Cassette Toilet New Model - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I agree with the general consensus and think I would stick to the factory black water tank and toilet if for no other reason than re-sale value. Not everyone would like a cassette toilet over the standard black water tank.
agreed.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I agree with the general consensus and think I would stick to the factory black water tank and toilet if for no other reason than re-sale value. Not everyone would like a cassette toilet over the standard black water tank.
Well, I sort of agree with you, kind of. I've used one driving all over New Zealand and loved it. But I think that it depends on the location you're using it. NZ is an extremely camper friendly country. There's always a place to dump it and it's so quick and simple. But for boon docking it's maybe not the way to go.

I've done a bit of off road in places like Baja. Hitting the plumbing was never a concern.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I see no advantage of a cassette toilet over standard black water plumbing. What am I missing? If boondocking and discharge is a concern, get a tote. Either way you would be dumping, the big difference is one you'll always have a small(ish) tank and the other has the capacity for more extended camping plus the trailer is fitted for standard discharge at RV sites.

I made a tote years ago. When a dump station has a line, I can dump the tanks at home. I can use the tote for either gray or black water... try that with a cassette.
My impression is that somehow people have a somewhat wrong idea of using a dump station and think it is a big deal, usually having not used one. I did see one person who went back to a cassette or similar but I think that was for boondocking only. I still can't quite figure out why people would want to carry around their toilet!. But then I am older and that just would not work for me. Perhaps some younger people may find the cassettes more appealing. I also think that people are used to doing what they are used to doing.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
When I was in my 20's we did a lot of boondocking. Back then our tolet was not much more than a glorified bucket. We would just dig a deep hole 30 or 40 feet from the campsite and empty it there. Don't see why you could not do that with a cassette toilet. As long as it's properly covered that is. Bears do it why not people?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Bears do it why not people?
Probably because we tend to congregate next to streams and lakes and are too lazy to go too far away from our beds.
For proof, all you have to do is look at the litter at Forest Service campsites.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:12 AM   #26

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Hey There,

I have a 17b scheduled for delivery in March 2018.

We are going to using the trailer on forest service roads frequently and do not want the low hanging plumbing that comes with a black tank.

I had a Cassette Toilet in my truck camper and think they are ideal for small campers that will be used for a lot of boon docking.
….

Thanks,
David
David:

Have you looked at the discussions about composting toilets? I have had one for a few seasons now, and there are at least two others putting them in their Escapes.

I also boondock with my 5.0 Classic, and usually in isolated, hard to get to, BC forestry sites. I've never had a concern or problem with plumbing clearance, even though I still have the stock, unused, black plumbing. Furthermore, with the composting toilet, 2 adults are good for about 30 days without emptying solids… and zero water use.

Yes, I could dig a latrine, but then I could forgo the trailer all together and just sleep on the ground. I've done both, and now I choose comfort and convenience. Wandering 40 feet into wet, bug infested bush, at 3am, and squatting beside a bear, isn't my idea of either.

I don't like dump sites, and I'm certainly not excited about saving, dumping, and hauling sewage to dump it a second time. But, personal dislikes notwithstanding, the composting toilet is ideal for extended stays in isolated sites; saves on water and effort.

Cheers,
John

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
The composting toilet is an idea to look into.

Im more interested in working a cassette toilet into a 17 A, since its use is meant to be 99% middle of the night wee calls.
Ill likely not get the wife on board, but the size and cost and weight of a 17A is more in line with what I want in a trailer, and a cassette toilet that slides out of a bench might be enough to make the wife happy.
Having only owned pop ups and tent camped, ive never used a dump site, and on my long long long list of things I hate, waiting in line for anything is near the top.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
and a cassette toilet that slides out of a bench
I don't understand what you're referring to. Are you talking about a porta potty or a true cassette toilet. The only cassette toilets that I've seen don't slide anywhere but the cassette is removable, usually on the exterior.

Ron
Old 01-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I don't understand what you're referring to. Are you talking about a porta potty or a true cassette toilet. The only cassette toilets that I've seen don't slide anywhere but the cassette is removable, usually on the exterior.

Ron
Ron maybe the port a potty that you remove the tank , and go dump that. We had one once in our tent trailer . Have seen campers , you open a door ,with cassette toilets and take care of business l Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Hey There,

I have a 17b scheduled for delivery in March 2018.

We are going to using the trailer on forest service roads frequently and do not want the low hanging plumbing that comes with a black tank.

I had a Cassette Toilet in my truck camper and think they are ideal for small campers that will be used for a lot of boon docking.

I spoke with Reece about it and told me that with the new mold and the smooth outside wall that is now possible. He also told me that they are ramping up the new production facility and do not have time to do any custom work.

My current order has the toilet and blackwater tank deleated and I am talking with Adventure RV Center in Chilliwack about installing the cassette after completion but before pick up.

Has anyone else done this? I am very curious how the curve in the interior wall should be handled and how the fiberglass should be finished out.

Please share any experience, ideas, or opinions.

Thanks,
David
Do you have any updates on the cassette toilet. I too would be interested in this option
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE3 View Post
David:

Have you looked at the discussions about composting toilets? I have had one for a few seasons now, and there are at least two others putting them in their Escapes.

I also boondock with my 5.0 Classic, and usually in isolated, hard to get to, BC forestry sites. I've never had a concern or problem with plumbing clearance, even though I still have the stock, unused, black plumbing. Furthermore, with the composting toilet, 2 adults are good for about 30 days without emptying solids… and zero water use.

Yes, I could dig a latrine, but then I could forgo the trailer all together and just sleep on the ground. I've done both, and now I choose comfort and convenience. Wandering 40 feet into wet, bug infested bush, at 3am, and squatting beside a bear, isn't my idea of either.

I don't like dump sites, and I'm certainly not excited about saving, dumping, and hauling sewage to dump it a second time. But, personal dislikes notwithstanding, the composting toilet is ideal for extended stays in isolated sites; saves on water and effort.

Cheers,
John

The composting toilet does sound very interesting. Do you have this installed in your 5.0? Did the 5.0 come with the ledge which the toilet sits on top of (with black tank underneath). If so did you install the toilet on top of that ledge, which would end up with your toilet very high.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
The composting toilet does sound very interesting. Do you have this installed in your 5.0? Did the 5.0 come with the ledge which the toilet sits on top of (with black tank underneath). If so did you install the toilet on top of that ledge, which would end up with your toilet very high.
Hi Sean,

Yes, it's installed in my 5.0 Classic, on top of the black tank ledge, and is about 8" too high. I have a small stool that I can kick over when I sit, and it tucks out of the way when not in use; no bending over necessary. It's not been a problem for short or tall users.

Using the toilet is slightly more involved than the flush unit, but the advantages with respect to chemical use, odour, water usage, and waste disposal, far outweigh this. I still get a feeling joy every time I drive on by a blackwater dump station.Click image for larger version

Name:	picture1848307870.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	29826Click image for larger version

Name:	picture49185667.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	29827

Old 02-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #33

Thanks for the info and the pics. It is an intriguing option, one that I need to consider.
Did you vent through existing black tank vent?
Old 02-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Thanks for the info and the pics. It is an intriguing option, one that I need to consider.
Did you vent through existing black tank vent?
Yes, I used the existing vent. On the 5.0, it was a bit tricky to connect, but less impact on appearance. Probably different, and perhaps more straightforward on yours. Would have been much easier just to vent directly through the side, and really, it's just one more hole.

When I first introduced the idea of a composting toilet to my wife, she didn't want to consider it. After showing her many testimonials and videos, she cautiously said "OK". After the first camping trip, I couldn't get her to stop talking about it; she loved it. Made for some interesting dinner-party conversations.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:09 PM   #35

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21NE
We are also VERY interested in putting a cassette toilet in an Escape. Does anyone have an update on if this ended up working out?
MrsWeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #36

We've used a cassette toilet in a camper in New Zealand and liked it. If I was still in N.Z. I'd have one. That's because they're setup for them. There are dumps for them everywhere.

The way we travel in North America they wouldn't be so good. Their capacity isn't high and acceptable places to dump are few and far between.

Depends on your anticipated traveling style whether it'd work for you.

Ron
Old 11-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This thread has morphed into both cassette toilets and composting toilets, 2 different animals. A cassette toilet has an exterior removable tank for emptying purposes, inside it looks like a regular toilet. The cassette can also have it's own water supply, separate from the trailers water. We had a cassette in a 2009 T@da and loved it. I could fill the supply with low cost windshield antifreeze and dump the contents at the cg dump. It allowed use during cold winter months.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #38

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A cassette toilet has an exterior removable tank for emptying purposes, inside it looks like a regular toilet. The cassette can also have it's own water supply, separate from the trailers water. We had a cassette in a 2009 T@da and loved it. I could fill the supply with low cost windshield antifreeze and dump the contents at the cg dump. It allowed use during cold winter months.
I can see some advantages of a cassette but one has to be honest with themselves about how they will camp and the limitations of a 5 gallon waste tank. Not bad for a long weekend but longer term boondocking especially with kids/grandkids could be an issue. The 9 gallon tank in my fathers old Scamp 16 was too small and sometimes I wish the 14 gallon tank in the 19 was bigger. Nice that ETI changed in later years to a 19 gallon black tank in the 19's.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree that the smaller cassette has it's limitations and is perfect for a couple, anything more would require a larger capacity.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #40

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I can see some advantages of a cassette but one has to be honest with themselves about how they will camp and the limitations of a 5 gallon waste tank. Not bad for a long weekend but longer term boondocking especially with kids/grandkids could be an issue. The 9 gallon tank in my fathers old Scamp 16 was too small and sometimes I wish the 14 gallon tank in the 19 was bigger. Nice that ETI changed in later years to a 19 gallon black tank in the 19's.
The advantage of a cassette toilet is that it can be emptied without moving the trailer. So a once daily trip to the campground bathroom means you can stay indefinitely.

For true boondocking where there are no facilities, you can always use a portable black tank to extend your stay.

TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote