Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #221
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm really hoping the Noria is successful. I have friends that have supported the KickStarter project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cool-redefined
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:22 AM   #222

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm really hoping the Noria is successful. I have friends that have supported the KickStarter project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cool-redefined
Donna, This looks promising! The horizontal mount restriction and the upward direction of the air flow would require a creative install for a trailer. But it is nice to see new AC options hitting the market.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:42 AM   #223

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't really see that as an alternative to the Mitsubishi, because the interior unit is square and blockish, rather than long and skinny. Can't be mounted out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Actually it is shown in the pictures sitting in an RV on a shelf and the outdoor unit has carrying handle. Less of a permanent mount but definitely smaller than other units.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #224

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually it is shown in the pictures sitting in an RV on a shelf and the outdoor unit has carrying handle. Less of a permanent mount but definitely smaller than other units.

Good eye Jim, I didn't see that one The 21 has several locations for building in that unit, subject to WAF.

If Donna's Noria happens and the 50db is an improvement over the Dometic and 5000BTU is sufficient, I would slap that sucker up where the range hood is.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Good eye Jim, I didn't see that one The 21 has several locations for building in that unit, subject to WAF.

If Donna's Noria happens and the 50db is an improvement over the Dometic and 5000BTU is sufficient, I would slap that sucker up where the range hood is.
that would be an excellent location and I'd do the same if I did not have a/c or if I ever did order another Escape, I'd leave off a/c as it is too large and noisy for such a small trailer and do the Noria swap.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #226
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Donna, This looks promising! The horizontal mount restriction and the upward direction of the air flow would require a creative install for a trailer. But it is nice to see new AC options hitting the market.
I'm truly hoping this thing works. And it would be even better if it would run, even for a few hours, off dual 6v with solar! At 21 inches needed for installation, maybe install in the egress window? Hummm. Specs attached
Attached Thumbnails
Novia.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #227

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
As a bump for Rubi's excellent posting, and also a bump for others who may be interested in knowning about alternative units:

https://www.costco.ca/Forest-Air-Min...100364636.html

My own personal take away from this, is that I am just glad there are more units coming on the market that may be of interest to RV'ers. 8000BTU?
Thanks for the compliment regarding the thread. Glad to see other alternatives as well. Limited information available online regarding this ForestAir unit, but just a quick comparison with the information available to the Fujitsu mini-split heat pump I installed for those that may be interested:
-Forest Air unit data lists 43 dB on low (only number listed)
This is non-scientific, but on paper roughly equivalent to the Fujitsu mini-split on high speed so my video linked in post #152 of this thread should give some rough indication of the indoor noise level at its lowest fan setting. This is still much quieter than the Dometic overhead (reported at 65 dB +/- on low) and may be much better for some people, but bear in mind the sound may increase considerably as fan speeds are raised to medium and high. Just trying to provide some perspective.

-The ForestAir unit does not appear to be a heat pump (reversible refrigeration cycle) so no heating mode. We have found the versatility of the Fujitsu amazing for use as a super quiet heat source when plugged in during moderate temperatures. This may be a non-issue for some.

-The ForestAir does not appear to have variable speed compressor technology, which allows the unit to provide only the cooling capacity needed to meet the load while reducing noise and saving energy. As far as overall capacity, 8,000 BTUH seems about right. The Fujitsu is a 9,000 BTUH unit and does a great job. Remember without variable speed compressor technology the unit does not react to part-load conditions and will cycle much more often and not dehumidify very well. This situation is exacerbated with an oversized unit like the overhead Dometics.

Interesting that they state outdoor unit has a condensate pump. The indoor unit generates the condensate. This might be a typo.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #228

Quote:
Quote:
that would be an excellent location and I'd do the same if I did not have a/c or if I ever did order another Escape, I'd leave off a/c as it is too large and noisy for such a small trailer and do the Noria swap.
A decent location except for the fact that the noise, dripping condensate and rejected heat is right out under the awning where you may be sitting back relaxing.

I do wonder how low one could go with capacity and adequately cool the trailer. What we know for sure is the 11,000 BTU Dometics are oversized for these small trailers and we know my 9,000 BTU unit works well. But 5,000 BTU? The trailer sizes (19 & 21) are in the ballpark for the recommendation for window A/C sizing in a house (100-150 SF), but that is accounting for much better insulation. I wonder if anyone has rigged up a small capacity window unit and could provide some perspective?

On edit I did find this post by Ron in BC where he did use a 5,000 BTU window A/C on his 19. Any feedback Ron? He is not in the hottest of areas but it would be great to know how hot it got and was still able to adequately cool the trailer.
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/install-an-air-conditioner-yourself-5733-2.html#post103620
Old 06-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #229

Perhaps the condensate tubing is in the umbilical cord to the outside unit?
As far as sizing, yes the 5,000 may be too small, but with it being so quiet and drawing only 4 amps, it can run all day. My first Escape had the Polar Cub 9000 but unit, it was perfect. But you could not get the digital thermostat except with the Dometic, so I switched in the 21 and the Dometic was not that bad in the 21 because it was further away from the bed. In the 19 it is a lot closer and louder.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #230

Quote:
Perhaps the condensate tubing is in the umbilical cord to the outside unit?
That would make sense, but then you are already outside and could just dump it to grade. This also means indoor to outdoor conveyance of condensate is via gravity and indoor unit would always need to be above outdoor. Still not seeing why you would you need a pump in the outdoor unit. Maybe if you are rejecting the heat into a large garage or something like that then this allows you to get the condensate somewhere more manageable?
Old 06-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm truly hoping this thing works. And it would be even better if it would run, even for a few hours, off dual 6v with solar!
In an earlier post on this thread, it was discussed that Kimberley caravans are powering a 7500 BTU A/C via a 2500W inverter fed from a 480 amp-hour lithium battery bank with 720W of rooftop solar. They are presumably allowing for operation overnight. Not saying that is what you would need, especially if you only intended to limit operation to a couple of hours. Just an order of magnitude to provide a little bit of perspective.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #232

One year update

Just over a year now since the mini-split system was made operational so I wanted to provide a quick report. The system has worked flawlessly. Since it is a heat pump it has been used for both heating and cooling. I have not altered anything related to the design and installation and the trailer has been towed several thousand miles. The 9,000 BTU/H cooling capacity has been more than adequate. Being variable speed the unit typically stays on low and maintains the trailer at a very comfortable temperature even on the hottest days. The heating mode is a nice alternative to the noisy furnace to take the chill off in the morning. The placement of the inside unit high in the trailer blowing lengthwise has been perfect for air distribution. The noise level inside and outside is incredibly quiet. The replacement of the overhead A/C reduced weight and provided the opportunity to install a smoke Fantastic vent which provides a view of the sky and diffuse light into the trailer. This has been the best modification we have done.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #233
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This has been the best modification we have done.
And by far one of the coolest Dave. Quiet AC. It can be done.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #234

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
This is great news Dave! I hope to hear more positive reports over the next five years. Quiet cooling is wonderful; quiet heating is a nice bonus.

I'm jealous and wish I could figure out a clean looking way to install one on my soon to be hatched 5.0 TA. I just can't think of any way that won't ruin its fine lines. At least, thanks to Jim Bennett, I have a way to get quiet heat with a toe kick heater under my bottom step.

Stay cool!

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I'm jealous and wish I could figure out a clean looking way to install one on my soon to be hatched 5.0 TA. I just can't think of any way that won't ruin its fine lines.
Rich: I don't know how much clearance there is between truck and trailer with the 5.0 but is there any possibility of a front tray like John Schroeder implemented on his Scamp 5th wheel?
Attached Thumbnails
front tray.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #236

and while we are asking questions, what would be a ball park figure to replace the stock a/c with the split system?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #237

Quote:
and while we are asking questions, what would be a ball park figure to replace the stock a/c with the split system?
Jim: I got my equipment (unit and 15' line set) at trade cost ($810) but the unit is available to the general public at ecomfort.com. Would be $1,130 out the door there. Figure another $200 in misc materials (wiring, Liquidtite conduit, fittings, drain tubing...). I bought an expensive battery box for inside which not everyone would need...another $200. The two wildcards are a platform for the condenser and start-up by an HVAC tech. Both were friends so maybe another $150 for me. Removing the rooftop A/C was more labor, but only $60 for the Fantastic vent. So all in for me was ~$1,420 plus all my own labor. For someone buying the unit off the internet you are at ~$1,330 for just the unit and misc materials. All in it is quickly north of $1,500 and a significant amount of labor. Each trailer would be unique and obviously there is more cost for a more elaborate bracket/platform for the condenser (say on the rear) and longer line set and wiring due to a front storage box, but it can all be worked out. When we consider the value added to the trailer it was money well spent.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #238

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
5.0TA packaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I'm jealous and wish I could figure out a clean looking way to install one on my soon to be hatched 5.0 TA. I just can't think of any way that won't ruin its fine lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I don't know how much clearance there is between truck and trailer with the 5.0 but is there any possibility of a front tray like John Schroeder implemented on his Scamp 5th wheel?
I wouldn't expect enough clearance to put the tailgate down with a substantial box there, unless the hitch is mounted well rearward of the usual location... but installations vary. Perhaps more importantly, while the Scamp 19' has no compartments there (and thus has the propane out in the open), an Escape 5.0TA has the propane in a compartment for which access is required.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #239

Thanks for the detail Rubicon....
Old 08-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I wouldn't expect enough clearance to put the tailgate down with a substantial box there, unless the hitch is mounted well rearward of the usual location... but installations vary. Perhaps more importantly, while the Scamp 19' has no compartments there (and thus has the propane out in the open), an Escape 5.0TA has the propane in a compartment for which access is required.
Brian: I was thinking of something unique. Maybe the condensing unit could fit inside the compartment with inlet air from the bottom or somehow fan assisted like Kimberley does with their split A/C system. The compartment door would be watertight for the road but would be removed for discharge air from the condenser during A/C operation. Propane tanks would then sit out on a custom tray and could be separated just enough to not obstruct the condenser discharge air. Thoughts?