Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 31 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2022, 03:41 PM   #601

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Hey Dave, Dan or Joel…

I think I’m gonna tackle the mini split on the 5.0 this summer (after a loud weekend in Rockport with A/C!). I’ll probably go with the Pioneer, I’ve put a couple in a cabin on my place. Does anyone have a picture of the penetration through the bottom of the floor under the seat and maybe an outside shot of the same spot? I’m thinking the Rectorseal flex lines mentioned here will give a little vibration safety from the floor to the back unit. Anyone had any more problems with the outside unit and travel vibrations?
Thanks!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:52 PM   #602

Trailer: ‘22 21C
Here ya go Tford, My install is not that old so I can’t attest to any damage due to road vibes. I used the 3’ Rectorseal flexible lines and made the connection outside the trailer, if you want to penetrate the trailer and make the connection inside you would need to order the 6’ lines.
Also used 1/2 thick anti vibration mounts under the compressor.
Our trailer is a 21C, had to move the battery box forward a few inches so it wasn’t so crowded where the lines came in.
Attached Thumbnails
0C650CE6-5AD5-4D79-8296-775A8A8D5E31.jpg   076F304E-B525-42BF-926E-D1A634FAC5DA.jpg  
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:09 PM   #603

Money shot! The 2 Liquatite lines look great! I’m assuming from your inside shot the tan line going down the drivers side in back is the drain and exits on that side as well. Did you chase the electrical up the drain side or the Freon side? I’m assuming drain side since your breaker box is lower drivers side and the 110v was procured there?

Thanks again!
Old 06-03-2022, 06:30 AM   #604

Power from breaker box goes to outside unit, the control cable between the units comes down with condensate line, so both of those lines were fished behind the trim panel at floor to pass side since we don’t have the u shaped dinette.
Good luck, fun project!
Old 06-06-2022, 02:10 PM   #605

A question for Dave/Jake/Joel…did y’all mount your outside unit with bolts that went all the way through your 3” rectangular tubing? I think I can see in your pictures that no gusset/bracket was welded to the rear frame extensions to fasten the compressor feet to…

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2022, 11:31 PM   #606

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
A question for Dave/Jake/Joel…did y’all mount your outside unit with bolts that went all the way through your 3” rectangular tubing? I think I can see in your pictures that no gusset/bracket was welded to the rear frame extensions to fasten the compressor feet to…

Thanks!

No, the anchor bolts for my unit only screwed down into the top of the tubing. This is the product I used and it has been doing great. https://www.mcmaster.com/4403K633/
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:28 AM   #607

Gotcha! I reckon someone drilled and tapped the tube! Thanks!
Old 06-08-2022, 04:13 PM   #608

Well here we go! The mini split is on the way, picked up a 10’ stick of 3x2 channel to add to the back bumper for the compressor mount yesterday……and started on rough opening demo for the air handler today. 5.0 rear upper cabinet location. Slow and steady as you cut pieces out to fit the air handler dimensions and if you decide to tackle this-get an oscillating saw, it makes this part of the whole thing very easy! I was very careful with removing the paneling and trim pieces so I could possibly use them as a template for a replacement piece to put the speakers back up. I may even think about putting the speakers IN little cabinet doors on each side that open sideways, it’ll save a little cubby back in there. Here’s some demo picts. What I’m starting with without the main cabinet door or speakers; framework cut out but not removed; and finished rough opening. (Kind of cool that you can see the original owners name on the cabinet)
Attached Thumbnails
4300AD62-E5AE-47D1-BCAD-305131189C21.jpg   B2A69133-69A9-4F87-9559-1D623D60CB4F.jpg   4D40E116-0B31-4297-A96C-C960BFA0456E.jpg  
Old 06-08-2022, 04:29 PM   #609

Then it was on to carefully removing the paneling. Removed both side cabinet doors along with both side top roofline trim strips (they just screw in with the screw covers and are a GREAT wedged in fit from the factory!), as well as the two small square vertical trim strips that are just pin nailed in. Label stuff! Then SLOWLY wedged out the paneling with a sharp putty knife sliding in behind it and a small pry bar to wedge out the staples. There’s plenty of glue in there too. The result was a good roofline/side template for another piece of paneling I can fit in with a little backing to support the speakers again or possible make little cabinet doors.
Look at the side with top and side square trim removed; looking inside the cabinet as paneling is pried off; the carefully pulled out paneling piece we’ll use as a template for new paneling; and the whole rough opening. (sorry the first couple picts are turned)
Attached Thumbnails
FF962F84-40B6-4251-BF11-E45594595E04.jpg   DE727912-7BDF-4379-85E0-6896755433D5.jpg   40027A30-BC6B-47D4-93D1-79B7BF32A214.jpg   45444FBC-6616-4BA6-BF95-83D752CBAF65.jpg  
Old 06-26-2022, 07:03 PM   #610

Update on our 21C/ Fujitsu 9000 install, camped a few days last week on a local lake with temps during the day right at 100. In full Sun camper stayed right at temp set, 72 degrees and didn’t seem to be laboring at all.
I just wanted to bring attention to the way I mounted the outside unit. If you look at the pic the two feet on the non compressor side are deflecting a bit due to the way I mounted it to individual pads. These are spot welded to the main case and are cantilevered from the mounting bolt and were looking like they could fail. To correct this I cut two 14” pieces of 2 1/4” by 3/16” steel to go under the feet on top of the rubber mounts to simulate a flat surface. Interesting the base on the compressor side is one solid piece, not two individual mounts?
Attached Thumbnails
A8C81CC1-7609-4346-88C9-D78551A75E43.jpg  
Old 06-28-2022, 12:21 PM   #611

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
Update on our 21C/ Fujitsu 9000 install, camped a few days last week on a local lake with temps during the day right at 100. In full Sun camper stayed right at temp set, 72 degrees and didn’t seem to be laboring at all.
Glad hear it is working well. A nice thing about the Fujitsu and other mini-splits is they are AHRI certified. This ensures you are getting an advertised capacity based on test conditions. I'm not sure what requirements there are for RV rooftop air conditioners, if any.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:33 PM   #612

Should there be another picture here? Not seeing the fix or the problem….
Old 07-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #613

Here’s a pic after I slid the 2- pieces of 3/16 steel under the feet. The problem was the weight of the unit wasn’t directly over the mounting pads causing the two feet on the non compressor side to bend a bit, was afraid the spot welds could break over time. The compressor side is ok , instead of two individual feet there is one long stamping.
Attached Thumbnails
D24C2E37-096D-4192-925E-CC4CB1A0C857.jpg  
Old 07-02-2022, 06:38 PM   #614

Ah! Great idea! Thanks!
Old 07-04-2022, 02:10 PM   #615

Trailer: 2018 GD 2150RB (fiberglass in the future)
Wow what a detailed thread Ive spent hours reading though all this.

I'm hoping to pick some brains. The Fujitsu unit mentioned throughout this thread is quite cost prohibitive.

There are a couple of other units with higher (alleged) SEER and good reviews. Anything wrong with or reason not to go with one of these units?

4:1 mini split with smart controls (it's important to me to be ae to remotely monitor the unit) and allegedly operates down to 5f and 21.5 SEER

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjH4-vj79_4AhWPH60GHaRZAUsYABAIGgJwdg&ae=2&sig=AOD64_2K 1Z6l2Unj81-IwE3st42JtVH-_Q&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjd6-Dj79_4AhV4KkQIHdUWBWAQwg8oAHoECAEQFA&nis=8&dct=1&a durl=

Wifi enabled, 19 SEER and reported to work to -5

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiZ59jJ8d_4AhUXIK0GHQZtBB4YABAM GgJwdg&ae=2&sig=AOD64_0SmjNJHBficZRX9DMkB5n34_oNKg &ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiq4sfJ8d_4AhVWJ0QIHVFjAIYQw g8oAHoECAEQCw&nis=8&dct=1&adurl=

22 SEER and -13f temp rating (the most expensive but my leading candidate at this point)

https://www.pioneerminisplit.com/products/pioneer-diamante-ultra-9-000-btu-115v-ductless-mini-split-inverter-wifi-enabled-air-conditioner-heat-pump-full-set-with-16-ft-kit?variant=40106281599018&currency=USD&utm_medium =product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_or ganic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn4qWB hCvARIsAFNAMijXQ6sSkKkVJ_RY_l7-XFO62Hjnr1azKq7Hh5Tp7QZ18T-dMYCDTCQaAk0aEALw_wcB
Thisismyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 02:40 PM   #616

If you're still willing to give subject matter expertise I'm curious about the following.

I think the general consensus is the RV Rooftop ACs are grossly oversized, the 2150RB (I know I know not a fiberglass, a fiberglass is my next choice down the road a bit, this forum is just so helpful, please don't kick me out) comes with a 15k unit. The interior dimensions are not available anywhere but rough numbers reported somewhere between 260 and 350 sq/ft. Let's call it 300. It also has a "cold weather package" with more insulation and higher claimed R vaules than similar TT.

Most of the 9000 BTU unit's sate they'll cool around 400 sq/ft with 8' ceilings. The trailer is around 6.75-7' ceiling

The escape thread mentioned above was a detailed thread Ive spent hours reading though all this.

The Fujitsu unit mentioned throughout this thread is quite cost prohibitive.

There are a couple of other units with higher (alleged) SEER and good reviews. Anything wrong with or reason not to go with one of these units?
Ideally I'd run with a more closely size matched unit to ensure adequate dehumidification and lower operating power so maybe one day I can run off battery/solar.

4:1 mini split with smart controls (it's important to me to be ae to remotely monitor the unit) and allegedly operates down to 5f and 21.5 SEER

https://senville.com/9000-btu-mini-s...ner-senl-09cd/

Wifi enabled, 19 SEER and reported to work to -5

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...8&dct=1&adurl=

22 SEER and -13f temp rating (the most expensive but my leading candidate at this point)

https://www.pioneerminisplit.com/pro...QaAk0aEALw_wcB
Old 07-04-2022, 05:52 PM   #617

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisismyusername View Post
The Fujitsu unit mentioned throughout this thread is quite cost prohibitive.

When looking for a unit suitable for the Escape application, I urge that you pay particularly close attention to the interior air-handler you will be mounting in the overhead cabinet.

The size, shape, return air location/clearances, cool air discharge vent configuration, and filter access are all factors which can be more or less 'friendly' with regard to effecting a functional, neat, and attractive installation in the OH cabinet space particular to our application.

IMO the configuration details of the Fujitsu 9/12RL2 lend particularly well to a neat and least-obtrusive installation with minimal projection beyond the cabinet face.

That's not to say others may not work, perhaps integrating into the cabinet even as well, but don't make the mistake of assuming that. The differences among units on the market can be subtle but very meaningful in this regard; careful study and attention to detail is warranted. Recognize that these units are invariably intended for installation on the face of a wall with relatively unfettered access all around; that's obviously not our situation; many require access and clearance to swing-open a 'top-oriented hatch' for filter access that would be impossible when installed inside our OH cabinet, for example.

It can be a challenge to find detailed dimensioned drawings of the interior component for some brands/models. IMO that's required for making good pre-purchase design / installation detail decisions. Personally I would not risk purchase of a unit for which I could not find that IMO required detailed and accurate drawing, I would not rely on the 'nominal dimensions' provided in typical promotional texts.

Though I have not looked at the specific units you mention, I have looked at a number of others in comparison to the Fujitsu and found all of them significantly 'wanting' with regard to how that part of the installation which I will be looking at day-in-day-out even when not using the AC will affect the interior appearance of my trailer.

Attached FYI is only one of several Fujitsu resources I referenced and but one example of the many 'studies' I've conducted in regard to this issue.

Your opinion and/or aesthetic taste / priority may vary of course, mine is offered just for your consideration, Have Fun!
In not commenting on them I'm not discounting or ignoring the other factors you mention, but for me the installed aesthetics are a very high-ranking priority among the inevitable compromises one must make in this project (no solution is ideal in every respect); again, YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
ESCAPE MINISPLIT EXAMPLES.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01 FUJITSU DRAWING INSIDE.pdf (479.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-04-2022, 07:28 PM   #618

Quote:

https://www.pioneerminisplit.com/pro...QaAk0aEALw_wcB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
.... many require access and clearance to swing-open a 'top-oriented hatch' for filter access that would be impossible when installed inside our OH cabinet, for example.
.... For example, take a look at the top-loading filter access requirement on page 21 of the manual for that Pioneer unit here.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:32 PM   #619

@Centex Great info to ponder all around. You make a good point about clearances. Some manufacturers do post minimum clearances. Some around 3-4" tops. I don't have a fiberglass (next TT will be) yet so I'm working with a bit more space than the above installs. (I think).

I was creeping on this forum because of all the tons of hours I've put into forum and YouTube research this is the best resource by far.

Here's the space I'm working with above the bed (will inset into those cabinets) and the floor plan.

For reference the cabinets are 94" across and the doors are 8.5" tall. I don't have the total cabinet height handy but with the curved ceiling I'll pick up more clearance.

I'll have the ability to bring lines up though the pass though under the bed and up through the closets. Though I highly prefer the corner padding options I've seen on the escape installs.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220704-142616_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20220704-142814_Gallery.jpg  
Old 07-04-2022, 07:39 PM   #620

Quote:
I don't have a fiberglass (next TT will be) yet so I'm working with a bit more space than the above installs. (I think).
Fair enuf, my mistake for missing that in your original post, your displayed sidebar trailer info "2018 21" is easily confused with an Escape model in the context of this forum, please update that to provide better disclosure of what you have.

And good luck with your project!