Curtain around bed of Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Curtain around bed of Escape 21

Has anyone installed a curtain around the foot of the bed in an Escape 21? Picture number 31 (bottom left photo under the Photo Gallery tab) at this link shows a curtain installation around the foot of the bed of a Bigfoot trailer? We would like details on how it is installed and pictures if possible.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Richard,
In both the Escape 21 and 19, the bed area underneath is enclosed to use for storage. There are access doors but no area for a curtain.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Has anyone installed a curtain around the foot of the bed in an Escape 21? Picture number 31 (bottom left photo under the Photo Gallery tab) at this link shows a curtain installation around the foot of the bed of a Bigfoot trailer? We would like details on how it is installed and pictures if possible.
Hi Richard you could enclose the bed area without enclosing under bed . We have a 19 and used a tension rod for our bed area . We have storage under bed as well . Later I could post you some pictures if you would like . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We are contemplating the same thing. My wife usually calls it a night first and likes the sleeping area very dark. I stay awake later to read or watch the local news on TV then perhaps a late show. So how to block my lit-up dinette area from her dark bed area. We are planning to initially try a couple command hooks on opposite cabinets with a tension cord stretched across the aisle supporting a dark shear curtain. Then I can just quietly drop one end of the cord when I go to bed. We'll see if that works once we get the 21'. I'm sure it will be a work in progress, but that's part of the fun....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
had a few minutes so took a few pictures to give you the idea . Curtain is a shower curtain , cut down and hemmed ,with shower curtain hangers . We made a tie back and installed snaps . It is installed on a tension rod . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0820.jpg   IMG_0821.jpg   IMG_0822.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016, 12:11 PM   #6

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
21 curtain

I hate to see pictures on their side, all I can do.
That is a curtain rod from B,B, and B screwed to bath wall.
Jack

I fixed them Jack. Donna
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0614a.jpg   IMG_0615b.jpg   IMG_0616c.jpg   IMG_0617d.jpg  
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #7

21 curtain

I asked Reace about a track from the bath across the ceiling to the far wall, he said that sounded like something I could do, I took that as a no. He did say there is wood around the vent hole for me to consider.
Jack
Old 11-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
We are contemplating the same thing. My wife usually calls it a night first and likes the sleeping area very dark. I stay awake later to read or watch the local news on TV then perhaps a late show. So how to block my lit-up dinette area from her dark bed area. We are planning to initially try a couple command hooks on opposite cabinets with a tension cord stretched across the aisle supporting a dark shear curtain. Then I can just quietly drop one end of the cord when I go to bed. We'll see if that works once we get the 21'. I'm sure it will be a work in progress, but that's part of the fun....
Your command hook idea i think is a great starting point

You might be interested to know that we just bought a couple of these "blackout" curtains that let basically no light thru...

they have big grommets across them - if you could find a suitable size (I dont know if they sell a wide enough size to do the job with one curtain) you could forgo the tension cord, and just use the built in grommets onto the command hooks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N70FM7Q

they seem decently made, and are made of a nice soft material.

or you could use them with a tension cord.

we will use them, with a shower curtain tension rod, across the dinette, when it is a bed for our child to sleep in, and not be bothered by our light from ipads etc.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
had a few minutes so took a few pictures to give you the idea . Curtain is a shower curtain , cut down and hemmed ,with shower curtain hangers . We made a tie back and installed snaps . It is installed on a tension rod . Pat
Also have same idea at door . That one we lined . It blocks the light from door , but most important keeps trailer much warmer .there is a lot of heat lost from the door . Pat
Old 11-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
That is a curtain rod from B,B, and B screwed to bath wall.
Jack
Jack,
I like your idea of a rod from the bathroom wall to the vent. Do you have another rod from the vent to the far wall?
Richard

Here are a couple of my thoughts:
If there are places with reinforcement wood in the roof (such as around the vent fan), could a track get screwed into these pieces of wood? Is there a way to find out where all the reinforcement is in the roof and how thick the wood is?

Another idea, which is used a lot in the Casitas is to drill holes through the roof and attach the track with either pop rivets and plastic caps outside or stainless steel bolts with finish washers. Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #11

21 curtain

With the 19 we attached a curtain using upholstery fabric as Pat and Linda but the 21 had the concern of blocking view of the bed from the door way. No I didn't put another rod on the opposite side although I could have to cover the bed more completely. The track I had in mind would have been like the one in the bath and the one across the front door area and there is enough wood around the vent to attach.
Jack
Old 11-19-2016, 04:42 PM   #12

In the 21', I'm thinking more of angling a curtain from the cubby bin wall near the door to the overhead cabinet above the drawer stack. That would allow me to go in and out the door without bothering my wife, shield the bed from view and from outside light if/when I'm going in and out the door, and give her privacy to go from bed to bathroom and back whether I happen to be going through the door at the time or not. Or at least that's what I'm thinking will work. We'll see....
Old 11-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I asked Reace about a track from the bath across the ceiling to the far wall, he said that sounded like something I could do, I took that as a no. He did say there is wood around the vent hole for me to consider.
Jack
Did you not have the standard curtain across the door on a 2013? Or just wanted one closer to the bed?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #14

21 curtain

We have maybe the first curtain across the door, great fabric, but wanted a little more when going through the door and when reading at the dinette while someone was sleeping or to hide the bed.
Jack
Old 11-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Could just do like Jim and switch back to a 19 with the bed in the back.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:55 PM   #16

Schematic of what I was trying to explain in Post #12 above.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 21 Floorplan with Curtain.pdf (81.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 11-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Schematic of what I was trying to explain in Post #12 above.
That's look it would work . Nice private little room . Pat
Old 11-20-2016, 07:17 AM   #18

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I ordered tracks and hangers from http://www.curtain-tracks.com. They have all kinds of hardware options. Some tracks can be even be bent (gently, gently)
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I ordered tracks and hangers from Curtain Tracks & Drapery Track Systems | Curtain-Tracks.com. They have all kinds of hardware options. Some tracks can be even be bent (gently, gently)
Thanks for the recommendation. We have a while before getting our trailer, so I'm saving this web site.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #20

21 curtain.

Greg, no way we will give up the large isle, counter space and large bath. I do like the looks of the 15 that could go behind a small old car but our carport is not big enough for two.
Jack