Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 8,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I assume you are not getting the optional front storage box as this unit is adding maybe another 90 lbs to your tongue weight. Plus you will have to relocate the battery someplace.
The outdoor unit is 64 pounds (so adds maybe 55 pounds to the tongue weight) and the inside unit will be further back, so the tongue weight addition would be much less than 90 pounds.

If the battery or batteries are mounted on the tongue in a box or boxes, the outdoor unit could be above them, or to one side. Mount and packaging design will be important.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
The only concern I have is that my son plans on doing a lot of weekend winter camping at the Colorado ski areas and the heat pump gets less efficient as it gets colder, so would it work on really cold nights? The propane heater is still there so it may be a moot issue and with power he could augment with an electric ceramic heater.
The heating side of this is secondary and as you point out can easily be supplemented or not even used at all. The unit can operate in heating mode down to 15F and the rating of 10,000 BTU/H is at 47F, but to your point this capacity likely drops off fast as it gets colder. It would not be considered a primary heat source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Though I can't see sacrificing tongue box space (if you have one) for a/c parts or how transmission lines would enter the cabin, or how an a/c unit fits anywhere in the front cabinets, unless you mean under the seats, I look forward to watching your work. Take pictures.
Tongue box space is a non-issue because the trailer didn't have one and we did a custom installation of a Stowaway box on the rear. The plan is for the lines to come in underneath the trailer into the front dinette storage space and then up the wall behind the corner padding. The unit should fit semi-recessed into our upper front cabinet based on my dimensions. I went with the Fujitsu because it is the smallest available indoor unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I take it you have room on the tongue and have looked into the added weight there.
Says it's 47db, did you check the Dometic?
What the amperage draw? is that what they call MCA?
I'm not claiming this is easy but should have a big payoff. We are likely going to relocate the batteries and move the dual propane back. The unit will sit where the propane does now. The outdoor unit is 65 lbs. So very similar in weight to one Interstate GC2 6V battery. The 47 db is on high. In the quiet and low mode the indoor unit is 23 and 33 db respectively. I've used these at work and they are insanely quiet. The biggest issue with rooftop is the noise level and vibration of the unit with the compressor running. The mini-split with inverter technology only has the compressor running as much as it needs to to meet the load. MCA is listed as 13.5 amps, but this would be the absolute maximum it would be expected to draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Don't know if it'd be the same, but I've heard the down side to using the heating element in the Dometics AC is that you have to run the noisy blower. Would be nice to know how loud the proposed AC is on the inside of the trailer.
With a mini-split you have no compressor noise to deal with and vibration should be dampened with a tongue mount. The inside unit varies from 23 db on "quiet" to 43 db on "high". 4 speeds total. I bought a higher end unit. Some of the cheap ones out there are not as quiet.
__________________

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think it's a great idea, for noise, keeping mass low, and avoiding extra height. When I've looked at the details, my concerns are usually the bulk of the outside unit (but the tongue is a great place for it), the total weight, finding the right size, and of course the cost.

Sorry I don't have any useful suggestions at this point, Dave, but it looks like you have already thought this through. I would be interested in following the project and taking at shot at any detail issues that might be encountered.
Thanks Brian. I was hoping you chimed in because your suggestions helped us get to perfect solution on the rear storage box regarding mounting and departure angle. I will certainly post as I proceed to get some feedback from you and others on this. By the way, I was able to procure this package (at cost) for $810 which includes a 15' line set. This isn't too bad when you consider the Dometic option on the new trailers is $1,100 (installed) and the cheaply made mini-splits available at Home Depot are more expensive. I would love for this to get to the point that Escape would maybe even consider it during a build for customers that know the rooftop is not ideal for them for one reason or another.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 97 Ford Ranger
Posts: 185
Sounds like a really good idea.
I hope it works fantastic for you.
Post some pictures for us when you do it.
The only thought I have is that it might not like the vibrations that occur on a towed trailer. Maybe the Dometics are beefier, I don't know.
So mount it on some rubber mounts so that the metal parts inside don't crack.
__________________
____
John
jxoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Front Range, Colorado
Trailer: Eureka Equinox 6 person tent. (with a broken zipper) 5.0 TA on order July 2017 delivery
Posts: 371
I would love for this to get to the point that Escape would maybe even consider it during a build for customers that know the rooftop is not ideal for them for one reason or another.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I want insulation up there for the really cold nights without hookups.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
The only thought I have is that it might not like the vibrations that occur on a towed trailer. Maybe the Dometics are beefier, I don't know.
So mount it on some rubber mounts so that the metal parts inside don't crack.
Good point. We plan to mount with some heavy duty rubber isolators. The road harshness is another reason why I think the tongue is the best place for the outdoor section. I think the life of the unit would be reduced significantly on the rear.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 6,887
Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The road harshness is another reason why I think the tongue is the best place for the outdoor section. I think the life of the unit would be reduced significantly on the rear.
These type of units are designed for a stationary home installation with no constant bumping or movement. I don't see any technical reasons why you couldn't do it, but the fact that the unit isn't designed for motion might affect the durability.

But, being able to greatly reduce the noise is certainly appealing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't see any technical reasons why you couldn't do it, but the fact that the unit isn't designed for motion might affect the durability.
We are going to see! There are not enough out there in use to know how they hold up long term. I bought a quality unit and have a few HVAC technician friends as insurance.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 8,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
These type of units are designed for a stationary home installation with no constant bumping or movement. I don't see any technical reasons why you couldn't do it, but the fact that the unit isn't designed for motion might affect the durability.
That's a good point, although having looked at the guts of my RV air conditioners it is not obvious that anything has been done to handle road vibration in them.

There are small split 120V AC driven systems used for air conditioning of highway truck cabs, which are obviously suitable for the conditions. It would be interesting to know if there is any difference in the construction of those and of the one Dave has chosen.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 8,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Don't know if it'd be the same, but I've heard the down side to using the heating element in the Dometics AC is that you have to run the noisy blower.
True, but much of the noise problem of the blower is the blower for outside air, rather than the one for inside air...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
As a split unit it inherently fixes the problem that most RV air conditioners have of running both inside and outside fans whenever one is needed, because they are on one motor - the inside and outside fans are in entirely separate units.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.