Cutting board frame over stovetop - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Cutting board frame over stovetop

Hey folks, here's some pictures of a very long-term project we had going on here. Neither of us are woodworkers, so it's not 100% perfect, but that's okay. There was a serious fail the first time I glued the pieces together and Dirk had to fix it for me. There are brackets on the inside to hold it together as there was a bit of a gap in a few places. As well as a lip underneath the board itself. It fits perfectly around the stovetop.

Anyway, it's all done and on top of the stovetop and I just love it. I can't wait to use it. Two months till my next booked outing in the trailer! Yay!

When I sit on the dinette and use a TV tray/folding table (not the ETI installed ones on the sides of the dinette) I plan on putting the laptop on top of the cover. Already tested that out!

The wood came from Rockler. Coats of shellac brought out the reddish purple color. The cutting board was custom ordered. The company doesn't offer this particular blue as a regular offering, however it's custom ordered by another customer in large quantities in the 3/4" thick size. When I was told that, I thought "okay, that's fine as I love the color" (and it matches the screw covers I installed).

Well, I never realized how heavy it would be. Just the cutting board alone is 7#. The entire thing is 13#. Including the nifty handles. Yep, could really wallop someone over the head with it if need be.

Anyone notice those handles looking familiar? Yep, they match the cabinet door handles that ETI installs. I wrote to them, asking to purchase 4 and Reace very nicely replied and said they were "his treat" and he'd mail them out to me. Yay! The handles are really needed on this thing and I'm thrilled they match the cabinet handles (which I really liked already). I'm thrilled Reace treated me to them.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00574.jpg   DSC00575.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
The cutting board came from this company:

https://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/
Old 01-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I like it. Good job. We will eventually replace the ETI supplied cover, but for now it's fine.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Neither of us are woodworkers, so it's not 100% perfect, but that's okay. There was a serious fail the first time I glued the pieces together and Dirk had to fix it for me. There are brackets on the inside to hold it together as there was a bit of a gap in a few places. As well as a lip underneath the board itself. It fits perfectly around the stovetop.

When I sit on the dinette and use a TV tray/folding table (not the ETI installed ones on the sides of the dinette) I plan on putting the laptop on top of the cover. Already tested that out!
Show me a person who's never made a mistake and I'll show you a person who's never made anything. It's not that experienced people don't make mistakes, they're just better at making them go away.

Not sure how that works with the TV tray.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Not sure how that works with the TV tray.

Ron
We don't have the table installed in our u-shaped dinette. When I'm eating alone or crafting (coloring in rubber stamped images) I sit at a folding TV tray. I can set the laptop on top of the new cutting board & frame and I'll be able to watch my DVDs easily enough. I won't have to turn my body slightly, which is what I'd have to do if I set the laptop up on the folding counter/table installed by ETI on the sides of the dinette walls (which is what I use if someone else eats with me). Here's a picture of it set up for eating. (well, turned towards the camera so you can see the nifty cat-themed placemat!)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05378.jpg  
Old 01-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
As someone who proclaims to love cats, I don't understand why you don't have any cat themed stuff in there
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
As someone who proclaims to love cats, I don't understand why you don't have any cat themed stuff in there
I think you need new glasses.

I did let a dog visit for a while. OMG, start the presses. Shocking news!