Custom Upholstery & Formica - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Custom Upholstery & Formica

We are soooooo looking forward to our new Escape 19. We'd like to customize the upholstery & Formica, but when I dragged my sweetie out to look at fabric it was painfully obvious that interior design is just not his thing. We stopped on the way home to look at a Honda 2000I Generator and to pick up his favorite IPA so he's happy, but I am wondering if anyone has photos of customized cushions & countertops to give us(me) some ideas of what others have done. Thank you!
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #2

Re: Custom Upholstery & Formica

Glenrose, we went with blue formica and navy blue seat cushions, and like how it turned out. We just went to Home Depot, where we narrowed down the formica to 2-3 options, and then went to the local fabric store and looked see what at outdoor canvas looked best with it. We chose a striped canvas accent for the valences.

Table is currently in the garage getting a coat of varnish on the underside, will take a picture and post it when it is back in place.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander

I will post some pictures of "The Lark" on Friday. Lindy talked to a friend who sells fabric, and she suggested chenille for the upholstery. It is both soft and durable. We were able to find a pattern that is blue & brown (matches the shades well), and then went with brazilian brown formica, which is much like the standard formica, but more blue than green. The fabric was on close out, so it was pretty inexpensive, and as everyone has said, Tammy and Reace are super easy to work with.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #4

Thanks - those sound like really nice ideas. I'll look forward to the pictures.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

We chose yellow-green Formica on the counter, white Formica on the table, striped cushions of Sunbrella fabric in blues and greens, and a blue mattress cover of Sunbrella fabric. I've also made pillow shams from the striped fabric. The result is far from the standard RV look, but we get really favorable comments about how cheerful our interior is. See pictures here -- Kibitka.blogspot.com
Old 07-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #6

Wow rvomaha - fantastic photos of every single cabinet in the 19! Thanks for the link (Kibitka.blogspot.com)

We took David's idea and went to Home Depot. After depositing Glenn in the generator department I went and collected 23 samples of formica (not the suggested 2 or 3... As Glenn says: indecision may or may not be my greatest weakness.)

Then we went to a different fabric store that has a Starbucks beside it (another Glenn plant.) Without my ever well-meaning Sweetie by my side I was able to fairly quickly zero in on two potential candidates. So I hurried back to Starbucks to grab my faithful supporter, grande in hand, to help make the final decision. The salesperson let us take the bolt of fabric home on approval, but by the time we got home I was so in love with it that we knew we'd found what we'd hoped for.

It's a gentle forest-ferny kind of print in muted soft greens, grays and rose colours. Perfect for us. We've narrowed down the formica to an unexpected but lovely dark gray colour that just begs to be paired with the fabric. One is solid "painted screen" and the other is swirly "earth wash." We'll probably wait for our next visit to Chilliwack to make the final decision on the counters.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. It really did help - so glad for this forum.

Rosemary
Old 09-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #7

Update on our choices:

We visited the factory with our bolt of fabric and formica samples in hand. That was a REALLY good idea; the fabric was great but once we were in the trailer, the counter samples took on a life of their own; we ended up choosing a completely different one than we expected - terra tundra - it just seemed to pull all the colours together nicely.

One note: while we were at the factory with the fabric we had two other couples politely admiring our choice, but marvelling at the colours on the reverse side. I didn't think much about it until we got a call from Tammy saying the cushion upholsterer wanted to know which side we wanted. Hmmmm. I wonder if that could mean we could have had reversible cushion covers...? Maybe if there is some left over fabric we could make some toss
pillows with the reverse side

« ModMyRV.com | TVs »