Door Grab Handle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Door Grab Handle

Ho-humm, waiting for the flooring for my kitchen reno to arrive, waiting for my security camera system to arrive, what little project can I do to wile away my time?

I know, I found a piece of 1/2" stainless tube when I was cleaning up stuff, maybe I'll make a grab handle for the door. We've been in windy places where trying to control the door was almost impossible with the little handle.

I know several folks have installed a ready made handle but I haven't come across one and I always do things the hard way.

Luckily I have a tube bender for 1/2" tube so, wham bam, one door handle. By popular request, from my wife, the handle is horizontal so that if the door is open it'll be easy to reach a part of the handle and pull the door closed when you're inside.

I was happy that the f.g. was thicker than I expected so that's good and I also used adhesive to bond the base plates to the f.g. Feels solid as a rock.

The only problem that I can see happening is that it'll get used as a dish towel rack and the one time I really need to grab the handle in a hurry my fingers will slip off because of whatever's on it. Note; must tell wifey that it's not a towel rack.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0014_resize.JPG   IMGP0015_resize.jpg   handle rotated_resize.jpg   IMGP0002_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I wish I could do stuff with metal like that. You glued the plates (with four corner holes) to the door? What adhesive, and If I made a grab bar from wood would it hold as well?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Duuude, just make a smaller, thinner bar that hangs from that one for the dish towel. Another fun project and problem solved!
Old 04-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
A very nice and professional looking modification
Does the bar have a polished or brushed finish ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Will it clear the screen?
Old 04-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With Ron in the designer seat, is there any doubt?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My trailer came with a simple grab handle on the door. I can only guess it was dropped because it would interfere with the sliding screen ( mine is a bifold screen ).
Very handy when opening the door in gale-force winds.
Attached Thumbnails
door handle.jpg   door gasket and trash.jpg  
Old 04-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Fine work as always, Ron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
You glued the plates (with four corner holes) to the door?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I was happy that the f.g. was thicker than I expected so that's good and I also used adhesive to bond the base plates to the f.g. Feels solid as a rock.
From Ron's description and the photos I assume that the holes are used for rivets or self-tapping screws, in addition to the adhesive.

Quote:
The only problem that I can see happening is that it'll get used as a dish towel rack and the one time I really need to grab the handle in a hurry my fingers will slip off because of whatever's on it. Note; must tell wifey that it's not a towel rack.
It looks like you now need to make even more convenient towel racks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Very nice, Ron. We miss being able to attach useful things to the door as we could on our 1G 17B. 2G 19 screen door is nice but eliminates some options for utility. Would love an auxiliary handle on our new door but haven’t figured out how to yet.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I want to see how Red Green would solve this handle issue
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #11

Quote:
You glued the plates (with four corner holes) to the door? What adhesive, and If I made a grab bar from wood would it hold as well?
As Brian correctly suspected, each plate is held on with 4 pop rivets and silicone adhesive. Not as strong as 3M 52 or 5300 but with 4 mechanical fasteners per side I doubt that it's going anywhere.

Using wood would be more difficult but possible. The goal is to spread the load out and avoid a single point load from say 1 or two fasteners. The door skin is thin and care has to be taken with the attachment points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Duuude, just make a smaller, thinner bar that hangs from that one for the dish towel. Another fun project and problem solved!
Actually she doesn't lack for towel bars so I hope that I don't have to resort to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Does the bar have a polished or brushed finish ?
I usually order polished s/s if I'm buying it for a project but this was some scrap with a brushed finish. I wet sanded it to 600 grit and buffed it.
The discoloration is from welding on the back. I used pickle paste to remove it and then buffed it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hey, I won't lie, I've made a lot of stuff and I have made boo-boo's like that but, no, I did check that it would clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

From Ron's description and the photos I assume that the holes are used for rivets in addition to the adhesive.

It looks like you now need to make even more convenient towel racks.
Right, belt and braces. Nope, I'm all done making towel racks.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-06-2014 2-01-28 PM2_resize.jpg   P4300083_resize.jpg  
Old 04-05-2018, 12:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Nice rack ya got there, sir.

One of the things I appreciate about this forum is all the terrifically talented folks who can imagine a solution to a problem, create something from this and that, AND know just how to do it. And then they share.

Another thing I love is being exposed to new things. Pickle paste? Had to google it.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Pickle paste? Had to google it.
And no matter what write-ups say, it's even nastier stuff. I've been known to sometimes skip wearing safety glasses or hand protection but one tiny splash a long time ago got my attention of just how nasty this stuff is. But it does a great job, especially if the part isn't going to be electropolished. But I'm thinking that they've toned down the formula in the last few years. Seems to take a little more agitation to get the same results.

Ron
Old 04-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #14

Myron, where you looking at this photo thinking that it might also serve as a handrail for stepping down from the trailer?

If so, a couple of thoughts. The forces between it acting as a grab handle, as I want, and it acting as a grab rail for steadying a person are considerable and the forces transferred to the door are different. Given the thin nature of the f.g. it would be important to design the base so that the handle, acting as a lever, wouldn't flex the f.g. and create an eventual failure.

If I were to design a grab bar for that location I'd use two vertical pieces of wood about 6" long and the same width as the raised area that my bases are mounted on. Being the same width as the raised area would utilize the small vertical ajacent area which would then act as a web and give more strength. This and the large surface area installed with screws and adhesive should make a handle base capable of supported a sudden transfer of weight to the handle. A convention grab bar could then be installed on the base.

And if that's not what you were thinking then this was just a little mental exercise to get my brain up and running for the day.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0002_resize.JPG  
Old 04-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Ron have to go to work right now but I would like to give my two cents if it is alright . I had Escape put a extra grab handle on our door frame . Since then because our door is so light and any breeze can grab it from you added a another grab handle and strap on that to make sure I have a good hold of it before the breeze takes it from us. I would never put any weight on the added door grab handle but would on the door frame grab handle . I show this as a problem in the beginning but couldn't get Escape to add like the lend of hand or anything else substantial for grabbing entering and leaving the trailer . So like you handle on door a lot , basically is what I wanted to say . Your handle looks to accomplish the breeze problem too. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
No-no Ron, a grab handle on the door not for exiting the trailer but for reaching out to close the door from the inside (and hanging towels). Agreed, fellas, the safe thing to grab when entering or exiting would be only the vertical grab handles.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #17

Actually I've been in and out of the trailer several times today. It's such a ergonomically natural place to put a hand when exiting I can see it being used as an exit support handle.

But, yes, the principle use is to control the door during high winds. I can think of at least 3 times when the door was ripped from my grasp in fierce winds.

Ron
Old 04-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #18

Quote:
No-no Ron, a grab handle on the door not for exiting the trailer but for reaching out to close the door from the inside (and hanging towels). Agreed, fellas, the safe thing to grab when entering or exiting would be only the vertical grab handles.
Whew Myron ! I know you need something other then the door lock to grab . Pat
Old 04-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Actually I've been in and out of the trailer several times today. It's such a ergonomically natural place to put a hand when exiting I can see it being used as an exit support handle.

But, yes, the principle use is to control the door during high winds. I can think of at least 3 times when the door was ripped from my grasp in fierce winds.

Ron
Yours is nicer then mine Ron ! Here's a picture of ours . It's something to grab . All I can say is it works . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0322.jpg  
Old 04-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
All I can say is it works . Pat
Yes, horizontal seems much better than vertical and that's a heck of a lot more handle to grab than original.

Ron