Doin' it My Way - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Doin' it My Way

Went to ETI Wednesday to have them put in my new mattress for the front, install the high lift axle kit, convert to a detachable power cord and finally give “Escaping Reality” a permanent name. And what a good time to have the experts install the new solar panel brackets.

The brackets don't look bad and what the heck, you can't see them anyway unless you're on a ladder or in the cab of a semi. On the 17B the bolts are inside the overhead cabinets so the pucker in the head liner can't be seen.

The high axle lift doesn't give more axle to ground clearance but I now have a full 12” clearance for the sewer lines. Is that necessary? I don't really know but I'll feel better.

Aw yes, the new mattress, it not only feels mighty good but making the bed is a whole lot easier because the mattress is a scosh narrower and a scosh shorter and now there's no longer 4 cushions to fight. I went for the front bed for a few other reasons: 1- I want the room, and power accessibility, the rear dinette offers for hobbies, 2- If any of the grand kids or great grand kids want to spend the night in the trailer there'll be room for a couple of them to sleep and I'll still have “my bed”, and 3- The small awning windows at both the head and foot of “my bed” offer a nice fresh breeze. Oh, and 4- There's no way this Ole Man can fall outta bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I Now Have a Name.jpg (122.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Side View of My New Bed.jpg (125.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg The Head.jpg (158.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Foot of My New Bed.jpg (72.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg The Pucker.jpg (109.5 KB, 41 views)

2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
making the bed is a whole lot easier because the mattress is a scosh narrower and a scosh shorter
I'm sorry but we Canadians are bi-measurers. Are those metric or imperial scoshes?

Just plugged in my light duty extension cord today to get the fridge cooled down for departure tomorrow. Had the thought that I'm glad that I have the detachable cord so that I don't have get out the heavy cord for a limited use situation. Very handy option to have.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm sorry but we Canadians are bi-measurers. Are those metric or imperial scoshes?

Just plugged in my light duty extension cord today to get the fridge cooled down for departure tomorrow. Had the thought that I'm glad that I have the detachable cord so that I don't have get out the heavy cord for a limited use situation. Very handy option to have.

Ron

Don't we all have that option already? I just unplug my 110 fridge line and use an extension cord into the garage.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #4

No, it's still a $150.00 option, but after shoving muddy cords back into the Scamp, seems well worth the cost. Plus, allows light duty cords to be used at times when the heavy cable isn't required.

Ron
Old 08-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Hi Pat,

I ordered the high axle lift as well because I plan on doing a lot of boondocking and thought it would be good for possible rough country roads. Kind of confused now by you saying it doesn't give more axle to ground clearance. Could you help me understand?

p.s. the bed looks great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
The high axle lift doesn't give more axle to ground clearance but I now have a full 12” clearance for the sewer lines. Is that necessary? I don't really know but I'll feel better.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
No, it's still a $150.00 option, but after shoving muddy cords back into the Scamp, seems well worth the cost. Plus, allows light duty cords to be used at times when the heavy cable isn't required.

Ron
How about $32 for a 25 foot 30A extension cord?
Amazon.com: Camco 55191 25' PowerGrip Electrical Power Cord with Handle: Automotive
Just leave your hard-wired one coiled in its storage spot, and plug the end into the extension cord, then to your power source.
You'll also have extra length for that occasional camp spot with the power pedestal far away.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Hi Pat,

I ordered the high axle lift as well because I plan on doing a lot of boondocking and thought it would be good for possible rough country roads. Kind of confused now by you saying it doesn't give more axle to ground clearance. Could you help me understand?

p.s. the bed looks great!!!
Ellen, the high lift option raises the trailer body and what's attached to it a couple of inches, but the axle height is the same with or without it. There are risers above the axle, and the trailer therefore sits higher. There's more to it than this, because the axle is really a square tube with a metal rod and torsion rubber rods inside it, and it isn't lined up exactly in line with the wheel hubs like a solid axle. But, the lift isn't achieved by raising the axle, but raising what's above it.

You WILL get more clearance on the underbody, and that means tanks, the sewer connection, etc.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Ahhhh, ok, I get it now. And now it makes perfect sense.
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Ellen, the high lift option raises the trailer body and what's attached to it a couple of inches, but the axle height is the same with or without it. There are risers above the axle, and the trailer therefore sits higher.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
How about $32 for a 25 foot 30A extension cord?
Amazon.com: Camco 55191 25' PowerGrip Electrical Power Cord with Handle: Automotive
Just leave your hard-wired one coiled in its storage spot, and plug the end into the extension cord, then to your power source.
You'll also have extra length for that occasional camp spot with the power pedestal far away.
My reason for disliking the fixed cord on the Scamp, which I converted to detachable, was having to shove it inside where it certainly didn't coil up neatly, hit nearby electrical fittings and if not well cleaned contaminated everything it touched.

Ron
Old 08-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
My reason for disliking the fixed cord on the Scamp, which I converted to detachable, was having to shove it inside where it certainly didn't coil up neatly, hit nearby electrical fittings and if not well cleaned contaminated everything it touched.

Ron
Ron my cord was tangled too so when I got home added a1/4 piece of plywood to the frame underneath , few screws into frame . I left the front where the pump is open . Never had a problem since . Also just wipe the cord as I put it back . There is a little rubber plug goes around the cord to close up opening so I don't get uninvited friends in . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote