Cot and more - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Cot and more

Going through our semi-final list (our 'final' needs to be in by the end of this month) and we're on the fence about a few things. Hoping that our forum friends can weigh in with their thoughts. 1) Has anyone ordered the cot in the 19' and, if so, what are some of the pros and cons. Our kids are already asking to "borrow" our trailer and, with two little guys each, we're thinking the cot might be a good addition. 2) We're trying to figure out where to place the 110 outlets and two 12v outlets. Anyone put outlets where they're really happy or where they wish they hadn't? 3) T.V. Someone had the television mounted on the passenger side, back, over the bed. Any other thoughts? Thanks, in advance, for all your help.
Jan & John
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #2

We ordered "cot ready". That way we simply add the cot to the installed bracing when we see the need.

12v Less items use them these days. More have transformers. We only use 12v for auto appliances like cell phone charging. Placement should be counter or shelf accessible.

TV. We opted for using a laptop with a USB TV plug and play module. It goes wherever we want it.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #3

Thank you! Your comment on the 12v is spot on. In the past, we've used 12v outlets only for our cell phones and fans so we might just forgo the extra outlet. Since we're not familiar with all the new T.V. gadgets and hookups that are available, I apologize for my seemingly silly questions. Does a USB TV plug and play enable you to receive only local channels on your laptop? I guess I should look into how it works as we do have a rather nice laptop.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Our kids are already asking to "borrow" our trailer and, with two little guys each, we're thinking the cot might be a good addition.
Jan & John
The subject of loaning your trailer to others has been discussed on the Fiberglass RV forum. You might want to read these strings before agreeing to lend your trailer:

Would your loan out your egg? - Fiberglass RV

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-56590.html

Our kids have asked to borrow our trailer and we have told them "no". A trailer is quite a bit more complex than a car. There are a lot of things that can go wrong.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The 12V does mostly get used for charging phones for us too. Maybe a tablet or a bluetooth receiver too. I know there are splitters you can plug in, but we do make use of our second 12V plug quite a bit with two things charging at once.

I too wish I had of had prepped our trailer to be cot ready, mostly for when our grandkids are with us. We have loaned our trailer before, and would again to our kids or the 'right' friends. Our trailer is not very complex at all though.

We have never used a TV in our trailer, but twice in almost 5 years now, have used a receiver with our laptop. We just don't watch much TV when camping. Maybe once we retire and do longer trips. Our trailer is ready to go with a TV if we want one. It would be mounted on the gable to the right of the galley so it can be swiveled to view in bed or at the dinette. If I had to do it all over again, I don't think I would even prep for a TV.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I kept the tv out of the bed area to allow someone to sleep in while the early riser can watch tv at the dinette, likewise at nighttime, keeping the 2 areas apart is helpful. The cot ready is helpful for younger children, but 2 can easily sleep at the dinette, so if you have more than 2 then it is a viable option.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Cpap machines use 12volt, be sure you have a 12 volt near each bed. We have two iPhones and an iPad,, there can be competition for the 12 volt outlets, splitters have too many problems. A dual outlet?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #8

You can not have too many 12v outlets, most LED tv and computers operate off DC current and other than air-conditioning and your microwave, your entire trailer is 12 volts. With solar you have endless charging capacity. I even have a 12v blanket for those rest area stop overs. Between 12v and propane, you can camp without electricity.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We purchased the cot with our 19' and find it works quite well for either our 12 yr old daughter or our (6' - 3" 18 yr old son. They both find it fairly comfortable. My wife has even lounged on the cot, but I have been afraid to try. I believe Reace has set a recommended weight limit of 200 lb for the cot.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #10

Wow! Great thoughts from all ... thank you. Your comments have tipped us over the fence on the cot and whether or not to install additional 12v outlets. Now we just have to figure out the best locations for the 110 outlets. And Jim, your comment about moving the television out of the sleeping area is a good one and one which I hadn't thought about.

And I fully understand the trepidation in loaning out a trailer and would never do so unless: 1) they were our kids, and 2) we were confident in their towing and problem-solving abilities (nor would I loan to someone I couldn't yell at). Thankfully, our "kids" (and their husbands) are older, responsible and used to hauling large objects -- we're actually the "trailer hauling newbies". Plus, everyone is well versed in driving and maintaining a houseboat which, considering all the issues involved with that beast, has probably been good practice.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The 12V does mostly get used for charging phones for us too. Maybe a tablet or a bluetooth receiver too. I know there are splitters you can plug in, but we do make use of our second 12V plug quite a bit with two things charging at once.

I too wish I had of had prepped our trailer to be cot ready, mostly for when our grandkids are with us. We have loaned our trailer before, and would again to our kids or the 'right' friends. Our trailer is not very complex at all though.

We have never used a TV in our trailer, but twice in almost 5 years now, have used a receiver with our laptop. We just don't watch much TV when camping. Maybe once we retire and do longer trips. Our trailer is ready to go with a TV if we want one. It would be mounted on the gable to the right of the galley so it can be swiveled to view in bed or at the dinette. If I had to do it all over again, I don't think I would even prep for a TV.
We have used splitters as well and find they can be problematic so having more outlets is, no doubt, the way to go. With DH retiring in about a month, we're hoping for some longer trips too which is why we're opting for the television ... although, your mention of the laptop made us realize that we'll have DVD watching capability as well.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #12

I just got this nice LED 12v digital HD TV with DVD player for my new Escape
Amazon.com: NAXA NTD-1552 15.6-Inch Widescreen HD LED TV with Built-in Digital TV Tuner and USB/SD Inputs and DVD Player: Electronics
That way someone else can surf the web and this forum while you watch tv or movies.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #13

Nice!! Will have to look into that one. Although, with that big 21'er, won't you be needing a much larger screen ... ;-)