Climate Right AC Install / Drilling Holes in the Side of the Trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #1

Trailer: N/A
Climate Right AC Install / Drilling Holes in the Side of the Trailer

I'm planning on installing a 5000 BTU Climate Right external air conditioner on a cargo hitch rack on my 2018 17B. The main reason I'm going with an external AC is to reduce the noise from the roof mounted units, which drive me nuts.

Can anyone give advice on drilling large holes through the side of the trailer? I'm planning on installing the air intake and exhaust ports near the electrical input (under the seat storage area) and then ducting it into the trailer from there. However, what's the best way to drill a 3.5 in hole through fiberglass? Masking tape and then just a wood rated hole saw?

For some background on the installation, there are some videos here of doing this in a pretty generic looking teardrop (which is likely wood construction):
https://climateright.com/popular-app...ng-and-heating

And, the specific mounting kit I'll use is:
https://climateright.com/teardrop-tr...ation-kit.html

kpfn1216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've drilled lots of holes in f.g. boats and my trailer. There's no hard rule but you're approaching a size where I change my technique a bit.

If, for example I'm drilling a 2" hole, I just drill it. Yes, masking tape can help keep the edges from chipping but it's more a case of the condition of the hole saw.

3 1/2" is starting to get to the size where I do one of two things if possible. I add a backing block or I use the hole saw on a piece of 3/4" plywood and tape it in place. This is because the pilot drill is still the same size but the hole saw is much larger in diameter and if it isn't running true it's much easier to make a bit of an ugly hole.

Although hole saws come in even larger sizes I don't use them freehand unless I can use a backing block and even then there can be problems. I'd rather cut larger holes with a reciprocating saw with a fine toothed blade.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape-21
When drilling with a hole saw in fiberglass drill your pilot hole first with a std. bit then I run the drill in reverse when drilling with your hole saw. The hole saw does not grab and tear up your glass. Follow the other instructions as posted.

Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That'll work also and another thing that can be done is replace the pilot bit with a steel rod of the same size. It helps keep the bit from chewing a larger hole. If you have a guide block or a thick backing block that's not as necessary.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Keep us posted. I have considered doing that (though would probably carry the unit in the vehicle and then set it up when needed- I'm leery of driving with it on the cargo rack.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
FYI: just remember if you permanently install the Climate Right unit on the cargo hitch rack, it voids the unit’s warranty. This issue has been extensively discussed on some of the teardrop camper forums.

I agree that the roof top unit is noisy, but nothing foam ear plugs won’t solve.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #7

Trailer: N/A
Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds straightforward with those tips.

I’ll post some photos once I get to it as well.

And yes, appreciate that it will void the AC warranty. Good thing to keep in mind though I’m going to give it a go anyway.
kpfn1216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv4toys View Post
FYI: just remember if you permanently install the Climate Right unit on the cargo hitch rack, it voids the unit’s warranty. This issue has been extensively discussed on some of the teardrop camper forums.

I agree that the roof top unit is noisy, but nothing foam ear plugs won’t solve.

I’ve used the rooftop unit as a big white noise generator to drown out drunk bozos who thought the campground was their own, personal, private party land. I asked them nicely twice, no camp host or other enforcers available, decided it was easiest (and probably safest) to just drown them out for one night then move on in the morning.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Following
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I’ve used the rooftop unit as a big white noise generator to drown out drunk bozos who thought the campground was their own, personal, private party land. I asked them nicely twice, no camp host or other enforcers available, decided it was easiest (and probably safest) to just drown them out for one night then move on in the morning.
Oh no my mini-split is too quiet to do that!
I guess I'll need to resort to the stereo...