Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #261

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggstatic View Post
I can weld so placing the unit off the rear would not be a problem. We were just wondering if the unit would be a little loud at night. We do sleep in the house with normal fans on at night so some white noise does not bother us. My wife likes it cold at night, so maybe the falling cool straight down on low would be better than trying to get her cool in bed from a front AC location.
Also my generator is located on a pull out drawer in the pickup bed which means the tailgate needs to be down...say for a cool lunch in the trailer...while the truck is still attached to the trailer. This usually requires the tongue jack to be relocated further back which requires the tanks to be back as well.
If you think the inside unit is not much lower than a normal 16 inch inside fan on height then the rear location might be the best. It also might be more campsite noise friendly at the rear. Walkers would not even know it was on.
I have calls out to local suppliers of this brand and I am just getting the results. They range from we will not sell you a unit for self install to a guy the has done several RV...thinks it is a great idea and will sell me the unit or do the install as well! Price is a little scary in Canadian $ at 1,7000 plus tax just for the unit. We will see if anyone comes in cheaper for the unit...
Thanks
Ed
Ed: Did you see my post in this thread with the link to videos with the indoor and outdoor units operating? Here is a direct link: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post157180
Trust me when I tell you that you will not hear the outdoor unit at all when in the trailer. There is also no vibration. You can hardly hear it outside the trailer.

The indoor units are designed to throw the air pretty far. That said, the front actually is perfect for blowing gently back to the bed area. The rear would be fine too with the air blowing over top of you. You do not want cold, high velocity air blowing directly on you anyway. Either way the trailer will be comfortable. The unit has fan settings of Quiet, Low, Medium, High and Auto. You will definitely find a sweet spot for white noise. You can also decide on the throw angle or set it to an automatic up and down sweeping airflow.

Your trailer should come AC ready as standard. If the condenser is going on the rear ask Reace if he can leave the 120V power wire coiled under the fridge and then you can extend it to the outdoor unit. If he won’t do it just intercept it as it goes to the roof and add a junction box to extend out to the unit. This way you can just use the 20 amp breaker already pre-wired and you have no work to do in the power center. The indoor unit is powered from the outdoor with a special 4-wire power and control feed for mini-splits.

As far as the price it looks about right when I convert to USD. I got mine for less only because I have a connection to get equipment at trade cost. These units aren’t cheap, but nice things rarely are.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm really hoping the Noria is successful. I have friends that have supported the KickStarter project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cool-redefined
Looking for an update on the Noria it now appears that availability has slipped from original spring/summer 2017 projection to spring 2018 and retail cost is up from $399 to $499.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #263
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Looking for an update on the Noria it now appears that availability has slipped from original spring/summer 2017 projection to spring 2018 and retail cost is up from $399 to $499.
Haven't heard one word. Anybody? Bueller... Bueller... Bueller
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #264

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I contacted an authorized dealer in Pentiction BC for the said mini split unit and he was very excited to hear what I wanted to do. He has done a few in RVs and portable offices and will sell me the unit. He will also do the complete install as well if someone wants. He is located 1 hour away from where the Escape Rally is held each year and needs at least 7 days lead time to get the unit in stock.
The authorized dealers in Kelowna where I live would not sell me the unit or were less than supportive in the idea.
As my trailer will not be ready to pic up from Escape until after the Rally you will have wait to see it at the 50th Boler event. However I will not be in the generator section and don't know if I will have AC to demo it.
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #265

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
This was posted on October 5. I became interested in this in Spring 2016 and the first production units were scheduled for April 2017. Looks like they are bumped out a year and a half or more.

I've been watching this and the Geo Orbital Wheel for over a year now, I like the idea of the kickstarter campaigns but I don't invest in them, I just watch them.

My motto is "Never fly the A model of anything."

Noria W5 Overcomes Engineering Challenges
Hello again. I’m Kurt Swanson, Noria’s CEO. I’m excited to bring you our October update.

First, I am pleased to tell you that we have reached 5000 BTU and achieved an Energy-Efficient Ratio of more than 11. This is a very big achievement. It was a huge effort to get to this point, and I am very proud of our team, which includes our extremely capable manufacturing partner. You will recall from our updates that the US has some of the most stringent energy efficiency requirements in the world. And small window air conditioners have the toughest standard. Some people didn't believe it was possible to achieve a modern energy efficiency standard in our low profile design, but we love a challenge, and this latest test data proves that it is possible.

We overcame this challenge with Noria team members spending nearly 200 days in China so far in the past year. We worked through six major redesigns with our partners but we achieved our goal and are making the final test unit that will serve as the template for manufacturing as we begin production.

That final test unit uses a prototype motor that will not be commercially available until this December. That will require us to adjust our timetable for delivery of the Noria W5 to you. We will not be shipping units to you in the first quarter of 2018. Instead, we will be testing the W5 in a controlled environment during that time.

We are working as quickly as possible to deliver a safe, reliable air conditioner to you in time for warm weather next summer.

We are disappointed we won’t be sending units to you as quickly originally estimated. We know you might also be disappointed. But our commitment is to get the best possible unit in your hands as soon as it’s available. We will not settle for less and we know you want to have a reliable product that will give you years of cool, quiet relief.

I hope you will share our excitement at resolving some difficult engineering problems. We really are on the last mile of a journey that you helped us start.

We appreciate the interest, patience, and support of so many of you and will continue to keep you up-to-date. Please feel free to email us at contact@noriahome.com with any questions or thoughts. We check that email regularly and will respond as quickly as we can.

Best wishes for a wonderful autumn from the Noria Team
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I contacted an authorized dealer in Pentiction BC for the said mini split unit and he was very excited to hear what I wanted to do. He has done a few in RVs and portable offices and will sell me the unit. He will also do the complete install as well if someone wants. He is located 1 hour away from where the Escape Rally is held each year and needs at least 7 days lead time to get the unit in stock.
The authorized dealers in Kelowna where I live would not sell me the unit or were less than supportive in the idea.
As my trailer will not be ready to pic up from Escape until after the Rally you will have wait to see it at the 50th Boler event. However I will not be in the generator section and don't know if I will have AC to demo it.
Ed: This is exciting. Please post back here on the thread with details as they develop. Make sure the installer knows the intricacies of the job. If he is used to larger RV's where the unit is mounted on it's standard bracket that makes a big difference.

Are you going to approach ETI about doing anything to help assist the install?
For example, my suggestions would be:
-A/C ready which should be standard, but leave 120V wiring coiled up for you to extend to outdoor unit
-Assuming indoor unit recessed at the front like mine, a full cabinet across the front in lieu of standard shelf (ideally with one large opening already sized for the unit). If indoor unit going in the rear then large opening sized for unit provided in standard cabinet.
-Omission of front storage box and batteries furnished inside under passenger side dinette bench (assuming you are furnishing the condenser on the tongue similar to my installation)

If you are thinking about the outdoor unit furnished on the rear instead I am very interested in hearing about the details of how you will approach this.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #267

I will being doing the compete install myself except for the final Vac of the lines and release of the charge. I love doing mods myself so not asking anything of Escape that will cost. A/C and D/C wiring is nothing to me to do...and I like to do it so I know it is done correctly. I will be mounting everything in the same position as your posts. I will be making a custom sealed box under the front drivers side seat that will have ventilation out the bottom for fumes. It will fit 2 removable 12 volt batteries. I like to be able to take one battery out and take it with us for a drive while charging it...that will be another thread. I have taken measurements at the showroom but if it turns out to tight for the bats and piping, one bat will have to go on the passenger side. I am very flexible in the plans at this time...maybe both batteries on the passenger side to offset the black water tank, fridge, furnace, hot water tank, etc
I know you have mentioned getting the full cabinet up front. I am not sure what the problem is with just putting it on the shelf...after all they are ment to be full exposed on a wall. When I was at the Escape showroom I tested the shelf and it felt really strong.
My only concern with the whole project is the factory tubing in these home units stand up to the vibration and movement while mounted on a trailer.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #268

Quote:
I will being doing the compete install myself except for the final Vac of the lines and release of the charge. I love doing mods myself so not asking anything of Escape that will cost. A/C and D/C wiring is nothing to me to do...and I like to do it so I know it is done correctly. I will be mounting everything in the same position as your posts. I will be making a custom sealed box under the front drivers side seat that will have ventilation out the bottom for fumes. It will fit 2 removable 12 volt batteries. I like to be able to take one battery out and take it with us for a drive while charging it...that will be another thread. I have taken measurements at the showroom but if it turns out to tight for the bats and piping, one bat will have to go on the passenger side. I am very flexible in the plans at this time...maybe both batteries on the passenger side to offset the black water tank, fridge, furnace, hot water tank, etc
I know you have mentioned getting the full cabinet up front. I am not sure what the problem is with just putting it on the shelf...after all they are ment to be full exposed on a wall. When I was at the Escape showroom I tested the shelf and it felt really strong.
My only concern with the whole project is the factory tubing in these home units stand up to the vibration and movement while mounted on a trailer.
This sounds great. Good luck with the install. As far as the front shelf, you are correct that it should be fine. My concern was the visual of an exposed drain line and refrigerant lines in the horizontal, but I see the shelf has a substantial lip that would conceal them just fine as they come out low on either side of the indoor unit. You will need to cut a large notch in the shelf lip equal to the width of the unit so that the front edge of the supply air distribution slot is aligned with the edge of the shelf. You can sort of see what I am talking about in my pictures. Also I don't think I mentioned it in my posts, but I put three screws in from the underside of the cabinet just an inch or two back from the front edge. These go up into the front part of the casing to help secure the unit. I also have friction at the sides where my grilles are mounted tight. You may come up with something better, but it is important since the unit is not on the stock bracket. Also, make sure the unit is centered so that the upward opening cabinet doors on each side cabinet will work unimpeded. Mine just barely clear on each side.
Attached Thumbnails
finished look with grilles.jpg   ref lines.jpg   front shelf.jpg  
Old 11-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #269

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Ian is trying to get as many electrical sites at the Ex grounds as is possible. If you book early enough once the registrations come out (could be fairly soon) then you can probably get an electrical site which you may want anyway since mid-August temps in Wpg can be very hot.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #270

Yes there is a good size lip on the front to hide the lines and maybe a metal corner bracket on each end. As you say it will have to be trimmed for the unit to stick out. Thanks for the heads up about the side door clearance...had not thought of that, not having the trailer yet.
I will be keeping a close eye on the powered camp spots for the big 50th Boler event. Even if I have to settle with a 15 amp service...it should run the A/C. After all, this is one of the reasons to go with this unit.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #271

Quote:
I will be keeping a close eye on the powered camp spots for the big 50th Boler event. Even if I have to settle with a 15 amp service...it should run the A/C. After all, this is one of the reasons to go with this unit.
I think you absolutely need to run it. I suspect there are a few people on the forum who will be attending the event and will be interested in seeing this install in person.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #272

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Chances of needing A/C at all in Winnipeg can be hit and miss. Very little chance it would be needed with average high temps that month being 25°C.

I think the idea of hookups there is for those that need it medically. There is a gen set area in case you can't get hookups that would work great for demonstrating your A/C setup.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #273

Thanks Jim for pointing out the Power for medical needs. I must have missed that. Hope Ian makes that real clear so people that need to run their CPAP machines all night get first crack.
I have a great quite Duracell 3200 watt inverter generator with key fob remote start... but we will not be staying in the generator section and using it. Stayed for 4 days at a huge car swap meet in Barrie Ontario and it was pure hell. Surrounded by $400 generators that ran all day while the wives watched tv and sipped coffee.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #274

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Chances of needing A/C at all in Winnipeg can be hit and miss. Very little chance it would be needed with average high temps that month being 25°C.
Sure, but Environment Canada historical records show a high for August 15th (at the airport) of 34.8 °C (in 1998 and 2003)... and an overnight record low of 4.0 °C. You don't know what you're going to get, but if you're ever going to want air conditioning in Winnipeg there's a good chance it will be in August.

I doubt that anywhere in Canada has a monthly average temperature which is high enough to need air conditioning, yet many people seem to find it highly desirable to have. For instance, Calgary has an average daily maximum for August 15th of 22.9 °C (lower than Winnipeg), yet it hit 34.4 °C in 1961, and almost everyone in Calgary has air conditioning in their cars, most public buildings have it, and it's pretty common on RVs based there... including on Escapes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #275

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Sure, but Environment Canada historical records show a high for August 15th (at the airport) of 34.8 °C (in 1998 and 2003)... and an overnight record low of 4.0 °C. You don't know what you're going to get, but if you're ever going to want air conditioning in Winnipeg there's a good chance it will be in August.

I doubt that anywhere in Canada has a monthly average temperature which is high enough to need air conditioning, yet many people seem to find it highly desirable to have. For instance, Calgary has an average daily maximum for August 15th of 22.9 °C (lower than Winnipeg), yet it hit 34.4 °C in 1961, and almost everyone in Calgary has air conditioning in their cars, most public buildings have it, and it's pretty common on RVs based there... including on Escapes.
You will definitely need AC if you travel South in summer . Temps in summer are over 100 even in the mountains . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #276

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You musta missed where I said average, just to give an idea of what to expect.
Quote:
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #277
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The new mini-split heat pump is working so well that we have decided to remove the stock Dometic rooftop unit. The advantages to this are numerous: lower overall trailer height, less drag, less weight, more room for future solar, opening can now be used for passive ventilation/light, overall exterior look/profile and more headroom inside trailer where A/C distribution plenum resides. The unit will be replaced with a Fan-Tastic non-powered vent (no fan) with smoke cover. This should install nicely into the standard 14"x14" rough opening. It appears that ETI cut the headliner quite nicely around the roof opening so the standard trim ring supplied will make a clean installation on the interior.

I'll post some pictures when we do the work in case anyone is interested.

Fan-Tastic Non-powered Roof Vent- Smoke - Dometic 800900 - Vents - Camping World
Was removing the AC hard to do? I'm thinking to remove it and replace with another fan or vent
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #278

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Was removing the AC hard to do? I'm thinking to remove it and replace with another fan or vent
Here's the reverse procedure that Myron did for some ideas.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...self-5733.html
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #279

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
You musta missed where I said average, just to give an idea of what to expect.
No Jim, you must have missed the point that average temperatures everywhere in Canada are too low to need air conditioning, and it is only the hotter-than-average days - which are very likely in mid-August - which are relevant.

I assume that anyone planning to travel to Winnipeg realizes that it's in Canada so the average temperature even in mid-summer won't need A/C.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #280

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Wouldn't median temp give a more accurate picture?