wished. Once you get home, you could always take a trip to the other side of the tracks and see it (and us) again.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #69

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Ask, and you shall receive.

I had to go vertical with the HepVO valve, as the sink drain was too close the the drain pipe to fit horizontal.

Looks great! I am looking at doing the same on mine based on Donna's recommendation. Where did you buy the Hepvo?
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:45 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
Looks great! I am looking at doing the same on mine based on Donna's recommendation. Where did you buy the Hepvo?
I bought it off amazon.ca from a company in the Maritimes. Not cheap, around $50 CAD from what I remember. I can't seem to find the transaction, though I bought them well over a year ago. I still have one in the package to do the shower drain with.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Cabinetry Work In My 5.0TA

Awesome work, my friend!!!

Regards,

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Awesome work, my friend!!!

Regards,
Thanks, Fred.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #73

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thanks, Fred.
Jim what is going on with the solar ? Been waiting for your report on the flexible panels ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jim what is going on with the solar ? Been waiting for your report on the flexible panels ? Pat
I did up this thread on the installation. This reminds me that I should do a follow up now that I have put it to use a bunch.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ion-10273.html
Old 10-04-2017, 08:27 AM   #75

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
love your work

Jim,

Laura and I are shopping for a 5.0TA and are wondering if you'd sell your camper to us? Just kidding...hahaha. You have done some fantastic work and I am a big fan, especially of your cabinetry work! Very nice indeed!

Actually, we are considering ordering a new fiver and are looking at the options list and have scheduled an appointment to visit with another owner near us to see their camper.

My question is if you think it would be easy to order a new fiver with the sink and stove/cooktop deleted and install those pieces later? Ask I think about this it might be easiest if we ask for the counter top not to be installed and then complete the install of the top and appliances.

I consider myself a little handy and am not intimidated by doing a little work. I am not the craftsman you are, but I believe I could install those pieces. I wanted to ask your opinion.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
My question is if you think it would be easy to order a new fiver with the sink and stove/cooktop deleted and install those pieces later? Ask I think about this it might be easiest if we ask for the counter top not to be installed and then complete the install of the top and appliances.

I consider myself a little handy and am not intimidated by doing a little work. I am not the craftsman you are, but I believe I could install those pieces. I wanted to ask your opinion.
I would get the counter with stock sink and stove, then change them out as you find need and time. You will save little money, if any, as the parts needed are not very expensive. As well, anything out of routine costs Escape time, even making certain something doesn't get done.

As it was, I had to undo lots and lots of stuff.

Besides, not sure Escape would accommodate this request any more. They are tightening up on one of a kind requests, understandably.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #77

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
Thank you Jim, appreciate your advice.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #78

Trailer: 2018 17B
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say wow, your trailer looks incredible! I especially love the kitchen work.
Jon & Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon & Adrienne View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say wow, your trailer looks incredible! I especially love the kitchen work.
Thanks. A year later and we are really enjoying the modifications I made, and really would not change a thing. Will be doing more though.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #80

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 & 2014 RAM EcoDiesel
Jim,

We have a 21 on order and are finalizing the options. Just love your Oven and it is on a really good sale at the moment, but ETI won't substitute any oven. It is theirs or none. While I am OK installing things like an oven I am certainly not able to tackle cabinet work. The only difference between the caribbean and the Wedgewood ETI now install is the cutout height, the caribbean being 21 inches as opposed to the Wedgewood 16. I was thinking maybe I could just keep the bottom door cupboard that is standard and remove the top cupboard door and associated internal bits. What height is your bottom drawer. That will then enable us to finalize our plans.
canakiwi is offline   Reply With Quote