dicor slider/springfield pedestal questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
dicor slider/springfield pedestal questions

so I've recieved my Dicor slider (THANKS STEVE!) and I'm looking at it and trying to picture how this assembles.

I'm assuming you need to mount the slider on top of the pedestal and under the table top, with the slider clamps on the bottom? in that case, I can't see how it works... (goes out, looks at pieces again)

ok, I guess I'm seeing it, the top plate on the Springfield has to be trimmed down to fit between the rails of the dicor. the table top attaches directly to the two 'sparkly' slide pieces. so the brackets that attach to the pedestal top, should they be above or below the pedestal top plate? (more poking around), ok, I guess they have to go above the pedestal top plate, or the plate and bolts would stick up into the bottom of the table top.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I mounted under the top leg of the rail to allow full bearing of the slide to the table. 2 1/2 years later, we are still living this combo.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I mounted under the top leg of the rail to allow full bearing of the slide to the table. 2 1/2 years later, we are still living this combo.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. but its hot here today, and I get kinda dumb in hot weather.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
The Springfield platform is 12" X 12". You need to cut down one side to 8". In the picture below my 8" width side is front to rear. Using a Skil saw as it is aluminum take 2" off the side towards the back of trailer then 2" off the side towards the front.
Attached Thumbnails
20190724_143149.jpg  
Old 07-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #5

When you drill the holes to attach the slider to the pedestal top mark where your holes will be on the Springfield top then remove slider to drill so shavings don't get in the track.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #6

Finally, when attaching the two small screws holding the corners of the slider to the table top us a little glue so they won't fall out.
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The Springfield platform is 12" X 12". You need to cut down one side to 8". In the picture below my 8" width side is front to rear. Using a Skil saw as it is aluminum take 4" off the side towards the back of trailer then 4" off the side towards the front.
I'm assuming you mean take 2" off the front and back sides

otherwise you'd only be left with 4 inches which I doubt would work ;-p

what sort of blade in the skilsaw? never used one to cut aluminum, I was trying to decide between a hacksaw (painfully slow) and my 4.5" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #8

In the picture i posted you can see a rectangle vs. a square for the Springfield top. That rectangle is 12" X 8". And oops, you are right. Just goes to show measure twice cut twice!

I took the Springfield to my local fabricator and after looking at it just grabbed a Skilsaw with a standard blade for cutting wood and made short work of it. Aluminum is soft.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:12 PM   #9
Site Team

phew, loud, messy, but yup, my ryobi battery powered 5" saw with a carbide blade went right through that. probably should have clamped a guidebar down but the cut was straight enough.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #10
Site Team

so..... platform base... I need 4" of rise. I have a nice sheet of 1/2" baltic/russian birch ply I could use as the top of said platform riser, but not sure what is the best way to support and trim this.

I'm not very good at cabinet work, but I do have a router table that I've practiced a few things on, and I have a skilsaw, and drill press, but no table saw or anything.

I do NOT want to relocate the power center, which is right at floor level, so I'm thinking my riser base will just go partway across and have a 45 degree bevel cut on the corner where the power center is?

use 2x4's on edge for support? or 3.5" strips of the 1/2" ply, attached to the top sheet with screws ?

or, maybe I shouldn't use this birch ply at all, and instead get some formica laminate plywood countertop material, maybe that would be a better flooring surface? aluminum trim strips on the edges to hide my joints ?

for securing this to the floor, I was toying with using aluminum angle channel, screw that to the floor and then screw my riser pieces to that ?

Old 07-25-2019, 04:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
so I've recieved my Dicor slider (THANKS STEVE!) and I'm looking at it and trying to picture how this assembles.

I'm assuming you need to mount the slider on top of the pedestal and under the table top, with the slider clamps on the bottom? in that case, I can't see how it works... (goes out, looks at pieces again)

ok, I guess I'm seeing it, the top plate on the Springfield has to be trimmed down to fit between the rails of the dicor. the table top attaches directly to the two 'sparkly' slide pieces. so the brackets that attach to the pedestal top, should they be above or below the pedestal top plate? (more poking around), ok, I guess they have to go above the pedestal top plate, or the plate and bolts would stick up into the bottom of the table top.

Is that piece of paper in the photo the included instructions and if so anyway you can take a picture of it? Mine arrived also (Thanks Steve!) but I did not see any instructions. If anyone needs instructions, it will be me.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Is that piece of paper in the photo the included instructions and if so anyway you can take a picture of it? Mine arrived also (Thanks Steve!) but I did not see any instructions. If anyone needs instructions, it will be me.
that was the sheet that came with the Springfield pedestal. didn't say much.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Grateful for this thread as our 4Way slider just arrived but I haven't unboxed it yet. Thanks Steve for ordering these and thanks to others for posting comments and photos of the install.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Think I'd add another run of the 2x4 down the center, the weight of the table and pedestal might bow the 1/2" after a bit.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Dicor has arrived and I don't understand either.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #16

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
so..... platform base... I need 4" of rise.
Why do you need a 4" rise?
Old 07-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #17

I used stakes used when setting forms for concrete and placed them on edge. Much lighter than 2 x 4. Moving the WFCO converter isn't a big deal and the only wire I had to lengthen was the ground.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
Dicor has arrived and I don't understand either.
look at my 2nd picture on post #10, http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post299557

thats an underside view of the slider mounted on the springfield pedestal, with the tabletop mounted on it.

I am still sorting out what I'm going to do about the base, as with my 2014 E21 U shaped dinette, I need to raise it almost 4" so the tabletop is the same height or slightly higher fully raised, and fully compressed the tabletop just sits at the 'bed' height.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
Why do you need a 4" rise?
Gen1 21 trailers have a flat floor throughout, whereas Gen2 dinette are raised. The Springfield won't give the rise needed at full extension for Gen1 trailers.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
In that case I'd wonder if you need the 4" because your feet also don't rest comfortably on the floor or just to adjust the pedestal height.

If it's just to get the right height then I'd be tempted to make, maybe a hexagonal base, the right height and just a little larger in width than the diameter of the base. Make the vertical sides from oak. Lets you keep the majority of the floor flat.

One negative of the style that you propose is that it makes quite a dirt trap in a hard to reach area.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote