digital thermostat - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
digital thermostat

Has anyone replaced the Atwood Hydroflame thermostat with a digital thermostat? If so, could you tell me what kind of thermostat you used, and how it worked? bonus points if you were able to make it work with the A/C as well.

Here's why I am interested. Lindy and I went camping in Northern MN last week. We had a great time. Beautiful days, and cool nights which also means no bugs. But we did have a hard time regulating the temperature of the trailer at night (temps in the low to mid 30's fahrenheit). We can't really tell what temperature we are setting the furnace to, and so we guess how far to move the lever on the bottom. Eventually we are too warm, and then move it to far the other way. We both believe that if we could set the T-stat to about 63 degrees we would all sleep comfortably.

So I did a bit of looking around at thermostats. It looks like there are two options. first, one could buy a digital thermostat that is designed to work with a 24 volt system. In this case, it needs to be a thermostat that uses batteries to run the display. There are some instructions here: http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/14/rv-digital-thermostat

The other option, which is much more expensive, is to buy a digital thermostat that is designed for 12 volt systems.

I don't need any sort of programability since the trailer heats up very quickly in the morning.

Thanks for any advice.

Leon
Old 09-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Re: digital thermostat

I do not mean to hijack your thread as I do not have an answer to your request, only taking the opportunity to add more to the thermostat question. Why is the thermostat limited to a low temperature of 50 degrees? We have kept quite warm in the upper 20's F without heat, certainly we would have been more comfortable having it a bit warmer.

Being able to go below 50 F would mean less noise, electricity use should drop and as we are often boondocking that is maybe the most important reason. Will a digital unit solve that problem?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #3

Trailer: No more Escape 21

This link maybe want you need. . .

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...__1#entry83105
Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Unfortunately you need to be a member of CasitaForum to view the thread. This is what's recommended there: Hunter 42999B digital thermostat

Here's the text and remember this is about a Casita: go buy the Hunter 42999B digital thermostat from Wal-Mart, ACE, True Value or internet and switch it out. Just two wires to move from stock thermostat to new one. When utilizing one of the existing mounting holes from old thermostat you will only need to drill one new hole to mount new thermostat.

The digital will give you better temperature control and will minimize temperature swing. You will find that the furnace will not cycle on and off as much with the new thermostat.

They also make one with remote control (42996) that allows you to turn up the heat by two degree increments.

I installed the remote model and love it; I can turn up the heat before getting out of bed on those cold mornings!

I believe the lowest temp setting the Hunter Digital can be set too is 45 degrees. I'm going by memory so don't hold me to that.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I have a dometic digital thermostat hooked up to my heater, reace was unable to wire it to a/c prior to delivery. he said there is a needed harness for the a/c to work also. but with the heater, there is a 1 degree swing and it goes down to 40 degrees. works great
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander

Thanks everyone. Donna, you are just a font of wisdom and good advice! I am always happy to see your posts.

I found this thermostat online: http://www.amazon.com/RTH1100B-Horiz...words=RTH1100B

It looks like this should be pretty straight-forward, but probably won't control the A/C. As near as I can figure, modifying the AC to work with a thermostat, especially one that controlled the fan speed, would be beyond my abilities.

I will let you know how it all goes.

Leon
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Can that Hunter model read out in Celsius, or just in American? I see the Honeywell one Leon linked to does for sure.

I am keen on putting in a digital thermostat, as the one supplied is real hard to read, especially mounted around the corner by the bed. A good location, but a hard one to read the scale from the side.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote