Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2016, 06:10 AM   #41
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 12,585
I'm just thinking about that weight and the stress it may be exerting on the rest of the cabinets as well as the exterior shell? Hopefully it will work after being towed for a couple of thousand miles. Great initiative and good luck.
__________________

__________________
Jim
I am too young to feel this damn old!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm just thinking about that weight and the stress it may be exerting on the rest of the cabinets as well as the exterior shell? Hopefully it will work after being towed for a couple of thousand miles. Great initiative and good luck.

Just what I was thinking. If you haven't already you might look into reinforcing the cabinet to shell mount as well as the strength of the cabinet bottom.
__________________

__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Is there any need for air circulation in the cabinet space? I assume that the intake and exhaust are entirely exposed.

How about the remaining space - any creative idea for making use of that? Maybe a drop-down rack for something...
No circulation is needed as part of unit operation as the cabinet isn't acting like a plenum. The return is on the top and starts to get blocked only slightly at the back of the unit due to the shell curvature, but not enough to be worried about. I was thinking more along the lines of not wanting dead space at the sides of the unit for risk of condensation during certain times of the year.

I need to think more about this. A convenient way to leverage the side spaces would be nice, but I thought little doors would look funny
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm just thinking about that weight and the stress it may be exerting on the rest of the cabinets as well as the exterior shell? Hopefully it will work after being towed for a couple of thousand miles. Great initiative and good luck.
It shouldn't be an issue. The stock configuration is only a shelf at the front anyway. The cabinet was an added option during the build. It is still very solid and the indoor unit is only 16 lbs.

...and for the majority out there that likely haven't dissected a cabinet in their trailer I can tell you they are very solidly constructed. I even had a Sawzall on it at one point.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 2,218
Those ETI elves are a crafty crew; their foreman goes by the nom de guerre Elfis
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,369
Just for giggles I checked the db level in the trailer with the Dometic, 65ish on low, 68/70ish on high.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Just for giggles I checked the db level in the trailer with the Dometic, 65ish on low, 68/70ish on high.
Compare that to 23 on quiet and 43 on high with two other intermediate speeds on the indoor unit and you know why I'm doing all this! Outdoor unit is 47 but you won't hear that in the trailer. You could sleep next to the outdoor unit on the mini-split and it is quieter than the Dometic overhead.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Compare that to 23 on quiet and 43 on high with two other intermediate speeds on the indoor unit and you know why I'm doing all this! Outdoor unit is 47 but you won't hear that in the trailer. You could sleep next to the outdoor unit on the mini-split and it is quieter than the Dometic overhead.
sometimes that loud AC might come in handy, drowns out the sound of the bear trying to paw his way thru the door or window...

interesting project though...looking forward to pics!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 1,926
Good work so far and an interesting mod. I'm very interested to see the outside setup and the plumbing.
We typically try to stay in 70 degrees, so AC running has not been a big problem in our trailers to date. On the new 19 with the integrated digital thermostat and the fan shutting off when it reaches temperature even less noticeable. As we move closer to retirement hopefully we should be more capable of sustaining 70 degree environments.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #50
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 12,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Good work so far and an interesting mod. I'm very interested to see the outside setup and the plumbing.
We typically try to stay in 70 degrees, so AC running has not been a big problem in our trailers to date. On the new 19 with the integrated digital thermostat and the fan shutting off when it reaches temperature even less noticeable. As we move closer to retirement hopefully we should be more capable of sustaining 70 degree environments.
Here you go.....Cross-country road trip at a constant 70 degrees | FlowingData
__________________

__________________
Jim
I am too young to feel this damn old!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.