Coats and Shoes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B
Coats and Shoes

A two part question. For those of you who have put shelves in the cupboard, where do you hang your coats and put your extra shoes? For those of you don't have shelves in their cupboard, any input as to what you do if you don't use the closet for hanging coats or storing shoes would be appreciated.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Shelves...

Top: television, pillows
Middle: dishwashing stuff and a few odds & ends
Bottom: pots & pans

Coats: on the Umbra hooks
Shoes: inside the the "floor" cupboard to the right of the door

This is for a 15A so everybody else's storage area, like the wardrobe, might be bigger. And as I've mentioned before, I don't keep clothes in the trailer. They're all in a big tote that I load up from my bedroom and keep in the truck bed; when returning, I just take the tote back to the bedroom to unload whatever is still clean.

Can't seem to make the pics right side up...
Attached Thumbnails
UmbraHookCoats.jpg   WardrobeShelves.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
We (like everyone else it seems) also use the umbra hooks. They work quite well.

For shoes I installed a simple, wood drawer slide in the space under the passenger side dinette seat (we have the door option on that bench). On top of the slide, I screwed a plywood platform that has two plastic bins screwed onto it. Nice to be able to keep muddy soles out of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Shoe Drawer 2.jpg   Rail end with pin.jpg  
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I cut my closet in half and installed a 5 drawer plastic organizer on one half and the rest is open for hanging. The 5 drawers are enough for underwear, shorts and even shoes.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
We (like everyone else it seems) also use the umbra hooks. They work quite well.

For shoes I installed a simple, wood drawer slide in the space under the passenger side dinette seat (we have the door option on that bench). On top of the slide, I screwed a plywood platform that has two plastic bins screwed onto it. Nice to be able to keep muddy soles out of the trailer.
That is the best use for that little storage under the bench I have seen so far . Going to do something very similar . Great job and great thought process for improving that storage . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
A two part question. For those of you who have put shelves in the cupboard, where do you hang your coats and put your extra shoes? For those of you don't have shelves in their cupboard, any input as to what you do if you don't use the closet for hanging coats or storing shoes would be appreciated.
Like others, Umbra hooks for hanging up things. A storage bin under the bed for shoes. We LOVE the pantry with shelves instead of a closet, and clothes are simply folded and stored in the upper cabinets. In a 21, perhaps we'd have a different arrangement because there's more room.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Shelves...

Top: television, pillows
Middle: dishwashing stuff and a few odds & ends
Bottom: pots & pans

Coats: on the Umbra hooks
Shoes: inside the the "floor" cupboard to the right of the door

This is for a 15A so everybody else's storage area, like the wardrobe, might be bigger. And as I've mentioned before, I don't keep clothes in the trailer. They're all in a big tote that I load up from my bedroom and keep in the truck bed; when returning, I just take the tote back to the bedroom to unload whatever is still clean.

Can't seem to make the pics right side up...
Same here in my 17B, although I have had problems with "smelly" sneakers & boots stinking up the clothes in the closet. Now they smell like one of those Vanilla auto mirror trees...
Old 05-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Like others, Umbra hooks for hanging up things. A storage bin under the bed for shoes. We LOVE the pantry with shelves instead of a closet, and clothes are simply folded and stored in the upper cabinets. In a 21, perhaps we'd have a different arrangement because there's more room.
It's true the 21 has more storage, but the 21' is a very different configuration by the door and we struggle with what to do with shoes. There are four of us so by the time you add up hiking boots, sandals (or flip-flops, crocs) and casual shoes for everyone, there's an awful mess of shoes to deal with. As there's no dinette near the door, there's no option to have a door under a seat to toss the shoes. What we do is have a laundry basket with all the shoes. During the day it sits outside the trailer next to the door (and under the awning) so everyone takes off their shoes before entering the trailer. At night, when we leave or whenever else it's prudent to, we put the basket into the washroom, on the floor. Not ideal, but it works until someone here suggests something better!

I must admit that I do like sitting on the end of the bed when putting on my hiking boots though!

For coats, we have Umbra hooks to the side of the door, but hanging coats there covers the handy storage cubby option we have. Instead I've mounted 3M Command hooks on the bathroom door and we hang coats there.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have an Escape 21 with the closet. I do not use the closet for storing clothes. I use it for camera equipment when it is not stowed in my vehicle.

I have a Command Hook at the end of the overhead compartments in the kitchen area, by the door, over the "stripper pole" (I guess that term is now accepted nomenclature), which I use to hang a light jacket and my hat. I store a heavier coat and rain gear in the overhead compartment above the bed. I fold my shirts and store them in the overhead compartments over the side of the bed.

Since I'm traveling alone, I have only two pair of shoes to deal with. I store my hiking boots in one of those shallow compartments near the floor. Right now I don't know where my cross-trainers are; I guess they are in my truck...
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:56 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
On a 21 you can add an under-bed access door next to the bath door, then use a slide-out drawer for holding shoes. I made our from plastic so the it can be rinsed out easily.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0633.jpg   IMG_0634.jpg   IMG_0635.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I had Charlie make us a slide out drawer for shoes that I mounted under our front bench seat. Works great. We use Umbra hooks for coats.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
I divided our closet in the 21. It now has three drawers we use for a pantry and about 9" of hanging space for coats, jackets, or shirts. I split up our under-bed storage into 4 sections; one (with external access) for large items, one for the water heater, one with a long drawer we use for my wife's clothes, and one for shoes. We also have Umbra hooks on the wall between the bed and bathroom for light,, daily wear jackets and hats. With this many access points to under-bed storage, about the only time I lift the top is to show others what has been done - very convenient.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_4569.jpg   SAM_4597.jpg   SAM_4572.jpg   SAM_4599.jpg  
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote