Dinettes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Dinettes

My husband and I are deciding between the 5.0 and the 19' and I've been wondering about the dinette options. We used to have a 31' airstream that didn't have a dinette and we almost never missed it. We like to eat outside the trailer as much as possible. What we really need inside the trailer is a place to read, perhaps work on the laptop. I noticed when looking at the Casita that they have a design where they have two chairs with a table in between. I wonder if anyone has thought about that with the Escape. My trouble with the dinette is that it just doesn't seem like a place where we could lounge around -- I'd like to know what people think and whether the u-shaped dinette has advantages.

The other thing I'm wondering is the position of the cooking area in the 5.0. When we had the airstream the stove was in a similar position to the 19' with a drop down shelf accessible from outside the trailer, just like the 19'. That made it fairly simple to pass things outside for kitchen prep, cleanup, and setting the outside table. I'm wondering whether the cooking setup in the 5.0 discourages eating and preparing outside the trailer.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Re: Dinettes

I stopped in the factory a couple of months ago to have a look in person and asked about how customizable their plans were, with respect to moving things around. Generally speaking, the big restriction is the door placement, and the wheel wells. I would think that swapping out the dinette for something else that sits in the same space wouldn't be an issue. I can't speak to how expensive it might be, of course. Keep in mind that you've got some of the mechanical stored under the dinette (converter and hot water tank on the 19, I think). If you replaced the dinette with something, you'd either have to leave room for those things, or move them some place else. Both possible, but if you moved them I suspect it would mean a lot more effort and thus more cost.

But, I would think it's doable, and worth exploring with Rease and Tammy.

(I'm in your camp... I'd much rather have a more comfortable chair than a dinette. But my wife wants the dinette...)

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

Like many others in the molded fiberglass RV crowd, my wife and I cook and eat outside when weather permits. The Escape 5.0 has a buffet countertop just inside the door that we use to pass dishes, food, and such with out having to enter the trailer. And just one man's opinion, we found the dinette seating in our 17' Casita Spirit handy but uncomfortable for long term use. The more we use our 5.0, the better I like it. Order one built for your particular use and taste from Escape Industries.

David
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Hi, Ruthe! Welcome to the forum.

I am guessing that you (and I) would prefer a U-shaped dinette. I do often sit with my back against the front wall with my legs up on the cushions but I have to have an added pillow for that and it is not necessarily that comfortable. Cushions up front would be nice.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. So David, even though the stove, etc. is on the driver's side of the trailer, there is a countertop that we can use as a pass through? And I'm assuming from your comment that the u-shaped dinette is comfortable? I don't usually like booths in restaurants because I'm never close enough to the table and the straight backs aren't comfortable, but is the U-shaped arrangement more user friendly? Doug's comment about the location of the water tank, etc., made me think that putting in regular chairs probably wouldn't work so well. Can you tell me what kind of table comes with the U-shape -- Can the table be put flat on the floor when it is not in use?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #6

We are having the rear u shaped dinette installed in our 19. We like the more open lounging seating, and with both front and back, can separate when I annoy her .....often.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #7

When the front dinette is left as a bed, can large pillows be put on it to make it more like a couch?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

If you left the table out, you would have two loveseats facing each other.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

It's harder to play Scrabble or Hearts / Cribbage without a table.

baglo
Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
It's harder to play Scrabble or Hearts / Cribbage without a table.

baglo
You just use your smart phone these days, silly.

Though we did have a few rousing games of Crib with our friends on a couple cold nights on our last trip. The girls cheated, that is all I have to say on the subject. :
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

Ruthe,
Welcome to this forum. If you go to "Show your Escape" to "Factory fresh pics of a 5.0 in production" to page 3,
you will see pictures of our dinette which has the standard two removeable support posts and tabletop. They can be stored temporarly on the loft bed or in the pickup cab for more space. These trailers are much more smaller than the 31' Airstream you once had. Rear dinette seating in the 5.0 has straight back removeable cushions and one has to remember that this is built to convert into a bed. Having said that, the comfort could be better if someone forsaked the bed conversion and built improved bench seating as a mod. The benches have access doors to the batteries, water pump and water heater underneath. You will also see the buffet counter near the door. I just don't see a problem with the floor plan when cooking outside. I hope I have helped you with your questions.

David
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #12

Those are great pictures David -- it was a section of the Forum that I had overlooked. And I can see how the buffet would serve the purpose of handing food back and forth from the trailer to outside. It actually might be better than having the kitchen area adjacent to the door because it is a whole other space to put things.. I don't think that having a smaller trailer will be a problem for us because when we last used our trailer there were 2 adults, five kids and 2 cats living in it for three months at a stretch. After that a 19' or a 5.0 for two adults will seem spacious. When we had the whole family, we didn't spend much time inside the trailer. I just want to figure out the best way to utilize that dinette space.

Ruthe
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
We are having the rear u shaped dinette installed in our 19. We like the more open lounging seating, and with both front and back, can separate when I annoy her .....often.
Do you have any pictures of the final product? I sure want to pursue the lounge/dinette idea.

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #14

U shaped Dinette picture

Pictures...

Not sure if this works...

Post #120 in "if you could Design my Trailer...."
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote