Doin' it My Way - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Doin' it My Way

Went to ETI Wednesday to have them put in my new mattress for the front, install the high lift axle kit, convert to a detachable power cord and finally give “Escaping Reality” a permanent name. And what a good time to have the experts install the new solar panel brackets.

The brackets don't look bad and what the heck, you can't see them anyway unless you're on a ladder or in the cab of a semi. On the 17B the bolts are inside the overhead cabinets so the pucker in the head liner can't be seen.

The high axle lift doesn't give more axle to ground clearance but I now have a full 12” clearance for the sewer lines. Is that necessary? I don't really know but I'll feel better.

Aw yes, the new mattress, it not only feels mighty good but making the bed is a whole lot easier because the mattress is a scosh narrower and a scosh shorter and now there's no longer 4 cushions to fight. I went for the front bed for a few other reasons: 1- I want the room, and power accessibility, the rear dinette offers for hobbies, 2- If any of the grand kids or great grand kids want to spend the night in the trailer there'll be room for a couple of them to sleep and I'll still have “my bed”, and 3- The small awning windows at both the head and foot of “my bed” offer a nice fresh breeze. Oh, and 4- There's no way this Ole Man can fall outta bed.
Attached Thumbnails
I Now Have a Name.jpg   Side View of My New Bed.jpg   The Head.jpg   Foot of My New Bed.jpg   The Pucker.jpg  

2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
making the bed is a whole lot easier because the mattress is a scosh narrower and a scosh shorter
I'm sorry but we Canadians are bi-measurers. Are those metric or imperial scoshes?

Just plugged in my light duty extension cord today to get the fridge cooled down for departure tomorrow. Had the thought that I'm glad that I have the detachable cord so that I don't have get out the heavy cord for a limited use situation. Very handy option to have.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm sorry but we Canadians are bi-measurers. Are those metric or imperial scoshes?

Just plugged in my light duty extension cord today to get the fridge cooled down for departure tomorrow. Had the thought that I'm glad that I have the detachable cord so that I don't have get out the heavy cord for a limited use situation. Very handy option to have.

Ron

Don't we all have that option already? I just unplug my 110 fridge line and use an extension cord into the garage.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #4

No, it's still a $150.00 option, but after shoving muddy cords back into the Scamp, seems well worth the cost. Plus, allows light duty cords to be used at times when the heavy cable isn't required.

Ron
Old 08-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Hi Pat,

I ordered the high axle lift as well because I plan on doing a lot of boondocking and thought it would be good for possible rough country roads. Kind of confused now by you saying it doesn't give more axle to ground clearance. Could you help me understand?

p.s. the bed looks great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
The high axle lift doesn't give more axle to ground clearance but I now have a full 12” clearance for the sewer lines. Is that necessary? I don't really know but I'll feel better.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
No, it's still a $150.00 option, but after shoving muddy cords back into the Scamp, seems well worth the cost. Plus, allows light duty cords to be used at times when the heavy cable isn't required.

Ron
How about $32 for a 25 foot 30A extension cord?
Amazon.com: Camco 55191 25' PowerGrip Electrical Power Cord with Handle: Automotive
Just leave your hard-wired one coiled in its storage spot, and plug the end into the extension cord, then to your power source.
You'll also have extra length for that occasional camp spot with the power pedestal far away.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Hi Pat,

I ordered the high axle lift as well because I plan on doing a lot of boondocking and thought it would be good for possible rough country roads. Kind of confused now by you saying it doesn't give more axle to ground clearance. Could you help me understand?

p.s. the bed looks great!!!
Ellen, the high lift option raises the trailer body and what's attached to it a couple of inches, but the axle height is the same with or without it. There are risers above the axle, and the trailer therefore sits higher. There's more to it than this, because the axle is really a square tube with a metal rod and torsion rubber rods inside it, and it isn't lined up exactly in line with the wheel hubs like a solid axle. But, the lift isn't achieved by raising the axle, but raising what's above it.

You WILL get more clearance on the underbody, and that means tanks, the sewer connection, etc.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Ahhhh, ok, I get it now. And now it makes perfect sense.
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Ellen, the high lift option raises the trailer body and what's attached to it a couple of inches, but the axle height is the same with or without it. There are risers above the axle, and the trailer therefore sits higher.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
How about $32 for a 25 foot 30A extension cord?
Amazon.com: Camco 55191 25' PowerGrip Electrical Power Cord with Handle: Automotive
Just leave your hard-wired one coiled in its storage spot, and plug the end into the extension cord, then to your power source.
You'll also have extra length for that occasional camp spot with the power pedestal far away.
My reason for disliking the fixed cord on the Scamp, which I converted to detachable, was having to shove it inside where it certainly didn't coil up neatly, hit nearby electrical fittings and if not well cleaned contaminated everything it touched.

Ron
Old 08-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
My reason for disliking the fixed cord on the Scamp, which I converted to detachable, was having to shove it inside where it certainly didn't coil up neatly, hit nearby electrical fittings and if not well cleaned contaminated everything it touched.

Ron
Ron my cord was tangled too so when I got home added a1/4 piece of plywood to the frame underneath , few screws into frame . I left the front where the pump is open . Never had a problem since . Also just wipe the cord as I put it back . There is a little rubber plug goes around the cord to close up opening so I don't get uninvited friends in . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have never had a problem with dirty/muddy electric cord in either of my trailers. I like that I only pull out what I need and it doesn't need to lay on the ground. A paper towel wipes off moisture as I feed it back in the hole. I guess I just don't understand folks complaints when I've never experienced any of the issues described.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #12

Well, as you can tell, I'm really happy to have the detachable cord. It works for me. But I have noticed, when that option has been discussed, there's a split in opinions (what else is new ) and some folks like the fixed cord.

All I know is after buying the pieces and doing the work to convert my Scamp over I was happy it was an option on the Escape.

Ron
Old 08-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm with Donna. I've had no issues. And, the cord doesn't get tangled in anything. I also don't put anything else in that compartment to tangle it. Electrical panel is behind panel on left.
Attached Thumbnails
Cord 1.jpg   Cord 2.jpg   Cord 3.jpg  
Old 08-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
My reason for disliking the fixed cord on the Scamp, which I converted to detachable, was having to shove it inside where it certainly didn't coil up neatly, hit nearby electrical fittings...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ron my cord was tangled too so when I got home added a 1/4 piece of plywood to the frame underneath , few screws into frame . I left the front where the pump is open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
... the cord doesn't get tangled in anything. I also don't put anything else in that compartment to tangle it.
The common theme: there shouldn't be anything else in the cord compartment.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #15

Quote:
I'm with Donna. I've had no issues. And, the cord doesn't get tangled in anything. I also don't put anything else in that compartment to tangle it. Electrical panel is behind panel on left.
Hi Glen in the 19 the cord can get tangled in a lot of things . It goes under the bed . So if you don't separate it and confin it you get it tangled . Because it is under the bed you put other things there . That is your big storage . Also for me chose to not have a separate cord which I might leave behind ,don't ask me how I know this . And like Donna has said just pull out what you need . I carry a extra also in case I need more . Haven't used that yet .for the critters I have a round rubber plug that goes around the cord . Pat
Old 08-08-2015, 10:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The common theme: there shouldn't be anything else in the cord compartment.
In my previous motor home and camper the cord went in a nice box . No problem . With the 19 it is impossible unless you confine it somehow . Someone on the forum made a cool bag for cord . I wanted to do that too . It was just easier to screw a piece of plywood on frame . Easypeasy . Pat
Old 08-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Looking at your picture . On the 19 the bed doesn't open there so you have to crawl underneath to untangle . Pat
Old 08-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We made a bag for the cord and tried it by feeding the cord into the bag while one of us held it in place, it just did not want to go into the bag very easily. Plan B. We enclosed the space adjacent to the water heater tank with heavy window screen usually called Pet Screen. It has worked well so far this season with no tangles , screen is holding up. Screen is held in place with staples from the air stapler. Lightweight and easily removable if the need arises. We still have plenty of room straight in where the under bed doors are located for a couple of tubs and next to them, our two bag chairs and a few small items accessible from an outside hatch door.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Well, as you can tell, I'm really happy to have the detachable cord. It works for me. But I have noticed, when that option has been discussed, there's a split in opinions (what else is new ) and some folks like the fixed cord.

All I know is after buying the pieces and doing the work to convert my Scamp over I was happy it was an option on the Escape.

Ron
It's ALL good. I only reply to these when I hear about tangled cords and pushing wet/muddy cords back into the trailer because we have a lot of first time trailer newbies. It's important for those folks to know, it doesn't have to be that way. Pulling out only what you need or getting the detachable cord option, both work. If people are working on build sheets and (like me needing to put the brakes on the expenses), this could be an option not necessarily needed. It's not like a pull out cord is a total failure. It's not a failure at all. Different strokes for different folks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
As I get a little older I find forgetting things is more prevalent and frustrating than convenience and neat features are important to me. Last weekend I left a dog tieout cable behind. But my attached electrical cord always gets put away because of the door frame checklist "installed" by previous owner AZJack. Just needs a little updating to include dog amenities. The attached electrical cord works for us and while I like the idea and appearance of the detachable cord, if I was ordering a new trailer I'd go with the attached cord because I know what's good for me. Had a beautiful 1 inch rain here last night. Should finish filling out the ears and sizing up the beans. A "million dollar rain" as they call it around here.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote