Detachable shore power cord/plug - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #1

Trailer: No RV for now.
Detachable shore power cord/plug

Thanks to Eric T. for this idea! (detachable shore power cord/plug) We are so glad we found out about this on the forum and then saw one on an Escape at the factory a couple of weeks ago. What a great idea! We have always had to make sure no mice came in at that entry point; living in a rural area and of course, camping in some places, we have wanted to avoid having uninvited house guests in our trailer! This is our favorite alteration so far! A close second would be the gas/electric hot water tank. It is great being able to plug in and save on gas when possible.
The forum is such a great resource! Thanks to all!
Linda
Old 10-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Re: Detachable shore power cord/plug

I really enjoy mine.

Dick
Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi:All...Does anyone have any pic's of their mod.? What brand of fittings did you use? I am thinking of converting our 5.0 and adding a permanently wired serge protector inside the trailer. We had a platoon of earwigs using our trailer without permission, and their marching path in was via the power cord. I had to "RAID" the baracks Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #4

After hearing about this on the forum, Pete 'Googled' and found lots of info and pics. We had a parade of ants come up our cord in an RV we had years ago. It's also an entry for mice. That's we were so glad to hear about this option from Eric T and then we saw a new Escape at the factory with the plug installed! Our 19ft. is still just an idea at this point. Completion date is February.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Dirk put one on his trailer a couple years ago, I remember. It is something I have been thinking about doing too. The biggest issue I have with the way it is now, is that it can tangle with stuff under the bed when you push it back in. It sure would have to be real ting bugs to get in with the cover closed the way it is now, there is next to no space around the cable.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Jim Bennett...So far the only thing the power cord snagged was the battery cut off switch. After hand cranking the landing gear for what seemed an eternity...I remembered the last time there was no 12V. I dug around in the utility bunker and discovered the problem!!! I installed a guard over the switch, essentially a conduit strap, so no more accidental power interuptions.
I also added a sticky bug trap beside the water heater in case the "Creepy Crawlies" get up the power cord...AGAIN!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Linda
Thanks to Eric T. for this idea! (detachable shore power cord/plug) We are so glad we found out about this on the forum and then saw one on an Escape at the factory a couple of weeks ago. What a great idea! We have always had to make sure no mice came in at that entry point; living in a rural area and of course, camping in some places, we have wanted to avoid having uninvited house guests in our trailer! This is our favorite alteration so far! A close second would be the gas/electric hot water tank. It is great being able to plug in and save on gas when possible.
The forum is such a great resource! Thanks to all!
Linda
The ironic thing is I ended up going with the standard cord. I got freaked out that I would forget or lose the special cord and be stuck with no shore power....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #8

Eric........Oh, well! Thanks for the tip, though! Obviously, a shore plug can be added after market if this becomes a problem. After battling millions of tiny ants (from a campground!), we were very relieved to hear about this! We lived in an Airstream years ago while building a house and mice could definitely get through the tiniest hole imaginable! Pete made it difficult for them by putting tin foil around the cord and also putting a plastic lid (sliced) around the cord. We take a small container of Borax powder with us when we camp, also. If we spot ants, we sprinkle a line of the powder around the trailer and they don't cross it. One session with these little ant critters is all we cared to have!
Old 10-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Linda
Eric........Oh, well! Thanks for the tip, though! Obviously, a shore plug can be added after market if this becomes a problem. After battling millions of tiny ants (from a campground!), we were very relieved to hear about this! We lived in an Airstream years ago while building a house and mice could definitely get through the tiniest hole imaginable! Pete made it difficult for them by putting tin foil around the cord and also putting a plastic lid (sliced) around the cord. We take a small container of Borax powder with us when we camp, also. If we spot ants, we sprinkle a line of the powder around the trailer and they don't cross it. One session with these little ant critters is all we cared to have!
Linda - we sure know about mice out here in the boondocks. Since we got home from the Porkies, we have caught six of them in traps around the house. And our house is really tight. Someone said they only need a 1/4" space to squeeze through....... its hopeless! LOL

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Re: Detachable shore power cord/plug - Photos or details please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi:All...Does anyone have any pic's of their mod.? What brand of fittings did you use? I am thinking of converting our 5.0 and adding a permanently wired serge protector inside the trailer. We had a platoon of earwigs using our trailer without permission, and their marching path in was via the power cord. I had to "RAID" the baracks Alf
I'd also like to see a photo or two. I did this modification on my U-haul with a 30A twist-loc power inlet from Marinco
http://www.marinco.com/product/30a-s...rv-power-inlet

I probably would not have done it on THAT trailer if I knew that in addition to the $50 inlet I'd be buying a $60 power cord and a $50 20A adapter for use at home. But I am very glad I have it.

The thing I don't know is how the holes line up on the Escape and whether it's a big deal. Your experience is appreciated even if you don't have photos!