Casting to Television - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Casting to Television

I have a Samsung TV (not smart) With one HDMI input. We started out life with a Amazon Firestick plugged in and used my unlimited data Motorola Droid as a hot spot. My plan changed and I still have unlimited data but not on the hotspot. I bought a Belkin Miracast unit and could get HBO, DirecTV, and Netflix directly from the phone cast to the TV. Worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got a new phone and it doesn't support casting to the Belkin. Info on the net suggests that a Chromecast will work, but needs a network to work. Some suggest a portable router without an actual internet connection in combination with a Chromecast and using the hotspot function on the phone.

Any techies out their have suggestions? I hate to buy more stuff, maybe a Chromecast and some kind of small router. I would like it to work on 12 volt.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Howdy Carl,

I'm not familiar with the Belkin but we do use a Chromecast.

You can cast an android phone screen to any TV with a Chromecast attached to it. The Chromecast attaches to the TV HDMI port. For casting, the Chromecast doesn't actually need to connect to an external network, but the phone and the Chromecast need to be on the same network. But, you could simply use the hostpot function of your phone, and connect the Chromecast to it. The method you described above would probably work, but we do it without a router.

We have watched many an evening of DirecTV using this method, no dish.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Howdy Carl,

I'm not familiar with the Belkin but we do use a Chromecast.

You can cast an android phone screen to any TV with a Chromecast attached to it. The Chromecast attaches to the TV HDMI port. For casting, the Chromecast doesn't actually need to connect to an external network, but the phone and the Chromecast need to be on the same network. But, you could simply use the hostpot function of your phone, and connect the Chromecast to it. The method you described above would probably work, but we do it without a router.

We have watched many an evening of DirecTV using this method, no dish.
The catch is that Verizon puts a 10 gig limit on hotspot but the regular data is unlimited.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape
Microsoft Display Adapter works on android. Attached to HDMI and to tv usb port for power. No Wi-Fi network needed. It gives a mirror cast of the phone screen.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
tv in escape

We have the Jack antenna gets about 10-20 channels when we are near a major city .I signed up for Amazon prime. How does one get this on our Escape trailer We do have a (Iphone and andriod phone and tablet from Sprint ) that can be used as a hot Spot 10 gigs each ? What should I buy and will it work ? thanks in advance for help Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You need a "smart tv" or one with a USB input. The Prime will bluetooth connect with your phone for Amazon streaming services, like Netflix. You will need a large data plan, more than 10 gigs for a movie.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We have the Jack antenna gets about 10-20 channels when we are near a major city .I signed up for Amazon prime. How does one get this on our Escape trailer We do have a (Iphone and andriod phone and tablet from Sprint ) that can be used as a hot Spot 10 gigs each ? What should I buy and will it work ? thanks in advance for help Jim
The catch of course is you need a fairly good data signal from Sprint. Good luck with that in remote areas.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The catch is that Verizon puts a 10 gig limit on hotspot but the regular data is unlimited.
Verizon is always trying to push me to their "unlimited" data plan. I haven't budged. My understanding is that (cell phone as a hotspot) I can get, under their unlimited plan, 10 gigs @ 4G and after that it slows to 3G. When there are too many cruise ships in town (any number above 0 is too many) our overloaded cell networks drop my phones data speed to 3G and videos have to burp and buffer.

I have learned to be very careful when cell companies want to do you a favor.

Tom