Dimensions Request of 5.0 TA, electric standing desk - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
How big is that battery and what’s it weigh?
As far as I have seen, no one has salvaged modules from the Tesla Model 3 yet, so "Tesla battery module" always means the one from the Model S / X (which are the same thing in two body variants). There are different capacities of Model S/X module (due to a different number of cells in them), but they're all externally the same size. The size and shape is really awkward for most applications, since it is designed specifically to fit in a box under the floor of this one design of car.

These are the specs from a retailer who sells a lot of salvaged Tesla stuff:
Quote:
Capacity: 232Ah, 5.3kWh
Height: 3.1 Inches
Width: 11.9 Inches
Length: 26.2 Inches
Weight: 55 Pounds
Bolt Size: M8
Voltage nominal: 3.8V/Cell, 22.8V/Module
Charge voltage cut-off: 4.2V/Cell, 25.2V/Module
Discharging cut-off: 3.3V/Cell, 19.8/Module
Maximum Discharging Current (10 sec.):750 Amps
This module contains 444 cells (each of the 18650 size, which means 18 mm diameter by 65.0 mm long), 74 in parallel in each of six sets in series. Earlier lower-capacity modules had only 384 cells but still six-in-series, so they have less capacity, the same voltages, and less weight (in the same size of box). The latest "100" model modules have 516 cells, so they have more capacity and weight... still the same voltage and box. The dimensions - including weight - are for the bare module without the required (for safety) metallic enclosure or supporting structure.

These modules can be mounted flat (as in the car), with either side up, or on edge, but in either case they need a supporting frame... you can't safely literally stack them directly on each other. They are also designed for liquid cooling, and the weights and dimensions don't include any of the plumbing.

The car uses (depending on option chosen) 14 or 16 of these modules, all connected to each other in series. An RV application of these modules is already at the 'wrong' voltage (not roughly 12 volts), so there are two ways to double capacity with two modules:
  1. in series, to make a (nominally) 232 Ah @ 45.6 V bank (requiring "48 V" to "12 V" conversion and "48 V" chargers), or
  2. in parallel, to make a (nominally) 464 Ah @ 22.8 V bank (with the "24 V" equipment).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #22

Trailer: escape 5.0ta
Thanks Chotch for the dimensions!

Yes unfortunately it doesn't look like ETI will delete a bench for me. So plan b is you mount the 55lb battery on the back wall on the bottom(will probably re-enforce that section). Then I'll have wiring running into the battery compartment that will host my inverter, charge controller, etc. There should be plenty of space as I'm told that it will be empty if I don't opt for the lead acid batteries.

I will be using a Jarvis Electric standing desk that's 60"x30", with a cutout that will be 26" at the deepest point. I'll stand the desk against the back wall. Since the desk supports 350lbs I figure that will do nicely for a visitor to sleep on at it's lowest height position of 24".

Link to desk: https://www.fully.com/standing-desks...sk-bamboo.html

So my only concern now is the space I'll have to maneuver in a chair. Standing will work perfectly(I'm 6 feet tall). But with a chair with only 35" between the benches it will be a bit tight(but manageable). The bigger concern is the space from the desk to the kitchen area where there's a drop in the floor. I'll have to search for a comfortable chair with a very small footprint, or think about extending the raised floor at least somewhat into the kitchen area.

Regards,
soaring360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaring360 View Post
... mount the 55lb battery on the back wall on the bottom(will probably re-enforce that section).
Does this mean on edge, against the back wall? I don't see any need to reinforce the wall, because I wouldn't attach the battery to the wall anyway - just fasten the mounting frame for the Tesla module and the enclosure (which you need to build for it) to the floor, which will have no problem handling the weight (which is comparable to a single large 12V or typical 6V lead-acid battery). If you want to avoid wide feet on the floor, you could support it on the floor and run a brace across the top to the legs of the desk, rather than bracing it against the wall.

If you do really want to brace it to the wall, as long as the weight is carried by the floor, tying into whatever Escape bonds to the wall for the bench should do, rather than messing further with the wall structure.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I don’t think so🤨

Quote:
Thanks Chotch for the dimensions!

Yes unfortunately it doesn't look like ETI will delete a bench for me. So plan b is you mount the 55lb battery on the back wall on the bottom(will probably re-enforce that section). Then I'll have wiring running into the battery compartment that will host my inverter, charge controller, etc. There should be plenty of space as I'm told that it will be empty if I don't opt for the lead acid batteries.

I will be using a Jarvis Electric standing desk that's 60"x30", with a cutout that will be 26" at the deepest point. I'll stand the desk against the back wall. Since the desk supports 350lbs I figure that will do nicely for a visitor to sleep on at it's lowest height position of 24".

Link to desk: https://www.fully.com/standing-desks...sk-bamboo.html

So my only concern now is the space I'll have to maneuver in a chair. Standing will work perfectly(I'm 6 feet tall). But with a chair with only 35" between the benches it will be a bit tight(but manageable). The bigger concern is the space from the desk to the kitchen area where there's a drop in the floor. I'll have to search for a comfortable chair with a very small footprint, or think about extending the raised floor at least somewhat into the kitchen area.

Regards,
Have you actually ever been in an Escape? If not I strongly suggest you make a point of checking one out. We absolutely love our 5.0 TA, but if I where looking for a traveling office it’s the last trailer I would even consider.
🤔If you extend the raised floor it will interfere with the lower cabinets on the fridge side. If you actually think someone is going to sleep in the dinette area where does the chair go? For that matter where would anyone sit besides the chair? We travel with a big dog and believe me he takes up more space than you’d think. Can’t imagine trying to work around any type of office chair or even my shop stool which I put in to get an idea of the space it would take up.
I think if I really needed a standup desk I would look into modifying my Lagun table mount for a little more height and totally forget the chair.
Attached Thumbnails
5AF2EB93-DAB6-44AF-B537-507FEFE3A3E6a.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
We absolutely love our 5.0 TA, but if I where looking for a traveling office it’s the last trailer I would even consider.
The last? What about a teardrop, or a 13' boler? I told you a million times to stop exaggerating.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The last? What about a teardrop, or a 13' boler? I told you a million times to stop exaggerating.
😂 And yet again you’re right........
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #27

Trailer: none yet
Quote:
I'll have to search for a comfortable chair with a very small footprint,

I'm a little late here but I have a stool very similar to this one (might be this exact one) for my standing desk and I love it:
https://tinyurl.com/ycyprsgk
carinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:40 PM   #28

Trailer: escape 5.0ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Except that a Jim has “only” 240W. To add 800W will be a feat of engineering on a 5.0TA. I hope there is a post if this is done. With that much solar and a 2500W inverter I’d be able to run my mini-split A/C!
Do you have a post about your mini-split ac setup? I'm interested
soaring360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Do you have a post about your mini-split ac setup
? I'm interested
I have done one on an older Classic 19 (2010) and a brand new 21 (2019)
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ofit-8249.html