Captain light too harsh - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5TA
Captain light too harsh

We’ve captain lights over the bed in our 5ta. We don’t use them for reading (use ebooks) but would like to have some mood lights in the area on some evenings ( by ‘mood’ we mean something relaxing, NOT what you’re thinking!). As it is we find they have the charm of a streetlight. Very efficient, but the hue they create is industrial, not warm. Does anyone have ideas on how to change the colour to something which doesn’t scream ‘inner city’?
ian&denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Those bulbs can be easily replaced. Search 12volt LED spotlight M-16 base. Search for a "warm white" bulb. I did notice just now that there are companies that allow you to adjust the color in case the "mood" strikes you. Thanks for getting me thinking because those are harsh (cool white) lights and I need to switch out mine!
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 and a less than thrilled 2017 Tacoma dragging it around the countryside
I swapped some of the "daylight" ( about 5,700k) colored led lamps supplied by ETI for some in the 3000k range. A much warmer color. The off the shelf ones I found at my hardware store are 3 watts, about double the wattage of the stock lamps.
Attached Thumbnails
lights.jpg  

Is it too many people or not enough beach?
rjreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Same as OP, we thought the captain lights were too harsh. Rather than wade through online listings looking for a warmer replacement we opted to shop locally at a “Batteries Plus Bulbs” store. After looking at the factory installed bulb and learning what we wanted they fixed us right up. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We've just rotated them so they face the corner. As indirect lighting they work pretty well.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
We had the same issues with the lights being too bright. I even bought some lower wattage light bulbs to no avail.

Thanks to Tom (tdf-texas), here was my solution. I am extremely happy!

12V Reading Lamp RV Boat LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079L3BXX4...p_mob_ap_share

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I like the lights for reading. Other than that we have it on to get set in bed and don't have any trouble with it. Maybe if you were hanging out there, but if I wasn't reading I would likely just use the ceiling light, so maybe it could be a dimmer, warm white one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
The higher Kelvin (5700) makes these lights better for knitting or other detailed handwork than if they were 3000k. I use one at our dinette for this every time we take the Escape anywhere. Those by our bed, though, I agree are best when rotated to face the corner wall. Very nice effect, IMHO.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #9

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
We had the same issues with the lights being too bright. I even bought some lower wattage light bulbs to no avail.

Thanks to Tom (tdf-texas), here was my solution. I am extremely happy!

12V Reading Lamp RV Boat LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079L3BXX4...p_mob_ap_share

Fred M.

Tom (tdf-texas) has been a huge help to me and to others on the forum, as well. Shout out to you and Unie, Tom!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5TA
Thanks so much for the great (and easy) solutions!
ian&denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Fred, did these fit over the existing hole or did you have to buy a cover plate?
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #12

Captain light too harsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
Fred, did these fit over the existing hole or did you have to buy a cover plate?

They fit over the existing holes. I forgot to mention that these are warm lights as opposed to cool lights.

Sorry about the late reply.
Fred M.

...never had an Escape"
Old 12-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
They fit over the existing holes. I forgot to mention that these are warm lights as opposed to cool lights.

Sorry about the late reply.
Fred M.
So all I would have to do is swap the fixtures, I don’t have to worry about voltage differences?
Old 12-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All you need to do is switch the 12v bulbs, take out the cool white and install a warm white bulb. see here for some samples https://www.superbrightleds.com/sear...e,MR11,30,579:
Old 12-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Replacing the the bulbs with 35 or 50 watt (lower wattage dimmer light) equivalent 12 volt in the warm range (3000k or lower) is a much easier fix for the harsh light from the bulbs that come from ETI. These are easy to find at your local hardware store. Just take one of the ones in the camper with you. These are usually found in the area where they sell low voltage lights for the garden. Quick easy pull the old bulb out and snap the new one in. Easy peasy!
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Theatrical color media can be used to both soften harsh lighting that produces sharp shadows & color correction to change the high color temperature 6K lamps to a warmer 3200°K or warmer. Frosts, such as RoscoLux 111 are great for diffusing or softening light sources by spreading out the source, while there are hundreds of colors, some that are designed as color corrections that shift color temperatures.

While easier to add to the inside of standard LED fixtures, I have taped frosts over the front of my Captain's Lights which makes them more comfortable for reading. You can buy sheets of RoacoLux at serious photo supply & theatrical supply stores, or on line from Amazon, etc. If you go to a theatrical supply, you may be able to talk them into a free "Swatch" book, a 2"X3" book of camel colors.

Rosco's RoscoLux catalog.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #17

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Theatrical color media can be used to both soften harsh lighting that produces sharp shadows & color correction to change the high color temperature 6K lamps to a warmer 3200°K or warmer. Frosts, such as RoscoLux 111 are great for diffusing or softening light sources by spreading out the source, while there are hundreds of colors, some that are designed as color corrections that shift color temperatures.

While easier to add to the inside of standard LED fixtures, I have taped frosts over the front of my Captain's Lights which makes them more comfortable for reading. You can buy sheets of RoacoLux at serious photo supply & theatrical supply stores, or on line from Amazon, etc. If you go to a theatrical supply, you may be able to talk them into a free "Swatch" book, a 2"X3" book of camel colors.

Rosco's RoscoLux catalog.
Thanks, Jon! This seems like the easiest, least expensive, and most practical solution - until my new bulbs burn out.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:12 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
too brite?

Just an idea..we used pieces of white gaffer tape on some lites in our ole Casita to cut down on glare. I don't know if it wud work in this instance, and we have not even picked up our E21 yet to be able to tell..but we always carry a roll of white gaffer tape while camping anyways...It sticks great and leaves no sticky residue when pulled off.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:26 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All you need to do is switch the 12v bulbs, take out the cool white and install a warm white bulb. see here for some samples https://www.superbrightleds.com/sear...e,MR11,30,579:
those fit the nasty corner 'reading' lamps used circa 2014 ?

oh wow (he went out to the trailer and looked closer), yeah, they DO fit.

i think I'l get some of the warm white lower watt ones and see how they go. oh heck, ordered two of the 130 lumen and 2 of the 250 lumen
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
So all I would have to do is swap the fixtures, I don’t have to worry about voltage differences?

That’s correct. It was a simple swap.

Fred M.

...never had an Escape"