Dinette options for a 17A - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Dinette options for a 17A

There have been a number of discussions lately on dinette options -- the U-shaped dinette for a 19, Ruthe's question below about options for the 5th wheel, a post over on fiberglassrv about a new boler reproduction which showed a couple of office-type chairs and a small round table between them.

This has me wondering about options for the dinette in the 17A (which is the direction I'm currently leaning for our hopefully-soon-to-be-ordered trailer)...

What have people had done to their dinettes in the 17A? Have you seen anything that struck you as an outstanding idea?

I like the notion in that boler reproduction: a couple of comfortable chairs with a decent table between them. Trading the ability to convert the dinette to a bed (we might never do that) for more comfortable seating (we'd appreciate this every trip) strikes us as a good tradeoff.

So, given that we're willing to do away with a bed option here, what possibilities open up? Could we get comfortable seating for 4, when we want to invite others in for a game or a drink? Or maybe only seating for 2, but enough room for full lazyboy recliners (with heat and massage, of course!)...

What restrictions do we face? Is there anything built in under those dinette seats that can't be put elsewhere?

Can somebody who has purchased a recent 17A measure the rear dinette and tell me the width and length? I understand from Tammy that the layouts and specifications on the escape website are a little out of date, so if I want to explore possibilities, some updated numbers would be good to work with.

Thanks, all!

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The only thing you need to worry about is resale. That kind of change can be a big deal to a prospective owner because they look at what is standard in the trailer and they want those things. We have seen people leave out the shower or toilet, for instance, and when they went to resell, the trailer was not sold for some time.

Many people want that extra bed area option if ever needed. You might even need it for times you may have not considered such as a person being sick.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
There have been a number of discussions lately on dinette options -- the U-shaped dinette for a 19, Ruthe's question below about options for the 5th wheel, a post over on fiberglassrv about a new boler reproduction which showed a couple of office-type chairs and a small round table between them.

This has me wondering about options for the dinette in the 17A (which is the direction I'm currently leaning for our hopefully-soon-to-be-ordered trailer)...

What have people had done to their dinettes in the 17A? Have you seen anything that struck you as an outstanding idea?

You have to remember that some things can't be removed because they add to the structural integrity of the trailer ..........

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

Trailer: Looking for 15b
I did see an Escape 17 for sale in south Idaho a year or two ago that had what you are describing at one end. Really open with a small table and 2 office chairs. Their chairs actually weren't attached so they had to bungee them for travel but maybe the Escape folks will remember making that one.
They had permanent bunk beds at the other end, unconventional lay out but worked for them.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I'm not too concerned about resale, since I don't plan to sell the trailer for some time to come. I don't *think* the dinette seats are structural, though I could certainly be wrong about that. I'm more concerned that they normally hold a hot water tank or something similar that has to go there.

I will talk to Tammy and Rease when the time comes, but that's not yet... Just throwing ideas around at this point.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I just sold a Lazy Daze motorhome that had a fold up table and 2 moveable, unattached swivel chairs instead of a conventional dinette.

At first I wished they'd been attached like other rv's but quickly learned to appreciate the flexibility of being able to move them around and out of the way. We had a sofa across from the dinette and used the chairs to put our feet on.
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote