Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2016, 11:54 PM   #131

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700

Lots of work, but the results sound great!

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:10 AM   #132
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Well I agree that the o/h air conditioners are loud and there are more quiet options, my use of the front storage box happens daily whereas the a/c use is sporadic, I just hate giving up that front storage box.....I'm grateful I have air conditioning and heat and running water, a refer with cold beer, and a bathroom. With my tools in the front box, I'm a happy camper.
I'm glad it worked out for you and you are pleased, that is all that matters.....

Old 08-05-2016, 07:38 AM   #133

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
re: "I have procured a 120V 9,000 BTU/H Fujitsu 9RL2 mini-split system at cost through a contractor friend."

No where on the Fujitsu website does it say what this unit costs, excepting mentioning a $600 rebate to contractors. So, how much does it cost to buy one? Assuming that is even possible without having a friend contractor and your personal expertise, and that's the only way to buy one, any idea what's the bottom line?
Old 08-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #134

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Well I agree that the o/h air conditioners are loud and there are more quiet options, my use of the front storage box happens daily whereas the a/c use is sporadic, I just hate giving up that front storage box.....I'm grateful I have air conditioning and heat and running water, a refer with cold beer, and a bathroom. With my tools in the front box, I'm a happy camper.
I'm glad it worked out for you and you are pleased, that is all that matters.....
I realize many have the front box and certainly not advocating removal. Our trailer did not have the front box and we explored getting one through Escape, but it was not practical. We ended up furnishing the Stowaway box on the rear which kept this space available up front after relocating the batteries. If Escape or other manufacturers got creative and worked with an A/C mfr maybe they could come up with a horizontal configuration for the condenser that could be roof mounted. Only penetrations would be refrigerant lines and power and it would still be just as quiet.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
re: "I have procured a 120V 9,000 BTU/H Fujitsu 9RL2 mini-split system at cost through a contractor friend."

No where on the Fujitsu website does it say what this unit costs, excepting mentioning a $600 rebate to contractors. So, how much does it cost to buy one? Assuming that is even possible without having a friend contractor and your personal expertise, and that's the only way to buy one, any idea what's the bottom line?
Myron, I procured the unit "at cost" which was $810 which included a 15' line set from a Johnstone Supply in NJ. With misc parts and startup and all my own labor we are probably around $1,000. I agree that most people may not have a direct connection to equipment, but I have a few suggestions. The Fujitsu residential website has a search for distributors and contractors. There are several Fujitsu distributors in your area. Try them first, but they will likely only sell to someone with a refrigeration license. If you cannot buy it direct I would try calling a contractor in your area (the search showed 13 within 50 miles of you) and discuss if they would consider purchasing the unit for you (with hopefully only a small mark-up). Assuming you are going to install then you could discuss paying them to start up the unit which takes the specialized expertise and equipment. This is kind of uncharted territory because the few I've seen out there have been a DIY, no contractors or trailer places involved with the actual install work. I'm not even sure a contractor would install one on a trailer even if asked because of the custom aspects and may be reluctant to warranty something that is rolling down the road. FYI these types of units are available from some of the big box home improvement stores but they are more expensive (retail markup), cheaply made and not as quiet. I did extensive research and can tell you that the model that I chose is the smallest, quietest unit of any quality mfr that I could find that had models available in 120V.

What we need is a custom installation shop for Escapes (similar to Little House Customs for Casitas) that will tackle some of the more unique modifications that would be out of reach for the typical trailer owner!

http://contractors.fujitsugeneral.com/index.cfm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg distributors near you.JPG (92.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #136

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Great answer, Thanks much. Was guessing a direct buy locally would be $1400 plus tax and a self installation with all the fun and satisfaction that creates. Nice to eliminate the 11,000 btu jet engine currently on my roof but... all things considered might not be cost effective for me. Still.... never say never.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #137
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I found the best pricing online when I was buying a larger unit for my shop to be found here, and never any issues of being a contractor:

Fujitsu 9RL2 - 9k BTU Cooling + Heating - RL2 115V Wall Mounted Air Conditioning System - 16.0 SEER

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I found the best pricing online when I was buying a larger unit for my shop to be found here, and never any issues of being a contractor:

Fujitsu 9RL2 - 9k BTU Cooling + Heating - RL2 115V Wall Mounted Air Conditioning System - 16.0 SEER
Good find! I didn't realize there was any avenue to get the Fujitsu brand besides a supply house. Appears to be free shipping and no sales tax as well. With a 15' line set you are out the door at $1,130.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #139

Video

Wanted to share a video of the indoor unit running for those interested. When the video starts its already running in quiet mode. The trailer is easily cooled on quiet or low so medium and high would only be needed if you wanted to get the temperature down quicker inside the trailer. With any system, cooling too quickly (oversized units) is at the expense of good dehumidification which matters in the more humid climates. To address this the unit has a "dry" mode which operates the fan on low and does the best job dehumidifying. It can remove roughly 1/3 gph of moisture. Note that you cannot hear the outdoor condensing unit at all through the front fiberglass wall and no vibration is transmitted to the trailer frame/body.
Attached Files
Old 08-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #140

Looks like the video isn't working. It was a .mov that compressed to about 36 MB. It appeared to upload just fine. Any suggestions from the forum masters here?