do i really need an equalizer hitch? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
When you get in wind- even with a 5300 lb SUV you benefit from a WDH.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:44 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Crossing the divide with BlackJack and Andersen hookup on way to Osoyoos, both truck and trailer were pushed one lane over by wind, we went over as one, not a pair. Very frightening...
Old 06-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #23

Trailer: ESCAPE 2016 17'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
When you get in wind- even with a 5300 lb SUV you benefit from a WDH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Crossing the divide with BlackJack and Andersen hookup on way to Osoyoos, both truck and trailer were pushed one lane over by wind, we went over as one, not a pair. Very frightening...

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Really helps, safety is the first.
peaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
We have a 19 towed with an Xterra and the basic WD hitch. The headlights on an xterra are set high on the body and whenever we have any load in the back the lights raise and dine into oncoming cars. The WD hitch prevents this.
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaka View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and also new to trailers.
I have a pathfinder which has max tongue load 500lb.
and I'm getting a 17B with a storage box. My question is,
do i really need an equalizer hitch or the other 2 even more fancy options (Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control Bar / E2 Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch) ?
Anyone has experience with those things, any ideas will help?

Thanx!
For what it is worth,
I talked with a friend who pulls a travel trailer and asked his advice on this matter. He says he ought to know, he was a professional 18 wheel truck driver for over 20 years and had to deal with weight distribution. He says unless the weight of what you are pulling comes close to what your tow vehicle is rated to pull then you don't need one.

We used a sway bar on our Casita in the past and liked it.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #26

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Wdh

In the middle of a trip I stopped and bought a WDH for the 17 Casita that was being towed by a F150 super crew and I have not been without one since.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
In the middle of a trip I stopped and bought a WDH for the 17 Casita that was being towed by a F150 super crew and I have not been without one since.
Jack

I will be doing the same thing when we get our 21' next January.

What brand and model do you have?

When you are hitched up to your 21', do you have enough clearance to lower your tailgate?

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #28

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Wdh

With the Casita I bought a single bar hitch that was meant for a tent trailer or something similar. We now have the 21 and have been towing with the Jeep GC, but in the next few days we'll be leaving and towing with a Dodge Durango and using the
Andersen hitch.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
For what it is worth,
I talked with a friend who pulls a travel trailer and asked his advice on this matter. He says he ought to know, he was a professional 18 wheel truck driver for over 20 years and had to deal with weight distribution. He says unless the weight of what you are pulling comes close to what your tow vehicle is rated to pull then you don't need one.
I mean no disrespect to your friend, but I don't think any number of years towing 20-ton fifth-wheel semi-trailers with ten-ton tractors which are designed specifically for towing would provide anyone with any useful understanding either of weight-distributing hitches (which are not used in commercial towing, not used with large trailers, and not used with any size of fifth-wheel trailer), or of towing small trailers with passenger vehicles and pickup trucks.

One lesson of the trucking experience might be that for each axle there is a gross axle weight rating which must not be exceeded; that would be relevant since the purpose of a weight-distributing hitch is to reduce the load on the tow vehicle's rear axle. Unfortunately, the size of trailer which might lead to overloading of that rear axle is unrelated to the tow rating of the vehicle, so that tip is not valid. For many of our tow vehicles the tow rating is entirely a function of the drivetrain (engine, transmission, drive axles), so it has nothing to do with the factors that lead to the use of WD.

For illustration, pick any SUV or light truck that comes with a choice of engines. The tow rating will likely vary significantly between the engines, and even with the same engine it will often depend on a towing package consisting of a transmission fluid cooler. Selecting a bigger engine or a transmission cooler does not change the ability of the vehicle to handle hitch weight or to control a trailer, so they have no effect on the amount of tongue weight or size of trailer which requires equipment such as a WD hitch or sway control device.

If you want a single easy-to-follow guideline which is far more valid, try this: do what the owner's manual of your specific tow vehicle says.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaka View Post
Anyone has experience with those things, any ideas will help?

Thanx!
Here is what I would do.
1. Buy and install the Pro Tow WDH.

2.Set up your hitch to tow level or slightly nose down

3. Use the money you save to buy a Sherline scale with 1,000 lb gauge.

4.Load your camper and weigh it.

5. Adjust your tongue weight to be 12 to 15 percent of the camper weight using the Sherline.

6. Take her out on the highway and run her up and down a few times and when nobody is around, jerk the wheel a couple of times. Might as well see what she'll do in a non crisis situation.
Just my opinion, as Donna says YMMV
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"If you want a single easy-to-follow guideline which is far more valid, try this: do what the owner's manual of your specific tow vehicle says.
Exactly! The Owners Manual of our Ford Explorer gives a Tow Rating of 5000# "With Weight Distribution Hitch". We love the feeling of one unit connectivity too

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Here is what I would do.
1. Buy and install the Pro Tow WDH....
Dave, I assume that was intended to be "Pro Series WDH", the less expensive of Escape's options. Of course any other brand of basic two-bars-and-chains WDH would work the same way.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Quote:
If you want a single easy-to-follow guideline which is far more valid, try this: do what the owner's manual of your specific tow vehicle says.
Exactly! The Owners Manual of our Ford Explorer gives a Tow Rating of 5000# "With Weight Distribution Hitch". We love the feeling of one unit connectivity too
Manuals typically also provide a trailer weight limit with weight-carrying hitch (or without weight distribution hitch). That gives the straightforward answer to whether or not the manufacturer says WD is needed.

This is what Ford actually says for the 2015 Explorer, on page 275 of the owner's manual:
Quote:
For towing trailers up to 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), use a weight-carrying hitch and ball. For towing trailers over 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), up to the maximum trailer weight, we recommend you use a weight-distributing hitch.
So if you want a quick-and-dirty, rule-of-thumb answer to for what trailer to use WD with this particular tug (not the one the original poster is asking about), the answer is 3500 pounds. In Escape terms, that means the 19' and 21' models.

For the 2002 Pathfinder that the original poster has, the equivalent quick answer was given in post #15: WD is not required with any weight of trailer, although of course rear axle load must stay within its GAWR.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Dave, I assume that was intended to be "Pro Series WDH", the less expensive of Escape's options. Of course any other brand of basic two-bars-and-chains WDH would work the same way.
Yup, I have had too many similar phrases through my mind in the
Past 68 years and get them mixed up if I don't double check. I'm hanging 4 loose links with the Highlander and the Escape 19 with 14 inch tires. If dead level or the tongue slightly "up" with the ball on the hitch, flipping the tension yolks is easy (er) for me. When I'm feeling real good I can do it without the provided cheater. Nose down hard, not so much.
Thanks
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
For what it is worth,

We used a sway bar on our Casita in the past and liked it.

Nancy, yes, what he says is basically correct. So when someone has a great big powerful heavy truck that can tow nearly twice or more of the loaded weight of a small trailer, it is generally thought that a WDH is of little use.

Many, if not most, of those towing fiberglass trailers are doing so with small trucks or SUVs or other passenger vehicles that do not have very much weight or towing capacity in comparison to the load. So probably most of us can benefit from a WDH.

We do not have new numbers. Our old WDH numbers though have us transferring nearly 200 lbs. to the front of the tow vehicle and 100 lbs. back to the trailer, off of the tongue or off of the back of the tow vehicle. We consider that to make the towing situation more stable as it can affect the front wheels of the vehicle for the better.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Have to wonder what he would say if his truck was front-wheel-drive.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
I mean no disrespect to your friend, but I don't think any number of years towing 20-ton fifth-wheel semi-trailers with ten-ton tractors which are designed specifically for towing would provide anyone with any useful understanding either of weight-distributing hitches (which are not used in commercial towing, not used with large trailers, and not used with any size of fifth-wheel trailer), or of towing small trailers with passenger vehicles and pickup trucks.
Brian you said exactly what I was thinking
Old 06-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Brian you said exactly what I was thinking
If you are taking issue with the trucker's comment, instead of simply knocking his experience that you may or may not have, either of you please explain.

He is saying, in effect, that you need a WDH when the weight you are pulling comes close to your tow vehicle capacity. That is what we most see in fiberglass situations, and hence, many use a WDH for that very reason. The fact there there are a number of possible considerations does not detract from his basically correct statement.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
The fact there there are a number of possible considerations does not detract from his basically correct statement.
I read that he is dismissing WDH and I don't think he knows what he is talking about. Not going to ask him for financial or medical advice either.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I read that he is dismissing WDH and I don't think he knows what he is talking about. Not going to ask him for financial or medical advice either.
Well, maybe so, but I did not take it that way because that is probably the majority of our situations, as he describes. That our weights are pretty close to towing capacity, so a WDH would be good. He would be right in our cases if you read how it applies to us.