Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #101

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
More pics

I will post a succession of pics for those following this mod. Can't seem to post multiple photos. You will see we decided to do a custom aluminum mounting plate back against the trailer wall and leave the propane mounted out front. This location protects the unit and is more aesthetically pleasing. If needed we will remove a propane bottle when running to allow better airflow, but it will probably be fine. We sandwiched rubber anti-vibration pads and bolted through to absorb some road shock and minimize vibration to the frame when unit is operating. In the the other pictures you will see the drain and power wire running down the curb side front corner and the insulated refrigerant lines running down the street side front corner. All the inside work is now complete. All it needs is final terminations on the outside unit and a startup (evacuation of lines with vacuum pump and releasing the refrigerant that comes pre-charged in the condenser).
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #102

Shot from curb side
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 10:35 PM   #103

Shot from street side
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 10:36 PM   #104

Shot of anti-vibration mount
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 10:38 PM   #105

Close-up of mounting plate...notice it needs brackets at the back to compensate for the downward curvature of the frame
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 10:40 PM   #106

Drain and power/control wire down curb side corner. Get covered with corner pad pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 10:43 PM   #107

Refrigerant piping down the street side. Also gets covered with pad. It bulges out from the wall a little bit, but small price to pay.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 10:48 PM   #108

Refrigerant line set , 120V power and interconnection power/control lines leaving through floor of street side dinette seat near the other factory penetrations. They roll out and go very cleanly up to the outdoor unit on the tongue.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 11:54 PM   #109

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The outdoor unit looks like it belongs there, and those corner pads (which Escape uses because the liner material wouldn't fit the interior shape otherwise) are certainly handy!

The rubber isolating mounts look like a good idea... as long as it doesn't tilt forward and backward with the accelerations and decelerations of travel. I don't know how stiff they are.

That's a substantial plate of aluminum. I don't know if I could stand to hand over the price of that, but it will certainly protect the bottom of the unit and provides a solid mounting platform. Dave, have you considered a lip along the front edge to protect the unit from stray stones off the road?

With the outdoor unit behind the propane tanks, is the plan still to add a removable cover for travel?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:33 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The outdoor unit looks like it belongs there, and those corner pads (which Escape uses because the liner material wouldn't fit the interior shape otherwise) are certainly handy!

The rubber isolating mounts look like a good idea... as long as it doesn't tilt forward and backward with the accelerations and decelerations of travel. I don't know how stiff they are.

That's a substantial plate of aluminum. I don't know if I could stand to hand over the price of that, but it will certainly protect the bottom of the unit and provides a solid mounting platform. Dave, have you considered a lip along the front edge to protect the unit from stray stones off the road?

With the outdoor unit behind the propane tanks, is the plan still to add a removable cover for travel?
The vibration pads are pretty stiff so the unit can't rock too much, but soft enough to absorb vibration. The bolts are not completely tightened down super tight as they have jam nuts on the underside. We will probably use a strap around the unit during travel for good measure and take some stress off the mounting points.

We had thought about a tray configuration for the mounting plate with low sides, but determined it to be way overkill. We are still exploring a cover of some sort. Might be fabric or the customized 30 lb propane tank cover I spoke of previously, but it is less of an issue now since it is much more protected than out front, especially when the propane tanks have their cover on.

Thanks for all of your insight.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #111

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The battery vent cover will probably allow some water to enter with rain hitting it and the air pushing the water up and into the openings. Perhaps a "U" loop inside with a drain hose thru the floor to allow any water to escape.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:55 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The battery vent cover will probably allow some water to enter with rain hitting it and the air pushing the water up and into the openings. Perhaps a "U" loop inside with a drain hose thru the floor to allow any water to escape.
I agree the mounting location on front is not ideal. I wanted to get it as high as possible and out the side would not work due to the dinette seat framing. Maybe I can tee a drain into the line for the A/C which is right below and already through the floor.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #113

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another option is utilizing your snap on covers and installing a vent in the cover below this one, should allow ventilation and prevent water.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #114

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
another option is utilizing your snap on covers and installing a vent in the cover below this one, should allow ventilation and prevent water....

That's what I was thinking. All your work is totally exceptional!
Old 07-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #115

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Close-up of mounting plate...notice it needs brackets at the back to compensate for the downward curvature of the frame
curious...is that downward curvature of the frame unique to early models or is it typical of all recent model year frames also?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:20 PM   #116

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Great work! I wonder if folks when they see your trailer will now think the Escape is made by Fujitsu...
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:42 PM   #117

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
curious...is that downward curvature of the frame unique to early models or is it typical of all recent model year frames also?
Early 19s had a 3" frame, recent ones a 4" frame that is straight.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #118
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Early 19s had a 3" frame, recent ones a 4" frame that is straight.

Ron
That brings up a good point. Dave, has your 19's A frame been reinforced where the rails turn toward the tongue? I know Reace did a recall on the 3" frames some time ago.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #119

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
The double curve - the rails of the tongue bend up as they come out from under the body and then back to level to join at the coupler - is used to bring the coupler up to the desired height, above the height of rest of the frame. Since frame height depends on model and year, the curve isn't always needed. The original 17' Escape had the curve, then later when the suspension was raised it didn't, then because tow vehicles were getting taller they started including the curve again. I don't know if all years of 19' have it; I don't think any year of 21' has the curve.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:42 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That brings up a good point. Dave, has your 19's A frame been reinforced where the rails turn toward the tongue? I know Reace did a recall on the 3" frames some time ago.
Yes, it has been welded as per the recall. The steel channel appears about a 1/4" thick when you look where it joins under the coupler. It's amazing there would have ever been any issue with the frame. Probably done out of an abundance of caution.