Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #201

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Does your unit have a back up electric heat? On my unit in my house, Fujitsu they had to run an auxiliary 30 amp circuit for back up electric heat. Once the outdoor unit determines that the outside temperature is too cold for heat transfer, it supplements with electric heat to maintain the set temperature. I can tell when the outdoor unit is not running because the bushes are not moving, but this only happens when it is something like below 32 degrees, otherwise it manages to grab some heat. I remember years ago about heat pumps having to have electric heat backup in case of compressor failure. Also not to play with the thermostat with set backs because if the differential is too great the supplemental heat is activated thus causing an inordinate amount of electric use thereby eliminating the efficiency of the heat pump.
Jim, no this unit does not have backup electric resistance heat. I am not aware of any ductless mini-splits that do. Mfr's have always recommended these for cooling primarily and only as a secondary heat source. Improvements in technology now allow some heat pumps to still provide some heat well into negative temperatures, but they are all 208/230V. I am aware of ducted residential heat pumps that have aux electric or have an aux relay for a duct mounted coil.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #202

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin H View Post
You are correct: it was a 120v unit. I remember it being difficult finding one. They were not widely available at that time.
I believe Fujitsu has a 120vac model.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #203

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
I am a big fan of mini-splits. While I do not have one in my RV, here are a few pics of a setup I put together to cool my garage/workshop. I had to make it portable as it was a condo and I could not put in a permanent installation. The versatility of these systems is only limited by your imagination.
This is brilliant !
Old 01-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #204

Quote:
Whew! That's a tough one. This was about 13 years ago. I sold the setup when we sold the condo and went fulltime nine years ago. No record. You are correct: it was a 120v unit. I remember it being difficult finding one. They were not widely available at that time.
No big deal. I was just curious if it was one I missed when researching units. The current Carrier offerings have outdoor sections that are bigger and heavier than what I used.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
I believe Fujitsu has a 120vac model.
Yes, I used the 9,000 BTU Fujitsu 9RL2. Still the smallest available model I could find in 120V. It is interesting to note that their 12,000 BTU model (12RL2) is the same exact package size for both indoor and outdoor components. The only difference is the outdoor unit is 5lbs heavier and a touch louder. I only mention this in case someone exploring this mod was more comfortable with a little higher capacity and was worried components would get even larger.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #206

The new mini-split heat pump is working so well that we have decided to remove the stock Dometic rooftop unit. The advantages to this are numerous: lower overall trailer height, less drag, less weight, more room for future solar, opening can now be used for passive ventilation/light, overall exterior look/profile and more headroom inside trailer where A/C distribution plenum resides. The unit will be replaced with a Fan-Tastic non-powered vent (no fan) with smoke cover. This should install nicely into the standard 14"x14" rough opening. It appears that ETI cut the headliner quite nicely around the roof opening so the standard trim ring supplied will make a clean installation on the interior.

I'll post some pictures when we do the work in case anyone is interested.

Fan-Tastic Non-powered Roof Vent- Smoke - Dometic 800900 - Vents - Camping World
Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #207

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you are interested, I have a rare FF smoke lens cover that is insulated, it is double paned. A hold over from my sob ownership.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you are interested, I have a rare FF smoke lens cover that is insulated, it is double paned. A hold over from my sob ownership.
Very interested Jim. The one reservation I had was the thin, single layer polycarbonate holding up over time. Not putting an additional cover over the vent. Can you PM me with a pic and what you want for it?
Old 01-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #209

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hole in the roof

Maybe you could go to the auto salvage yard and get a moonroof wth power control. Then mount the solar panel to that. At night, look at the stars, by day generate electricity. Think big.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Maybe you could go to the auto salvage yard and get a moonroof with power control. Then mount the solar panel to that. At night, look at the stars, by day generate electricity. Think big.
Dave
Dave, funny you say this. I was originally thinking about a small power moonroof or maybe a large fixed skylight like Bigfoot uses. Took the simpler path as I don't want the the complexity of a custom installation and the problem of having an odd size opening if it didn't work out and leaked, etc.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Notice that the water heater and furnace - which produce exhaust and make noise - are on the street side of an Escape.
I've been thinking a bit more about this comment. My fathers 1999 Scamp 16 had the water heater on the curb (door) side and I remember having to be vigilant with the kids when it was on propane as the outlet got extremely hot. Looking at every Escape model, Reace has been able to accommodate the water heater and furnace on the street side. It may seem minor but this is very thoughtful design and execution. It appears that Scamp, Casita, Parkliner and even Oliver have either the furnace or water heater on the curb side depending on model and options. Parkliner has both on the curb side.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The new mini-split heat pump is working so well that we have decided to remove the stock Dometic rooftop unit. The advantages to this are numerous: lower overall trailer height, less drag, less weight, more room for future solar, opening can now be used for passive ventilation/light, overall exterior look/profile and more headroom inside trailer where A/C distribution plenum resides. The unit will be replaced with a Fan-Tastic non-powered vent (no fan) with smoke cover. This should install nicely into the standard 14"x14" rough opening. It appears that ETI cut the headliner quite nicely around the roof opening so the standard trim ring supplied will make a clean installation on the interior.

I'll post some pictures when we do the work in case anyone is interested.

Fan-Tastic Non-powered Roof Vent- Smoke - Dometic 800900 - Vents - Camping World
The nice weather helped to finish up the A/C retrofit with removal of the overhead unit and adding the non-powered vent. Job was straightforward after removal of the unit and cleaning of the roof. The original A/C is held on by a hefty bracket on the inside so no holes needed to be patched on the roof. The new screws that came with the kit had small heads that wanted to pull through the plastic flange with decent tightening. I replaced with stainless steel with larger heads. The thick reinforced roof in the area of the A/C made for a strong attachment without modification. This thickness also allows for the vent handle to remain recessed on the interior with nothing below the plane of the ceiling. The 120V wiring was safed-off and tucked along the edge of the vent enclosure. The outside flange has butyl tape and it will be finished off with ProFlex around the entire perimeter and over the screws. Really like how this turned out. Natural light and ventilation with the vent open, diffuse light through the smoke cover with the vent closed.
Attached Thumbnails
AC inside.jpg   hole in roof.jpg   removing unit.jpg   vent exterior.jpg   lid open.jpg  

lid closed.jpg   profile.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #213

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The nice weather helped to finish up the A/C retrofit with removal of the overhead unit and adding the non-powered vent. Job was straightforward after removal of the unit and cleaning of the roof. The original A/C is held on by a hefty bracket on the inside so no holes needed to be patched on the roof. The new screws that came with the kit had small heads that wanted to pull through the plastic flange with decent tightening. I replaced with stainless steel with larger heads. The thick reinforced roof in the area of the A/C made for a strong attachment without modification. This thickness also allows for the vent handle to remain recessed on the interior with nothing below the plane of the ceiling. The 120V wiring was safed-off and tucked along the edge of the vent enclosure. The outside flange has butyl tape and it will be finished off with ProFlex around the entire perimeter and over the screws. Really like how this turned out. Natural light and ventilation with the vent open, diffuse light through the smoke cover with the vent closed.
Very neat installation ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #214

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Very neat installation ! Pat
Looks like a cute little girl wants to go camping.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Looks like a cute little girl wants to go camping.
Yeah, the kids love it. Have to get out more often before they get too cool to hang out with us. The problem with being an engineer is planning and executing the modifications are fun too!
Old 06-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #216

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I'd be interested in hearing back from rubicon327 on what his experience has been if he followed through on this plan.

Walt
Blacksburg, VA
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I'd be interested in hearing back from rubicon327 on what his experience has been if he followed through on this plan.
Walt: I know the thread is long but it might be worth scanning as I have tried to follow up with all phases of the install with pictures. The unit has been working flawlessly and the trailer has been towed well over 1000 miles since the installation. Have used it for both cooling and heating. Let me know if you want any further details.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #218

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
As a bump for Rubi's excellent posting, and also a bump for others who may be interested in knowning about alternative units:

https://www.costco.ca/Forest-Air-Min...100364636.html

My own personal take away from this, is that I am just glad there are more units coming on the market that may be of interest to RV'ers. 8000BTU?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #219

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
My own personal take away from this, is that I am just glad there are more units coming on the market that may be of interest to RV'ers. 8000BTU?
Interesting idea but only available through Canadian Costco.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #220
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I don't really see that as an alternative to the Mitsubishi, because the interior unit is square and blockish, rather than long and skinny. Can't be mounted out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk