Changing foam density - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 17B / 2010 GMC Sierra
Changing foam density

HI There,

We were wondering if anyone changed the foam density from 4" to 6" on their bench at the 2 person dinette/single bed in the 17B? Also, how comfortable is the 4" foam once made into a bed? Would you recommend to have extra bedding or mattress of any kind on top of it for more comfort? Any names or recommendations of companies out there who custom make higher density foam? ETI does not offer that option for the single bed.

Thank you,

Scott
lilkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm aware of several owners who had Escape make the cushion 2" thicker in the front of the 19' in order to raise the seat level to front window height, others had the floor raised 2". So it was done in the past, not sure if it is still an option.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkuma View Post
Also, how comfortable is the 4" foam once made into a bed? Would you recommend to have extra bedding or mattress of any kind on top of it for more comfort?
Not very...unless the sleepers are children as they can sleep on anything. I have 2 x 3" memory foam on top the stock foam and find it comfortable.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
It is not so much the foam depth as the join line of the cushions that makes it uncomfortable. Most folks put a 2" topper on just to make it one piece and smooth out the holes/dips between the cushions.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You're talking thickness as opposed to density. They do however make different densities of foam if it's the firmness you want to change.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #6

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
It is not so much the foam depth as the join line of the cushions that makes it uncomfortable. Most folks put a 2" topper on just to make it one piece and smooth out the holes/dips between the cushions.

I'm a bit over 6 foot 1 inch so maybe that's why but do not have an issue with the cushion edges. I occasionally sleep there so I do not need to crawl over my wife. I put a piece of 2 inch memory foam on and had to remove it because my wrist and hands kept having a pins and needles sensation. Which is odd because we have the exact same type of memory foam on the mattress and it does not bother me at all.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkuma View Post
HI There,

We were wondering if anyone changed the foam density from 4" to 6" on their bench at the 2 person dinette/single bed in the 17B? Also, how comfortable is the 4" foam once made into a bed? Would you recommend to have extra bedding or mattress of any kind on top of it for more comfort? Any names or recommendations of companies out there who custom make higher density foam? ETI does not offer that option for the single bed.

Thank you,

Scott
The problem is a density that is heavy enough to be comfortable to sit on is too dense for sleeping when the entire body is supported, rather than just the "butt".

If they used a lower density that was comfortable for sleeping, your butt would sink too deep when sitting. That is why many add toppers for sleeping.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The problem is a density that is heavy enough to be comfortable to sit on is too dense for sleeping when the entire body is supported, rather than just the "butt".

If they used a lower density that was comfortable for sleeping, your butt would sink too deep when sitting. That is why many add toppers for sleeping.
My butt sinks through the 4" stock dinette cushion, tried a heavy density, it was like wood, just plain uncomfortable. Been considering using 2" medium density with 2" heavy density under it.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21...our EscapePod; 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
I end up sleeping on the dinette while my wife enjoys the bed. We are using a ViscoSoft 3.5lb density 3 inch gel memory topper....it is heavy but am getting a great sleep and roll it up in the morning and put it in the truck. We did change our table to a pedestal, so it is easier to change into a bed on a daily basis.
camperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I used a Costco gel foam topper for sleeping it was very comfortable
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:01 AM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
My butt sinks through the 4" stock dinette cushion, tried a heavy density, it was like wood, just plain uncomfortable. Been considering using 2" medium density with 2" heavy density under it.
Yesterday I just changed the density of the foam in our u-shaped dinette. The foam that came with the trailer was just too soft for sitting there reading for too long. I'll soon find out if it was worth the money to switch. I sure hope so as it wasn't cheap to change it out to a dense 7-year foam. I don't sleep on the dinette, but Dirk has and since he can sleep on anything and prefers a firm mattress, I think he'll be just fine on it the next time he goes on a trip with me.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:03 AM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I'm a bit over 6 foot 1 inch so maybe that's why but do not have an issue with the cushion edges. I occasionally sleep there so I do not need to crawl over my wife. I put a piece of 2 inch memory foam on and had to remove it because my wrist and hands kept having a pins and needles sensation. Which is odd because we have the exact same type of memory foam on the mattress and it does not bother me at all.
Different pillow than at home so your body is at a different angle? Heck if I know, as I'm not a mattress expert, nor do I play one on TV.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 17B / 2010 GMC Sierra
Thank you for all the info regarding foam options etc. Scott
lilkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperwa View Post
I end up sleeping on the dinette while my wife enjoys the bed. We are using a ViscoSoft 3.5lb density 3 inch gel memory topper....it is heavy but am getting a great sleep and roll it up in the morning and put it in the truck. We did change our table to a pedestal, so it is easier to change into a bed on a daily basis.
How much space does the topper take when it is rolled up?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
How much space does the topper take when it is rolled up?
Dave, you've changed!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Dave, you've changed!
Yea, after spending about 5 years on this forum, I realized that most of the members here are somewhat reputable, and I thought it was about time to reveal my true identity.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Yea, after spending about 5 years on this forum, I realized that most of the members here are somewhat reputable, and I thought it was about time to reveal my true identity.
Yeah, I've never understood all the secrecy and whatnot on forums (except for anonymity when posting something vulgar or repulsive and that says more about the poster than anything). I've done genealogical research and have worked on tracking down high school classmates for years. With perseverance and just plain "bull-headedness" I have been able to find just about everybody and learn everything about them that's available in public records such as property records and legal issues. Yes, even on some who wish to keep their identity private.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
That's a great start, but what about dumping the avatar of that cool lookin' dude, and put up one of yourself.

Though I do understand, I am a bit shy myself and don't like to show my ugly mug, but here is a body shot of me.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That's a great start, but what about dumping the avatar of that cool lookin' dude, and put up one of yourself.

Though I do understand, I am a bit shy myself and don't like to show my ugly mug, but here is a body shot of me.

You may want to put a shirt on, winter is coming.

As for my avatar, it is really me and not just something I dredged up on the internet. My avatar photo was taken in your neck of the woods at the end of May at the finish line of my first ever marathon in Calgary. The next photo in the series would have shows the paramedics carrying me away.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
We use two inch foam on both the beds in our 17B. Without it my shoulders come up against the wood, it seems, halfway through the night. I sleep on my side. The first one was too dense and it has to go under the cushions. The second was just right and is on top of the cushions. The one for the big dinette is cut in three and covered and the covers sewn together so that it folds in three like a map. Easy to stand up by the washroom door if the table is set. The small one is cut in two, covered and the covers joined so that it folds in half and can be put somewhere if we are using the small dinette.
I got the foam. Cut it to fit and then took it back to them to be covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk