Dinette to office conversion? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Dinette to office conversion?

We are considering remodelling the dinette area of our Escape 19. We find the seats and table very uncomfortable and we never need the bed option. What we do need is comfortable seating for two along with a combo of eating and desk space/office storage.

Would love opinions on something like the attached photo! Of course, we'd do this ourselves so it would be a lot more sleek and built in.

We understand that we will need to work around the tanks/electrical that are under the existing driver's side seat now.
Attached Thumbnails
dinecomp1_2273_detail.jpg  
CamanoCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The space is much longer side-to-side across the trailer (78.75" in the current model according to the floorplan) than it is front-to-back along the trailer (44"). To me, that means that you would have the two seating positions facing each other across the trailer.

Since there wouldn't be enough trailer width unless the curb-side seat is on top of or replacing the original dinette bench, I assume that you would need to use a comfortable seat without a pedestal or legs, mounted on top of the original bench or a replacement. Something intended for a boat would likely work. Again according to the floorplan dimensions, the current bench is 19" high. That's too tall to add a seat on top, so I would plan on removing the original bench entirely, and building a lower structural box just high enough to clear the black waste tank and electrical components. An alternative might be to use the original bench but add a raised floor section so that the seat surface is a suitable height above the floor.

The seat on the curb side could be floor-standing, or mounted on a box (storage!) and matching the driver's side. If floor-standing it could even be free-standing, but would need a convenient strap to secure it while towing.

I would want the seats to be able to pivot to some extent, to directly face each other for dining or desk use, to angle into the trailer for lounging, or even to angle toward the front window a bit if watching something out the window. It's hard to imagine enough space for both to recline, but maybe one (presumably the curb side) could recline... but it would need to slide away from the wall when doing that.

I assume that the table in the example shown does not fold but slides partially under the rest of the desk when the entire surface is not needed; whatever that one does you may want to fold or partially retract the table when not dining or working at the desk... especially if the surface over the storage (which would run across the front of the trailer) remains as a side table. The "modified" and "executive" table versions in the Country Craftsman computer desk line use slides instead of two legs for the table, making more storage available and reducing or elminating table leg interfence with foot space. To fold, it could hinge down (which would block access to any storage in that space), or be lifted and slid vertically into a pocket. The table in the example appears to be free-standing - a free-standing table should have a method to strap it in place while towing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought that the lower compartments were build structural related and could not be eliminated.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
watch teh weight of whatever you add. most home furnishings are NOT built to be light weight.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought that the lower compartments were build structural related and could not be eliminated.
It probably is a good idea to keep cabinet framing connected to the shell, to stiffen the shell. That doesn't mean that the cabinets can't be changed, or even largely eliminated.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
watch teh weight of whatever you add. most home furnishings are NOT built to be light weight.
Good point - the sample shown in the photo and the desks that I linked are intended for RVs, but are solidly constructed and hefty. These specific units are more commonly used in RVs weighing several tons, rather than in lightweight travel trailers. The design ideas can still be used, but with appropriate materials and construction details.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
I’d be tempted to use the door side dinette as the seating side and the bathroom side dinette as the desk. Sit side by side, maybe even a Lagun style table attched to the bath side dinette bench.

Or have a fold down desk top, secretary style, again based on the bath side dinette.

You could even put a lightweight chair on the side of the table. I have one of this aluminum side chairs like were used in schools in the 1950s. Mine actually came from a hospital. Compact and lightweight!
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
I’d be tempted to use the door side dinette as the seating side and the bathroom side dinette as the desk. Sit side by side, maybe even a Lagun style table attched to the bath side dinette bench.
That can work, too. I just wonder - would be enough elbow room to be really comfortable?
Old 08-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #9

Whatever I did I would make it reversible. And the bath side dinette has the electric panel and even some plumbing in it. So a design that maintained that dinette base would be less work.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #10

Thanks for replies!

Thank you so much for your replies and suggestions!! We totally agree that we need to retain lightweight functionality and structural integrity. Here's where we are getting our design ideas from - some absolutely amazing German engineered campers.

https://www.knaus.com/en-int/caravans/
Old 08-30-2018, 01:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19'
We are also planning to create an office workspace in the dining area of our 19' in preparation for our year-long road trip. While our planned design is very similar to yours, we think our design may be lighter in weight because it is, in essence, a backless box mounted onto the existing bench set frame, with light-weight shelves on both sides of the dining table.

We have already replaced the Escape front dinette table and its hardware with a wider but shorter table top, mounted on a single post (36" side to side and 28" front to back). The shelving unit will be deep enough to store our laptops (10") and will span the front of the dining area. We plan to keep its height just under the bottom of the window. We plan to use it either by a) sitting face to face across the dining table to both work on our laptops or b) sitting at the aft end of the table, facing the front, on a folding music bench. The only thing we will need to do to the trailer itself is to cut out a portion of the bench seats to allow the shelving unit frame to be secured to the bench seat frames while still permitting the bench seating to be lifted up to access the storage and electrical areas.
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #12

Wow, egraham, this sounds extremely functional! Would it be possible for you to post photos? We would love to see your mods!!
Old 08-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #13

As soon as it's built, I will post photos.

We just got our 19' on August 8 and spent a week dry camping. In a few weeks, we'll test the full-hookup systems. We plan to do the front desk work over the winter, up at Whistler.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #14

On longer trips with two people, don’t discount the value of a second bed area. We are on our “annual” month long trip right now. We’ve used the front dinette as a second bed several times this trip when one of us wasn’t feeling well, or not sleeping well or whatever. Now if I was going solo I’d probably convert to a rear dinette, front bed combo instead.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:14 AM   #15

Thank you for the suggestion --- but we spent 9 months on the road, together 24x7, in an 8' by 17' space and got engaged at the end of the trip. I imagine that everyone has different preferences for togetherness! And in our 19', if the need did arise, one of us could always sleep in the aisle (ho ho!)