Changing Stickers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
Changing Stickers

Has anyone re-sticker'd their Escape?

I have ordered a new decal kit form ETI. It wasn't too crazy priced. I am curious if anyone has done this before, if there were any tricks they used? Being the time of year, I may be waiting until spring to tackle it. I'd really like to get the old ones off as soon as possible though as I suspect they come off much easier the "fresher" they are...
JLModer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You should be able to lift one corner and start pulling them off. You're right, don't wait. A hair dryer may help too. IF you need to scratch them off, use plastic only. No metal. You don't want to score the gelcoat. A plastic knife or even a plexiglass ice scrapper will work once you get started.

Why are you changing them? Don't like the color? OH... and view some YouTube videos on applying decals using the 'Wet Method.'

Good luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I remove some of my rear swish. Used a heat gun but a hair dryer might work. I also used a plastic scraper and a pair of need nose pliers to hold onto the hot graphics. I would try removing a part of the the rear swish to see if you have enough heat and it is a job you want to continue. Not much more info in the link but you can see what I did here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post274196

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
After removing with a heat gun or blow drier, on cars we would put down a run of masking tape to use as a straight edge and butt the decals up against it. Used soapy water and a good rubber squeegee. The surface needs to be clean of any dirt which has a tendency to end up right in the center of the decals. A cool day out of the sun helps.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLModer2 View Post

I have ordered a new decal kit form ETI. It wasn't too crazy priced. I am curious if anyone has done this before, if there were any tricks they used? Being the time of year, I may be waiting until spring to tackle it. I'd really like to get the old ones off as soon as possible though as I suspect they come off much easier the "fresher" they are...
Carefully use a heat gun to soften the graphic and pull it off. You may need to use a citrus based solvent or carefully(don't dissolve the gelcoat) a regular solvent to get the remaining adhesive off. You want a nice clean wax free surface to apply to. Use windshield washer fluid and a plastic application squeegee to apply. Some people like to tape the graphic on its backing where you want it and then slowly work off the backing and apply using the tape as a hinge. If you have never done this before the key is the windshield washer fluid as it allows for repositioning. once you have the graphic all down as you would like it, let it dry and then peel off the transfer tape off of the top. Peel at a steep angle slowly and firmly and avoid pulling across long edges by changing direction to a 45 degree angle. you may want to use an exacto knife to help pick edges and fine parts off of the tape and them get stuck down. You can always warm the graphic and also poke bubbles with a fine pin to work it around corners and get it down right. Good luck! "The former sign guy"
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Another reason to do this soon, if ever, is that when the decals are removed there will be a difference in colour (and gloss) between the exposed gelcoat and the gelcoat which has been protected from the sun by the decals. That probably won't be noticeable yet but eventually it will likely be.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #7

Thanks all for the advice.

I have managed to get ½ of them off. One side and the back. They are coming off pretty easily with a little heat and a plastic scrapper. There are a few spots I have to go back and rub off some adhesive, but not too bad.

The trailer was built in Feb 2019. Several people encouraged me to get it done sooner than later as they said they will be easier to remove.

The reason is we'd like it to match out tow vehicle. They are Teal right now, the truck is Maroon/Burgundy. We debated on just putting on Black or Grey, but decided to go with the Burgundy.

I will be finding a professional to reinstall, but thanks for all the advice!

John
Old 10-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Hi: JLModer2... I haven't re-stickered our trailer but did add graphics to our previous pickup truck. I had ETI supply them, and put on by Auto Trim Design. http://www.autotrimdesign.com Steve worked in my garage at home and did a super job. After a few min. watching I knew I'd have messed it up. Some of the best bucks I've ever spent. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:13 AM   #9

Sharp looking combo Alf!

Our truck is Red, so the teal clashed pretty good. I am not brave enough to put them back on, as I want it all to look good!

John
Old 10-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Do you mind telling how much the new graphics were?
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
I got them direct form Parts at ETI, they have not arrived yet, but paid $300 US, which included shipping. I think she said it was $385 Canadian, but didn't pay much attention to that...

John
Old 10-28-2019, 10:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
If you have any doubts, you can find auto graphics shops in the yellow pages of the phone book (remember those?). Also check with auto body repair shops, as they often have the graphic shops come in to do that work for them, rather than doing it "in house," and they know who does good work.

I paid $85 to have double row pin stripes put around my tow vehicle, and a whopping $10 for the name of my 19, which the shop made up for me and I installed myself.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
I got them direct form Parts at ETI, they have not arrived yet, but paid $300 US, which included shipping. I think she said it was $385 Canadian, but didn't pay much attention to that...

John
Old 10-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #14

It is a little Naked now...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0698.JPG   IMG_0697.JPG  
Old 11-10-2019, 06:18 AM   #15

Decals Arrived Friday. Yesterday was really nice here in Iowa, and my sign guy came over to install them! The Burgundy is a good match to my truck, and I am very happy with how it all turned out!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0738.jpg   IMG_0739.jpg   IMG_0741.jpg  
Old 11-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Nice job, hiring a sign guy never would have occurred to me.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Most of the non electric billboards now are vinyl sheets installed in 8' wide pieces. Years ago the wallpaper guys would work on the billboards, now with electronic messages it is all done by computers.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #18

Yeah, he did the signs for my company and also did the exterior signage for the coworking spot I office out of. All of that was Vinyl stickers, so I figured it would be worth the call before I messed them up.

It appears Escape uses pretty high quality vinyl (according to my sign guy), but I am still very glad I called him. He made things look easy, but there were a few instances with sudden gusts of wind, I surly would have messed up some of the longer ones. It was well worth paying for a few hours of his time!
Old 11-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
It appears Escape uses pretty high quality vinyl (according to my sign guy), but I am still very glad I called him.
The graphics come from Gidney Signs in Chilliwack. Very nice folks to deal with.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The graphics come from Gidney Signs in Chilliwack. Very nice folks to deal with.

Ron
I'll keep note of that. I would have ordered direct from them. That said ETI was great to deal with and got things taken care of quick enough.

If I had the cad files, I would have had my guy cut them here, and probably would have used a reflective vinyl. But maybe next time!