do i really need an equalizer hitch? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
currinh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon
Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
Posts: 272
We have a 19 pulled with an Xterra. It came used with a WDH, I believe the "Equalizer Hitch" option. We've always used it, but have towed for a few miles without. For us the WDH is a good deal and makes towing more stable with less sway. If I bought a new trailer I'd get this option. I haven't tried the two more expensive options, but can't believe it would be that much better than our bare bones WDH.

Do you need one, well probably not. I think it's well worth it for our 19, but for a 17 it could be different.

What is the Escape option for an "Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control Bar - $475"? Is that the standard WDH with a friction sway bar added? Also what's the "E2 Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch - $625"? I Googled and found a hitch that has fixed WDH bars, is this the one? Our bare bones WDH has a chain and toggle to attach the bars to the trailer. Is it difficult to connect this E2 unit, I don't see a toggle or anything similar? Didn't in a quick search find any installation directions either.

Let us know what you decided and how it works. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Hugh Currin
2011 Escape 19
2013 Nissan XTerra
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,041
This is a commonly asked question, so perhaps these previous discussions will help:
Choosing Hitch Option
Fastway e2 wdh?
Equalizer hitch changes

After a while, they'll all blend together, because exactly the same material gets re-hashed every time.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
What is the Escape option for an "Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control Bar - $475"? Is that the standard WDH with a friction sway bar added?
Yes.
The towing equipment manufacturer (Cequent, using the Pro Series brand name) sells the WDH and an add-on device as a package, although you don't need to buy them together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Also what's the "E2 Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch - $625"? I Googled and found a hitch that has fixed WDH bars, is this the one? Our bare bones WDH has a chain and toggle to attach the bars to the trailer. Is it difficult to connect this E2 unit, I don't see a toggle or anything similar? Didn't in a quick search find any installation directions either.
I assume that by "fixed" you mean that the ends of the bars sit directly in the brackets on the trailer frame, without intervening chains. Yes, that's the E2 design, also used by some models of various other brands, and that Fastway page is for a model of the E2 hitch offered by Escape (maybe not the same E2 variant, because like most WDHs it comes in variants with different spring bar stiffness).

Because there's no chain there's no "snap up" bracket (or "toggle") with a lever to operate it; instead, the E2 comes with a different style of lever to make pulling the bar up into the bracket easier. Enthusiastic users of all WD systems insist that this effort is not an issue anyway, because by jacking the tongue up high enough (pulling the tug up by the hitch) the springs are relaxed and little force is needed.

Follow the Product Support link on that Fastway page for installation and operation instructions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: ESCAPE 2016 17'
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is a commonly asked question, so perhaps these previous discussions will help:
Choosing Hitch Option
Fastway e2 wdh?
Equalizer hitch changes

After a while, they'll all blend together, because exactly the same material gets re-hashed every time.
Really helpful info. thanks Brian!

I think I'm gonna take the basic equalizer hitch to start my trailer life.
peaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaka View Post
My old pathy is 2002, is there anything wrong to have a WDH on this generation? I heard some SUVs are not recommended to have WDH.
That's the second generation. This is significantly shorter than the later Pathfinders. Other people with SUVs of this wheelbase length (such as the RAV4) have remarked that they like having the WDH to reduce the load transfer from the tug's front axle to the rear and reaction of the tug to the trailer pitching, which is higher than it would be with more wheelbase. On the other hand, unless you check the axle loads (by measurement or by calculation) you don't know whether shifting load from rear to front is needed or even desirable.

This is fundamentally a rear wheel drive vehicle, with either part-time 4WD or (if you have this option) an automatic system which always drives the rear and also drives the front as required. This means that using a WD won't help drive traction much in any situation, and will hurt drive traction in 2WD mode, although that shouldn't be a significant concern.

This is a unibody (unitized body and frame) design. Some people insist that means that it can't use WD (which is simply not true); others argue that it is structurally unsuitable. I have absolutely no structural issue with the use of WD if the manufacturer of the vehicle says it is okay.

Recommendations not to use WD are often related to the vehicle manufacturer's concern that it will not be used properly. I have a copy of the 2001 Pathfinder owner's manual, which is presumably the same as the 2002 manual, since it is the same vehicle. This manual provides towing information but doesn't even mention WD use; this suggests to me that Nissan has no specific concern with the use of WD.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: ESCAPE 2016 17'
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's the second generation. This is significantly shorter than the later Pathfinders. Other people with SUVs of this wheelbase length (such as the RAV4) have remarked that they like having the WDH to reduce the load transfer from the tug's front axle to the rear and reaction of the tug to the trailer pitching, which is higher than it would be with more wheelbase. On the other hand, unless you check the axle loads (by measurement or by calculation) you don't know whether shifting load from rear to front is needed or even desirable.

This is fundamentally a rear wheel drive vehicle, with either part-time 4WD or (if you have this option) an automatic system which always drives the rear and also drives the front as required. This means that using a WD won't help drive traction much in any situation, and will hurt drive traction in 2WD mode, although that shouldn't be a significant concern.

This is a unibody (unitized body and frame) design. Some people insist that means that it can't use WD (which is simply not true); others argue that it is structurally unsuitable. I have absolutely no structural issue with the use of WD if the manufacturer of the vehicle says it is okay.

Recommendations not to use WD are often related to the vehicle manufacturer's concern that it will not be used properly. I have a copy of the 2001 Pathfinder owner's manual, which is presumably the same as the 2002 manual, since it is the same vehicle. This manual provides towing information but doesn't even mention WD use; this suggests to me that Nissan has no specific concern with the use of WD.

Wow, you really know a lot about pathfinder!

I just checked the manual, it says "A sway control device is recommended for all towing above 2,000 lb (907 kg). "

Is that means that I choose equalizer hitch option is just waste money? I should simply add sway control bar for a more safe tow?

Thanks again Brian
peaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaka View Post
Wow, you really know a lot about pathfinder!
A friend of mine had the first- and second-generation Pathfinders, and I have been considering getting an SUV for a specific purpose, and the third-generation might be a good fit. I happened to have a PDF copy of the 2001 manual on file, but it's usually pretty quick to download a manual to get the information needed to answer questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaka View Post
I just checked the manual, it says "A sway control device is recommended for all towing above 2,000 lb (907 kg). "

Is that means that I choose equalizer hitch option is just waste money? I should simply add sway control bar for a more safe tow?
I noticed that, and wondered if anyone else would.

Toyota had the same thing in my Sienna manual. When I called them for clarification (a decade ago) they said they no longer made that recommendation. I think it's a standard item that some manufacturers put in all their manuals, so that if you have sway problems they can say "we told you to do something about that". I don't use any sway control device, but I'm not suggesting that anyone else disregard anything in their manual. I note that it is a recommendation, not a requirement.

The E2 would presumably meet this recommendation. I don't think that the Pro Series WD would qualify unless it was used with the add-on sway control, but I'm also not sure that a sway-damping device is needed.

The fundamental purpose of a WD hitch is not sway control, although these systems do affect sway (including making stability worse if misused). The choices of WD or not and sway control or not are nearly separate, although some designs serve both purposes so if you want both functions certain designs are more attractive. If you want WD and don't see a need for a sway control device, then something like the Pro Series WD is a logical and economical choice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:26 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
currinh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon
Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes.
The towing equipment manufacturer (Cequent, using the Pro Series brand name) sells the WDH and an add-on device as a package, although you don't need to buy them together.
We have a 15' Shasta single axle trailer. I put a sway control friction arm on it. It helped with that trailer. The standard WDH seems to do similar with our 19, add a little friction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Because there's no chain there's no "snap up" bracket (or "toggle") with a lever to operate it; instead, the E2 comes with a different style of lever to make pulling the bar up into the bracket easier. Enthusiastic users of all WD systems insist that this effort is not an issue anyway, because by jacking the tongue up high enough (pulling the tug up by the hitch) the springs are relaxed and little force is needed.

Follow the Product Support link on that Fastway page for installation and operation instructions.
I found the manual and explanation, thanks. They use a "Snap-up Lever" tool to lever the bars into position. They also suggest jacking up the tongue and rear of TV to relax the load. I discovered this and it makes putting on a WDH much easier. Sometimes though, usually then the trailer and TV aren't level with each other, a little persuasion is called for.

Thanks for the info.
__________________
Hugh Currin
2011 Escape 19
2013 Nissan XTerra
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:12 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: ESCAPE 2016 17'
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This means that using a WD won't help drive traction much in any situation, and will hurt drive traction in 2WD mode
Sorry Brian, I'm a little bit confused. "……(WDH) will hurt drive traction in 2WD mode" and "……sway control device is recommended not required." So, if I am right, you actually suggest that in my case(2002 pathfinder 4x4 & escape 17B) none of the 3 hitch options provided by ETI is needed?
peaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaka View Post
Sorry Brian, I'm a little bit confused. "……(WDH) will hurt drive traction in 2WD mode" and "……sway control device is recommended not required." So, if I am right, you actually suggest that in my case(2002 pathfinder 4x4 & escape 17B) none of the 3 hitch options provided by ETI is needed?
It means that none of these equipment choices is required, and the WD part is not even recommended by Nissan (but they also don't recommend against it). It also means that drive traction is not a reason to get a WDH, but I really don't think that's an issue, because you have 4WD available, and because it's a small effect anyway.

A weight-distribution (WD) system may still be desirable, and is more likely useful here than with larger tow vehicles because of the moderately short wheelbase of the 2002 Pathfinder,
  • to shift load off of the Pathfinder's rear suspension, if it seems overwhelmed by the tongue weight plus load shifted from the front suspension - this is the fundamental purpose of WD
  • to affect motion between the trailer and Pathfinder if the Pathfinder seems like it is getting jerked around by the trailer - this is a side-effect of WD systems

Some sort of sway control device may still be desirable if the Pathfinder doesn't adequately control the direction of the trailer.

I don't use either of these types of equipment, but my tow vehicle is different in almost every way it can be.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.