dinette table with legs that are not attached to the trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Posts: 351
dinette table with legs that are not attached to the trailer

Some of the R-Pods I've seen, and other RVs/trailers have tables that aren't connected to the floor. The tables have legs that can be folded up, and the table can be moved around.

There seem to be several advantages:

- ability to shift or rotate the table easily for getting into or out of the seating space
- ability to move the table outside and use it like a picnic table [this is my favorite]
- ability to completely remove the table to get better access to the storage below (this is only a benefit compared to trailers with permanently attached tables)

The potential disadvantage might be stability, but it's not like the current table is particularly stable.

I was curious if anyone had attempted something similar in an Escape? If so, did you like it, and what hardware did you use?
__________________

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Some of the R-Pods I've seen, and other RVs/trailers have tables that aren't connected to the floor. The tables have legs that can be folded up, and the table can be moved around.

There seem to be several advantages:

- ability to shift or rotate the table easily for getting into or out of the seating space
- ability to move the table outside and use it like a picnic table [this is my favorite]
- ability to completely remove the table to get better access to the storage below (this is only a benefit compared to trailers with permanently attached tables)

The potential disadvantage might be stability, but it's not like the current table is particularly stable.

I was curious if anyone had attempted something similar in an Escape? If so, did you like it, and what hardware did you use?
you mean something like this?
AP Products Table Hinge Bracket Kit - Supports & Brackets - Table - Hardware
also the Lagun is nice if there is a bulkhead or something strong to attach it to..in an Escape you might have to provide something strong to attach it to...saw the Lagun in a teardrop T&G Outback and it was nice, and also the plywood facing and framing of the seats to which it was attached...very strong!
https://www.marineteak.co.uk/lagun-a...ing-system-331
currently planning on these,the Springfield, or even a custom design...definitely NOT the std ETI table pedestal mount.
__________________

freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
you mean something like this?
AP Products Table Hinge Bracket Kit - Supports & Brackets - Table - Hardware
also the Lagun is nice if there is a bulkhead or something strong to attach it to..saw it in a teardrop T&G Outback with it and it was nice
https://www.marineteak.co.uk/lagun-a...ing-system-331
currently planning on these,the Springfield, or even a custom design...definitely NOT the std ETI table pedestal mount.
Actually, I mean not connected in any way to any part of the trailer. The legs would fold up against the underside of the table. When the legs were folded down the would stand on the floor.

Like this:

http://www.custom-rv.com/rpod178dinette.html
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A -- "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
This is what ETI has used in the 17 for a long time. We like it.
Works great.
__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
In Orbe Terrum Non Visi / RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Actually, I mean not connected in any way to any part of the trailer. The legs would fold up against the underside of the table. When the legs were folded down the would stand on the floor.

Like this:

Custom RV Inc.
missed that requirement...perhaps an anti-grav table...
lots of folding tables out there..but the table top might need to be changed for the exact dimension you need if it must also be a bed.
this camper has considered a custom frame and it doesn't need to attach to the trailer (but could)...it's a bit complicated to explain as it exists in 3D CAD only at this point, but considering it for a 19...would probably work in most Escape's
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 4,277
Table frame

Paul
R V Surplus. Elkhart Indiana
Snap 2 Folding Table Base. Find the website, Bring up full catalog
Type in table base
$69.00
I picked ours up at the brick and mortar store to save shipping as I was in the area on the Indiana toll road coming back from camping in SE Ohio three years ago. Then my brother and I built a custom sized table for the 19. Works well. We have used it outside too under the awning especially when dining outside when it is buggy and we have the screen room deployed. Could have used the original table but I needed a new router and some bits. Bought our " Formica" at Lowes same color as rest of our
Escape. Will post pictures.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
techfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Longview, WA, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Paul
R V Surplus. Elkhart Indiana
Snap 2 Folding Table Base. Find the website, Bring up full catalog
Type in table base
$69.00
I picked ours up at the brick and mortar store to save shipping as I was in the area on the Indiana toll road coming back from camping in SE Ohio three years ago. Then my brother and I built a custom sized table for the 19. Works well. We have used it outside too under the awning especially when dining outside when it is buggy and we have the screen room deployed. Could have used the original table but I needed a new router and some bits. Bought our " Formica" at Lowes same color as rest of our
Escape. Will post pictures.
Dave
Our 2013 has it and pictures posted under Latest Mods. Ian also has one in his Boler and his 19. Here is a link:

Latest Mods
__________________
Tim and Julie
2013 Escape 15B
2014 Nissan Frontier, Previous 2012 Santa Fe
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Paul
R V Surplus. Elkhart Indiana
Snap 2 Folding Table Base. Find the website, Bring up full catalog
Type in table base
$69.00
I picked ours up at the brick and mortar store to save shipping as I was in the area on the Indiana toll road coming back from camping in SE Ohio three years ago. Then my brother and I built a custom sized table for the 19. Works well. We have used it outside too under the awning especially when dining outside when it is buggy and we have the screen room deployed. Could have used the original table but I needed a new router and some bits. Bought our " Formica" at Lowes same color as rest of our
Escape. Will post pictures.
Dave
Thanks! I'm reading about it on other forums now. Seems like people complain about the wobbliness, but then again people also complain about almost every other RV table. I think this might be a good trade off to get something that can be moved outside. I was looking at getting a separate aluminum table for outside, but having a dual use item like this is a great way to increase storage space for other things. It's also nice that it isn't expensive, so I could try it out to see how I like it.

I think this might be the same table that R-Pod uses. Some people seem to add L-brackets to increase the stability.

On the plus side, if I decide to keep it, someone on this forum will be the lucky recipient of one of the last available Dicor 4 way sliders with Springfield pestle already attached.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
techfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Longview, WA, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Thanks! I'm reading about it on other forums now. Seems like people complain about the wobbliness, but then again people also complain about almost every other RV table. I think this might be a good trade off to get something that can be moved outside. I was looking at getting a separate aluminum table for outside, but having a dual use item like this is a great way to increase storage space for other things. It's also nice that it isn't expensive, so I could try it out to see how I like it.

I think this might be the same table that R-Pod uses. Some people seem to add L-brackets to increase the stability.

On the plus side, if I decide to keep it, someone on this forum will be the lucky recipient of one of the last available Dicor 4 way sliders with Springfield pestle already attached.
I replaced the rivets with bolts and lock nuts. Gives ability to tighten.
__________________
Tim and Julie
2013 Escape 15B
2014 Nissan Frontier, Previous 2012 Santa Fe
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 4,277
There are levelers on the corners of the support legs. They just had a single nut on the threaded foot and it would work loose. So I pulled the endcaps out and put an inner and outer nut on them and once leveled. Put the wrench to them so they would not easily loosen. No more wobbly for us. I removed the aluminum table base and put the screws back in the holes. Then we put a mat down to cushion the table legs and cover the screws and make the floor more comfortable for the dog and me when we do something bad��.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Posts: 351
I found a video:

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ljswany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Posts: 119
Paulk - I want your Dicor slide if it's available! PM me!
__________________
Linda

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
Paulk - I want your Dicor slide if it's available! PM me!
I'll let you know if they become available. It might be a few weeks or months. Since the Dicor slider can't be purchased anymore, I'll want to make very sure that this removable table is something that works for us.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Ljswany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Posts: 119
Sounds good to me! We are thinking we'll visit ETI in Chiliwack and then participate in the customer appreciation event in May. Perhaps we'll see you there? Want to explore all opportunities out there to learn about our 19 footer before submitting our Build Sheet. See you recently picked up a 17 footer. How exciting! Wish we had ours for this camping season but it'll be another year for us. Just keep me in mind when you make your final decision on the slider.
__________________
Linda

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 ordered
Posts: 207
Cant find the Snap2 in Canada. It appears that the RV Surplus does not ship here and I'm really wanting to go this route. Want something more convenient then the standard and potentially use outside the trailer as well. Not really interested in the pnuematic pedestal types. Any help appreciated.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Cant find the Snap2 in Canada. It appears that the RV Surplus does not ship here and I'm really wanting to go this route. Want something more convenient then the standard and potentially use outside the trailer as well. Not really interested in the pnuematic pedestal types. Any help appreciated.
Odd. They say on their website:

"This product may cost up to $50.00, or more, to ship via UPS Ground, or UPS Standard to Canada."

V-40 - SNAP 2 Folding Table Base - Price: $69.00 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327

Perhaps you just need to talk to the right person and point the above out.

I ordered one of these tables yesterday, but to the USA.

The pneumatic ones are nice, especially with a slide. As far as I can tell, the only real drawback is that they can't be moved outside like this table. One thing that I thought might be nice was the ability to remove the table to access the area under the seats, but in fact there isn't any easy place to put the table inside the trailer, so you only get that benefit if you're willing to move it all the way outside or put it on top of the opposite seat. I think the pedestal with slide tends to be easier for accessing under the seats since you can move it out of the way sufficiently.

As an alternative, if you aren't space constrained, there are also fold up tables, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-51892-A.../dp/B00JGJGQ9A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
We are thinking we'll visit ETI in Chiliwack and then participate in the customer appreciation event in May. Perhaps we'll see you there?
There is a good chance we'll be there, and there is also a good chance I'll have decided by then about the Springfield/Dicor. I'll let you know.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Missoula, Montana
Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Cant find the Snap2 in Canada. It appears that the RV Surplus does not ship here and I'm really wanting to go this route. Want something more convenient then the standard and potentially use outside the trailer as well. Not really interested in the pnuematic pedestal types. Any help appreciated.
We're going to be at the Rally in Osoyoos. If you want to have one shipped to Montana, we can bring it with us.

Klaus
__________________
2018 Escape 19: Last Best Escape
2015 Escape 19 (previous): Escape Goats
2011 Escape 17 (previous): SittEscape

Honda Pilot 2011
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
techfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Longview, WA, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Cant find the Snap2 in Canada. It appears that the RV Surplus does not ship here and I'm really wanting to go this route. Want something more convenient then the standard and potentially use outside the trailer as well. Not really interested in the pnuematic pedestal types. Any help appreciated.
Ian in Calgary had his shipped I'm pretty sure. Write to him at his "Proud Canadian" website.
__________________
Tim and Julie
2013 Escape 15B
2014 Nissan Frontier, Previous 2012 Santa Fe
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 ordered
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Odd. They say on their website:

"This product may cost up to $50.00, or more, to ship via UPS Ground, or UPS Standard to Canada."

V-40 - SNAP 2 Folding Table Base - Price: $69.00 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327

Perhaps you just need to talk to the right person and point the above out.

I ordered one of these tables yesterday, but to the USA.

The pneumatic ones are nice, especially with a slide. As far as I can tell, the only real drawback is that they can't be moved outside like this table. One thing that I thought might be nice was the ability to remove the table to access the area under the seats, but in fact there isn't any easy place to put the table inside the trailer, so you only get that benefit if you're willing to move it all the way outside or put it on top of the opposite seat. I think the pedestal with slide tends to be easier for accessing under the seats since you can move it out of the way sufficiently.

As an alternative, if you aren't space constrained, there are also fold up tables, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-51892-A.../dp/B00JGJGQ9A



There is a good chance we'll be there, and there is also a good chance I'll have decided by then about the Springfield/Dicor. I'll let you know.
Maybe i need to navigate their site a little but when I click on your link, it took me directly to the attachment. When I clicked on the Shipping Policy, it stated,

"UNFORTUNATELY- WE DO NOT SHIP TO CANADA OR OVER SEA'S!"

Sorry for the all caps, copied and pasted from the site
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Maybe i need to navigate their site a little but when I click on your link, it took me directly to the attachment. When I clicked on the Shipping Policy, it stated,

"UNFORTUNATELY- WE DO NOT SHIP TO CANADA OR OVER SEA'S!"

Sorry for the all caps, copied and pasted from the site
Try calling them. They're one of those companies that picks up the phone.
__________________

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×