Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2016, 11:37 PM   #141

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Looks like the video isn't working. It was a .mov that compressed to about 36 MB. It appeared to upload just fine. Any suggestions from the forum masters here?
Yes, post the actual video on YouTube then post the link to it here. I am looking forward to seeing the video.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 AM   #142

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Looks like the video isn't working. It was a .mov that compressed to about 36 MB. It appeared to upload just fine. Any suggestions from the forum masters here?
I see an error message when I push the play button:
Quote:
Video not found or access denied:
http:// videos.oogala.com/show_video.php?sitename=localhost&do=cdn_vido&pubk ey=...
While the EscapeForum page presents the player as an Attached File, the content appears to be a player (JW Player, which is a Flash Player) which is looking for content on a third-party server to which I don't have access. I didn't attempt to transcribe the entire URL for testing in another window (which has a massive key string in it), and I wouldn't be able to anyway because the player controls bar obscures a line of the URL in the message.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #143
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Yes, post the actual video on YouTube then post the link to it here. I am looking forward to seeing the video.

Steve
Best solution.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #144

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Last night was one of those nights. Which is easier? To sleep with the stifling heat/humidity or the noise of the A/C. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #145

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... Last night was one of those nights. Which is easier? To sleep with the stifling heat/humidity or the noise of the A/C. Alf
Alf, What was the barometric reading on wifey's face?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #146

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Alf, What was the barometric reading on wifey's face?
Hi: Steve Clark... Hot... getting cooler by morning!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #147

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is a similar set up in Europe, a little more compact and portable Cool My Camper - Air Conditioning For Caravans and Motorhomes
Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #148
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here is a similar set up in Europe, a little more compact and portable Cool My Camper - Air Conditioning For Caravans and Motorhomes
Quite a novel idea. Much simpler except for needing awning-style windows to hang it.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #149
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I don't see many similarities other than the split unit. It's a portable small AC unit designed for open window use. Way different from a permanent, custom and in my opinion "ingenious" install.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:15 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't see many similarities other than the split unit. It's a portable small AC unit designed for open window use.
It's designed for the window to be closed on the hanging bracket and the hoses... which is why the relatively flat hose. I think it's a clever design, but of course Dave's larger unit and custom installation is much more capable and much more valuable.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #151

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not sure about the cost, but it uses Hitachi compressors and only pulls 350 watts, so solar is an option for use. Also very lightweight....
Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #152

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Finally got to posting two videos of the new AC unit in operation. I realized I should have also run the Dometic overhead for perspective, but I think you'll get the idea that it is super quiet.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCRqH4W-MD1R4nHj84Exw_iw
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #153
Site Team

Quote:
Finally got to posting two videos of the new AC unit in operation. I realized I should have also run the Dometic overhead for perspective, but I think you'll get the idea that it is super quiet.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCRqH4W-MD1R4nHj84Exw_iw
Remarkably quiet - even on high.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Remarkably quiet - even on high.
The beauty is that it only needs to run on quiet or low to cool the trailer in full sun on a hot (90F) day. It hasn't really been discussed, but the stock overhead 11,000 BTU unit is oversized for these smaller trailers, especially with a constant speed compressor. To avoid short cycling, provide better dehumidification and quieter operation a smaller unit with variable speed compressor technology would likely serve people better. I'm curious as to why these advancements have not gotten incorporated into the overhead units. My number one guess would be cost.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #155
Site Team

I think you're right about the cost, but like anything else, the more it's adopted, the lower the price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #156

Quote:
It hasn't really been discussed, but the stock overhead 11,000 BTU unit is oversized for these smaller trailers, especially with a constant speed compressor. To avoid short cycling, provide better dehumidification and quieter operation a smaller unit with variable speed compressor technology would likely serve people better. I'm curious as to why these advancements have not gotten incorporated into the overhead units. My number one guess would be cost.
I don't think any manufacturer of air conditioners for RVs cares about the small fraction for the market for which an 11,000 BTU/hr unit is oversized. I agree that both better sizing and more sophisticated technology would serve the end consumer better, but I strongly agree that what stops those advancements is cost.

It would be hard for RV dealers to sell every customer on the idea that they should pay more because the trailer has an air conditioner with a variable-speed compressor, and it would be impractical to stock trailers with both the base A/C unit and the premium version... and trailers spend a long time in dealer inventory, so what needs to be stocked is important. Of course, that's mostly about the rest of the RV industry, but no one is making components specifically for low-volume producers such as Escape Trailer Industries.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It would be hard for RV dealers to sell every customer on the idea that they should pay more because the trailer has an air conditioner with a variable-speed compressor, and it would be impractical to stock trailers with both the base A/C unit and the premium version...
I agree, but seasoned buyers would probably jump at the opportunity for a quieter A/C for the relatively small incremental cost when buying a new trailer. Especially those in hotter climates that run the A/C regularly and can't stand the noise. Even newbies listening to the "base A/C" and "premium version" in succession on the same trailer on the dealers lot could probably be easily convinced. Once the industry caught on and costs came down, all RV's would have the premium units and the others would go the way of the typewriter.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #158

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I don't think the sound of the air conditioner is half as offensive as that of generators. I really get offended by the fact that they are on the side opposite where the owners sit.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #159

Winnebago sold their motorhomes with a one-unit (not split) air conditioning system mounted under the floor, which they called True Air Residential Central Air Conditioning. It was quieter (according to both Winnebago and owners), and didn't stick up high on the roof. One unit handled a large Class A motorhome, which required two units when rooftop air conditioners were used, and it used less power. They dropped it because they ran out of room under the floor, and now use conventional rooftop units; however, they kept the TrueAir name, and call it TrueAir® Maximum Comfort A/C. The old system wasn't split, and probably wasn't variable-speed, but it was a better and quieter system... and being better wasn't enough to keep in in production.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I don't think the sound of the air conditioner is half as offensive as that of generators. I really get offended by the fact that they are on the side opposite where the owners sit.
I agree and can attest to a tenting trip disturbed by a Class A rig that rolled out a construction generator. The good news is this A/C mod has sound benefits both inside and outside the trailer regardless of power source.