Composting Toilet? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nice job there John ( no puns intended) a first for the Escape family. Would this benefit your stool issue (again no pun) if you installed a raised floor in the bath? You have to step over the door sill and you could raise the floor to be flush (no pun) with the old toilet base? Use a slatted floor so that shower water can escape.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Nice job there John ( no puns intended) a first for the Escape family. Would this benefit your stool issue (again no pun) if you installed a raised floor in the bath? You have to step over the door sill and you could raise the floor to be flush (no pun) with the old toilet base? Use a slatted floor so that shower water can escape.
You are too punny. We’re gonna start calling you Tom Swifty.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wouldn't that make it impossible to stand up in the bathroom? I'm 5'10 and the bathroom ceiling is only a couple inches above my head when standing on the teak matt I built.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #64

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One may have to stoop to loo, not to be confused with skip to my loo.....
Old 11-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE3 View Post
I've installed an Air Head composting toilet in an Escape 5.0, have been living with it for 3 seasons now, and I still do a little dance when I explain to people I will never use a black-water dump again. It's not perfect, but for my purposes, mostly boondocking, I love it!

Pros
- No water used.
- No black water to dump.
- Black water tank can be used to increase grey water storage.
- Due to above, extends maximum boondocking duration.
- No odour ... repeat, no odour! Well, smells like potting soil when emptying solids.
- Empty solids only once every 30 days use for 2 people.
- Don’t have to empty solids between trips.
- Easy and quick to empty solids. Compost, or dispose of solids in trash.
- Easy and quick to empty liquids.

Cons
- Seat is too high when retrofitted on black water tank; need a stool to sit.
- Ok, there’s a little urine odour when emptying the liquids tank
- Liquids must be emptied every 2 or 3 days; must monitor tank level.
- Should spritz bowl with vinegar/water solution after use.
- Tutorial required for guests.
but worst of all …
- I didn’t know about this before I bought the trailer. I would have left out the toilet and black water tank to facilitate installation of a composting toilet.

The installation of the toilet is straight forward enough. I spent more time cleaning out the black water tank than installing the toilet. I elected to remove the existing toilet flange instead of using a spacer, so returning to the original toilet will require additional work. The required vent hose can simply exit on the side wall, but I decided to splice into the existing black water tank vent, so this added to the installation complexity. Continuous power (minimal) is required for the vent fan, so some wiring will have to be installed.

So would I do it again? Absolutely! I will never go back to a flush toilet in an RV, or a black water dump site, again.
Your a trailblazer John . I follow Bex CatHerder and Oliver is offering the composting toilet now . Interesting ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #66

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
I agree with rbryan4, that raising the floor isn't practical, and stooping to loo, or wizz, or shower etc. Just doesn't work for me. The stool (I'm referring to a step here) works fine to make compost or read, and tucks under the sink to facilitate standing for everything else.

Also, you're probably right about not being able to get Escape to leave out the raised part of the floor. I thought about taking a saws-all to it, but that's a bit of work to refinish the fibreglass, and it's fine as it is.

I suppose I should sell the original toilet, since I'll never go back, and I can easily promote the Air Head as a feature if I ever sell the trailer. Maybe I will modify the floor one day.

I probably should have added cost to the "cons". At over $1000 Canadian it's a stupid price for a bit of plastic, but for me, worth it in convenience. You can buy seats that separate the solids from liquids, and fashion a home made unit for a lot less, but the esthetics my take a hit. The Air Head looks pretty good… for a toilet. Really, the only trick is separation.
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #67

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
P.S.

Thanks for the positive comments!
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote