Cassette Toilet New Model - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #1

Trailer: None
Cassette Toilet New Model

Hey There,

I have a 17b scheduled for delivery in March 2018.

We are going to using the trailer on forest service roads frequently and do not want the low hanging plumbing that comes with a black tank.

I had a Cassette Toilet in my truck camper and think they are ideal for small campers that will be used for a lot of boon docking.

I spoke with Reece about it and told me that with the new mold and the smooth outside wall that is now possible. He also told me that they are ramping up the new production facility and do not have time to do any custom work.

My current order has the toilet and blackwater tank deleated and I am talking with Adventure RV Center in Chilliwack about installing the cassette after completion but before pick up.

Has anyone else done this? I am very curious how the curve in the interior wall should be handled and how the fiberglass should be finished out.

Please share any experience, ideas, or opinions.

Thanks,
David
davidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Hey There,

I have a 17b scheduled for delivery in March 2018.

We are going to using the trailer on forest service roads frequently and do not want the low hanging plumbing that comes with a black tank.

I had a Cassette Toilet in my truck camper and think they are ideal for small campers that will be used for a lot of boon docking.

I spoke with Reece about it and told me that with the new mold and the smooth outside wall that is now possible. He also told me that they are ramping up the new production facility and do not have time to do any custom work.

My current order has the toilet and blackwater tank deleated and I am talking with Adventure RV Center in Chilliwack about installing the cassette after completion but before pick up.

Has anyone else done this? I am very curious how the curve in the interior wall should be handled and how the fiberglass should be finished out.

Please share any experience, ideas, or opinions.

Thanks,
David
Haven't heard of anyone attempting it. With flat sides on the newer trailers, a hatch for the casette would be possible, but I'm thinking your biggest challenge is finding a cassette toilet that fits the bathroom size. In any case, it would be a "side loader". The ones I've seen might be too wide for a 17B.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I drive BC forest service roads all the time. My plumbing is hanging in there. I have high-lift axle.
Normally, there are no washrooms or dumps at the end of FS roads. I wouldn't want to drive out to empty a 5 gal. cassette after a few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:45 PM   #4

Here's another picture of the plumbing side.
Attached Thumbnails
Box : no WDH.jpg  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 PM   #5

Trailer: None
@ rbryan4 The specs on the ETI website say the bathroom is 25 inches and the specs on Thedfords website say the C220 is 22 7/8 so theoretically it should work. Reece and Adventure RV are going to speak later in the week to discuss how to make it work and I will update the tread.

@gbaglo It is good to her that you have not had challenges with the plumbing hanging low. It will need to be an option if we can not find a way to make the cassette work.

Any other experience towing your trailer on dirt roads you think I should know about? Anything you would have changed in your build?
davidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:12 AM   #6

I use bungee cords to keep cupboard doors and the fridge from opening on washboard. I try to find the sweet speed on washboard ( I don't slow down normally, except for corners ).
Heavy stuff in lower cupboards, light stuff up top.
Basically, if my RAV4 can do it, the trailer will follow.
My trailer is now a senior citizen. Starting anew, it would be a 19' and would be equipped with solar, EMS and maybe air conditioning. It would have an exterior 12V outlet under the awning. It would have the standard upholstery, Formica and flooring, just like the one I have.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Has anyone else done this?
Although cassette toilets have been discussed, I don't recall any mention in this forum (or FiberglassRV) of anyone actually installing on in an Escape... and it's likely that I would have noticed.

The vertical wall style of body has only been in production for about 2-1/2 years, and this sort of installation would be much more work in the original body style, so there have not been a lot of people who really want a cassette toilet and have a suitable Escape to put it in.

Quote:
I am very curious how the curve in the interior wall should be handled...
The curve at the bottom of the exterior trailer body shouldn't start until just below the floor level; isn't it vertical right to the floor?

The bathroom interior lining curves at the bottom, but that curve is a minor issue compared to the step up in the floor which exists cover the black tank. My guess is that you'll still have the standard moulded bathroom, so you'll have that step with nothing under it... and it will need to be cut out unless you want a bizarrely high toilet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Normally, there are no washrooms or dumps at the end of FS roads. I wouldn't want to drive out to empty a 5 gal. cassette after a few days.
Great point, but perhaps a spare holding tank (cassette) can effectively double capacity if there's a place to carry it (such as a pickup truck box, or even a rear bumper rack).
Old 12-07-2017, 01:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Great point, but perhaps a spare holding tank (cassette) can effectively double capacity if there's a place to carry it (such as a pickup truck box, or even a rear bumper rack).
Oh Joy.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
While I agree that a cassette is nice, especially it's ability to be used in the winter but the comment about the black tank and low hanging plumbing tells me that the op has not seen an Escape 17. The black tank is inside and there is no low hanging additional plumbing because there is still the grey tank and it's discharge. Unless that is eliminated there is no concern for off roading.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
David

I think i would stick with the original black tank and toilet. I dont have a escape yet but I have towed a casita in places most people would not even taking there truck. the casita plumbing hangs lower than escape. you might go for the high axle. Try it if it does not work out you could add the cassette latter. if you worried about winter use you can use the bags
https://www.mtsmedicalsupply.com/wag...e-kit/647/WAG/

No body want to carry around bags of poop but it be the same as emptying the cassett or maybe better.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #12

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
cassette toilets

We have had the cassette toilet in our Lil Snoozy and it works for maybe 2 nights its only 4 -5 gallons depending on which model . If one stay for a weekend its doable for 2 but any longer and you need the extra tank . I remember getting scolded for dumping the cassette in a toilet at a State park . They said I had to use the dump station ? I like the 22 gallons in our escape 21 much better . jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I see no advantage of a cassette toilet over standard black water plumbing. What am I missing? If boondocking and discharge is a concern, get a tote. Either way you would be dumping, the big difference is one you'll always have a small(ish) tank and the other has the capacity for more extended camping plus the trailer is fitted for standard discharge at RV sites.

I made a tote years ago. When a dump station has a line, I can dump the tanks at home. I can use the tote for either gray or black water... try that with a cassette.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #14

My T@Da had a cassette with it's own source of liquid. In the winter I'd use automotive antifreeze and in the summer water. Thus it was available when the trailer was winterized. You can accomplish the same with an Escape using the e-z- winterization valve and a gallon of rv antifreeze, just costs a little more.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My T@Da had a cassette with it's own source of liquid. In the winter I'd use automotive antifreeze and in the summer water. Thus it was available when the trailer was winterized. You can accomplish the same with an Escape using the e-z- winterization valve and a gallon of rv antifreeze, just costs a little more.

I don't understand the Automotive antifreeze. How do you handle the disposal ?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Oh Joy.

The cassette/tank isn't what you want to handle much or put in your vehicle's interior, but it's not all that different from a sewer hose (except that it has a valve which closes it automatically).
Old 12-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #17

Quote:
My T@Da had a cassette with it's own source of liquid. In the winter I'd use automotive antifreeze and in the summer water.
I assume that you mean windshield washer fluid (which usually uses alcohol as the antifreeze), not engine coolant antifreeze (which is usually ethylene glycol and is unsuitable for this use).
Old 12-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #18

Yes, the .99/gal windshield stuff.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Yes, the .99/gal windshield stuff.
that makes more sense. i haven't even thought of that
Old 12-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I agree with the general consensus and think I would stick to the factory black water tank and toilet if for no other reason than re-sale value. Not everyone would like a cassette toilet over the standard black water tank.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote