Cover for battery disconnect switch? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2017, 12:36 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
I'm looking for something to completely cover the switch.

looks like this might JUST fit.

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Techno.../dp/B019EDQHMS

I would hope i would not have to cut down the length of the toggle on the switch

if i did - how would i cut it?

i dont have a dremel.

thanks
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I'm looking for something to completely cover the switch.

looks like this might JUST fit.

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Techno.../dp/B019EDQHMS

I would hope i would not have to cut down the length of the toggle on the switch

if i did - how would i cut it?

i dont have a dremel.

thanks
The switch (at least mine does) projects 1-1/2 inches through the wall. There is, however, enough of the threaded body exposed that by removing the retaining nut and using a couple of washers over the shaft before inserting it back through the wall, you might be able to effectively reduce the distance it projects and possibly allow the switch to fit under the cover without alteration.

That being said, I recommend that anyone who is at all handy using tools add a Dremel to their inventory. I am now on my second one. I bought one many years ago to do one specific job believing that after completing that job the Dremel would for the most part gather dust. Wrong! It has proven to be one of my most used tools, and most frequently used with the small cut-off wheels. Sanding drums, wire brushes, and grinding butts, including the engraving tip come in a distant second. I find the flexible shaft to be a "must have."
Old 01-27-2017, 08:04 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
...I recommend that anyone who is at all handy using tools add a Dremel to their inventory. I am now on my second one. I bought one many years ago to do one specific job believing that after completing that job the Dremel would for the most part gather dust. Wrong! It has proven to be one of my most used tools, and most frequently used with the small cut-off wheels. Sanding drums, wire brushes, and grinding butts, including the engraving tip come in a distant second. I find the flexible shaft to be a "must have."
They are also great for home dentistry. With this tool, you can save a ton of money on extractions, cleanings, and fillings.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
The switch (at least mine does) projects 1-1/2 inches through the wall. There is, however, enough of the threaded body exposed that by removing the retaining nut and using a couple of washers over the shaft before inserting it back through the wall, you might be able to effectively reduce the distance it projects and possibly allow the switch to fit under the cover without alteration.

That being said, I recommend that anyone who is at all handy using tools add a Dremel to their inventory. I am now on my second one. I bought one many years ago to do one specific job believing that after completing that job the Dremel would for the most part gather dust. Wrong! It has proven to be one of my most used tools, and most frequently used with the small cut-off wheels. Sanding drums, wire brushes, and grinding butts, including the engraving tip come in a distant second. I find the flexible shaft to be a "must have."
Totally agree with you about the dremel tool . I have many different saws and balked at getting one of these for a long time . Then I got one and it is the most useful tool and used a lot . My favorite little tool .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #25

OK. So.......I finally went out to the trailer with camera in hand.
98 cents at Chinamart, in some circles still called by its original name (Walmart), in the kitchen gadgets section.
Thick plastic, nothing to lift to get to the switch, easy to flip the switch on or off, yet protected on all sides (360 degrees). If my fading memory serves me correctly, about 2 minutes to drill a hole, and maybe 5 minutes to grind the lip off the bottom with a disc sander so that enough shaft projected through for the two nuts. Maximum of 3 minutes to install for a grand total of 10 minutes. Although the photo has some reflections, it does not interfere with using the 120 vac outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0071.jpg  
Old 01-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Brilliant.....
Old 01-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
98 cents at Chinamart, in some circles still called by its original name (Walmart), in the kitchen gadgets section.
Thick plastic, nothing to lift to get to the switch, easy to flip the switch on or off, yet protected on all sides (360 degrees). If my fading memory serves me correctly, about 2 minutes to drill a hole, and maybe 5 minutes to grind the lip off the bottom with a disc sander so that enough shaft projected through for the two nuts. Maximum of 3 minutes to install for a grand total of 10 minutes. Although the photo has some reflections, it does not interfere with using the 120 vac outlet.
That looks good. I think I'll put a couple of yogurt cups together.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
nicely done.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ingenious Carl. What was the original purpose of the gadget supposed to be?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Ingenious Carl. What was the original purpose of the gadget supposed to be?
I'm really not sure. My spouse uses similar cups to premeasure small amounts of salt, sugar, or other ingredients when cooking. They could probably used for individual servings of condiments. I could see using them in a workbench for small parts. When I purchased it, I had been looking unsuccessfully for a small, rectangular acrylic box to make a switch guard. When I saw these, I realized it would probably work.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I have some tiny rectangular plastic boxes that are likely from either Target or Walmart. They should work similarly to Carl's item. Very clever.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:52 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have you all beat. No switch. No cover required.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yea, some things need to have a lid put on them. But if they are not present, no lid is needed.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Where were you when the lights went out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Hi: gbaglo... At least our '07 5.0 had the switch inside the compartment under the dinette seat. Only snagged it once with the power cord B/4 I put a guard over it!!! Cranking the landing gear by hand was no mean feat. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote